DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should i sell my Pro and buy an Air?

Keep the Pro.
Buy a bigger bag.
Two inches in size never changed anything. (My wife might disagree.)

Haha I knew this would happen [emoji3] Anyone with a Pro will speak up for it, anyone with an Air will speak up for that. If I still had my Pro I’d be saying buy the Pro, forget the Air- now I’m saying the opposite.
The truth is they’re both great products and you wouldn’t be disappointed with either.

I own both and would say either will work. I do like the size of the air and with the right SD card you can really pull some incredible images. Here is my latest video about the air. BTW I'm planning on selling my pro soon.

Reactions: JonnyBenson
If you don't need to fly further than 4km and if you don't need the longer flight time, the Air is a no-brainer in my opinion. Much smaller, much lighter, the remote is a lot easier to pack, image quality is significantly better, more obstacle avoidance, wider lens, and the overall design is better. At least from my reading and YouTube binge, which is admittedly not a proper sample size, it seemed like a fair amount of people switched from the Pro to the Air when it came out.

In addition to 3 months of research, I tested both extensively before buying and went with the air. My WiFi has also been rock solid out to 2km (haven't flown farther yet) in urban and non-urban areas. I have yet to see anything other than max signal strength. I don't like the goggles, so YMMV on that one.

There are legitimate reasons to own both. If you want over 4km range or need more than 21 minutes flight time, the Pro is the only option for a foldable drone right now. If you are OK with a bit less in each department, the Air bests the Pro in most other important ways such as image quality, portability, and obstacle avoidance. Personally, I think the biggest reason not to get the Pro right now is that the Pro II will be announced any time now. If you want the Pro, wait for the II. If you want to start flying right away, go for the Air. I bought the Air, but if the Pro II blows my mind and doesn't get any bigger than it already is, I might switch. If it gets bigger and/or only gets a 1/1.7" sensor, I will probably pass and go right to a Phantom 4 Pro 2.0 to compliment my air.

Some great replies on here, thanks.

But i'm still torn [emoji17]

Any idea when the new Pro will be released?

Not really, might be this month might be never! If it’s bigger than the current Pro I’ll be giving it a wide berth. Once you’ve had something as small and capable as the Air you can’t go back!

I wouldn't try to wait for the next drone to come up, because the rumor mill about Mavic Air 2 will pretty much instantly take off as soon as the Mavic Pro 2 releases -if it ever does at all to be honest-. There are people who withheld their purchase of a drone in anticipation of the MP2, and that was months ago. All that time waiting you'll miss the opportunity to take a shot, which is what these drones are all about.

There's nothing but rumors about the MP2, all from one single source who tends to have a play with the facts by throwing in deliberate faulty information on occasion. For all we know, the MP2 could release next week, or in december 2021. Unless there's an official statement from DJI, there's nothing to go on really. Don't forget, when DJI announces a new product, it usually takes a while before it's widely available with unbiased reviews. You can use thát time to figure out if you want to go for it or not.

Reactions: Fedexultra
Size matters. Small size that is. The best drone is the one, you have with you. That is more likely to be an Air than a Pro. There are other aspects that can be evaluated either way, but the size is an ablsolute, nothing relative about it. So getting the Air is a good idea in my opinion. If you have to sell the pro to free up the funds, so be it.

I think that once you've been spoiled by the Occusync connection technology in the Pro, you might be a little disappointed with the WiFi connectivity in the Air, but a lot of that depends on your environment, interference, topography, etc. OR it might not matter as much if you always fly in VLOS.

Reactions: Stevezphoto

Original rumors said March, then April, then the rumors said a delay to June...and here we are in June :) Photokina is at the end of September this year, that would likely be the next logical place to announce if they wanted a "world stage". They announced the Air on it's own though (after CES), so that would suggest that it really could come at any time. Rumors have slowed down a lot though, we're kind of in "wait and see" mode now. Unless we get a surprise, I wouldn't expect anything until end of summer but that's just a personal guess.

I waited until mid-April for the Pro II before just buying the Air, mostly because all the newer rumors suggested a much smaller sensor, much closer to the existing sensor and no where near 1". Zero regrets, I only wish I bought it sooner.

I think the Air is an idea of what's to come from DJI. The size and censor capabilities are improving at a significant rate. I believe the Air is about as small in a stability stand point as they should go..

Reactions: pelagic_one
I wouldn't try to wait for the next drone to come up, because the rumor mill about Mavic Air 2 will pretty much instantly take off as soon as the Mavic Pro 2 releases -if it ever does at all to be honest-. There are people who withheld their purchase of a drone in anticipation of the MP2, and that was months ago. All that time waiting you'll miss the opportunity to take a shot, which is what these drones are all about.

There's nothing but rumors about the MP2, all from one single source who tends to have a play with the facts by throwing in deliberate faulty information on occasion. For all we know, the MP2 could release next week, or in december 2021. Unless there's an official statement from DJI, there's nothing to go on really. Don't forget, when DJI announces a new product, it usually takes a while before it's widely available with unbiased reviews. You can use thát time to figure out if you want to go for it or not.
I'm not waiting, i was just curious. It'll either be an Air in couple of weeks or i'll keep hold of my Pro [emoji4]

I'm not waiting, i was just curious. It'll either be an Air in couple of weeks or i'll keep hold of my Pro [emoji4]
Of course! :) Good thing you already have a pro, so you do have something good to shoot with. Just saying that if you are considering an upgrade and you like what's out there at the moment, you should just get it since tech like this is ever developing and there's always something new and better around the corner. Especially in your case where you like the Air's small size. Rumor has it that the MP2 will be larger, which makes sense if DJI wants to include more technology and a longer flighttime.

Not one, but only done about 30 flights. It has been solid as a rock though....When I first got it I wanted to test the range just the once and got it to 1.4 km before bottling out. It had one tiny glitch but it lasted a couple of secs at most, and I was only 50 metres altitude.

50 meters! I guess that’s why. If you were higher you would have better connection from you drone to your RC

Also note the antenna orientation is important for your reception. The flat part of the antenna should be pointed at the drone, and the antennas parallel to each other for maximum gain. Pointed out at a 45 degree angle is a good general rule, but if you're going to be flying high above yourself, laying them flat would be better.

50 meters! I guess that’s why. If you were higher you would have better connection from you drone to your RC
Yes I appreciate that, I kept reasonably low to see how it would handle a lower altitude range test. I reckon c1.5k. Is more than enough

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada