DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I start removing the sticks from the remote controller?

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

I carry and store my MA and accessories in a hard case from MC-CASES custom made for the MA (pictured below)

1578219963844.png

The case has a compartment for the remote shaped such that I can put it there without having to unscrew the control sticks and I do so. But lately, I have been experiencing some issues with the controller's sticks sticking. If this happens before or as I turn on the remote, the remote beeps to let me know the sticks are not centered and I go through the stick calibration. But sometimes, the sticking happens mid flight and the MA starts drifting to whichever direction the RC stick is stuck on. Today, the MA drifted into a nearby tree; clipping some of the branches before I pulled myself together and landed it right where it was (the MA was under the tree canopy luckily). I knew it was a sticky stick from the nature of the drift but was unable to verify this until the MA had landed and powered off since the app won't let you access the stick calibration settings. After landing and powering off the AC, I was able to access the setting and I find that the right stick was stuck on 32% down and 12% to the right. I didn't even have to do a stick calibration, I just pushed it about and rotated it in every direction and it returned to its neutral position and I was able to fly soon after.

So my question is, is it perhaps better to unscrew the sticks during storage and transport to prevent/minimize the chances of this kind of sticking occurring? Is there a cleaning/maintenance procedure I don't know of? I would love to hear other people's experience and would appreciate any advice. Many thanks in advance!

So what's your idea behind this ... does the case interior make the sticks to be positioned in another way then neutral?

Can’t see it being a problem caused by the case unless as slup says & it holds the sticks tightly in a bad position.
You can’t remove the sticks on a MP so shouldn’t cause problems with a MA.

Are they getting stuck at a strange angel on the controller itself ? Could be a little dirt found it’s way in’ a blast with can of compressed air may help.

I have several cases from mc. Probably would be hard to find a better made case. The dirt(or something)idea is what you’re dealing with.

I have several cases from mc. Probably would be hard to find a better made case. The dirt(or something)idea is what you’re dealing with.
I do like the case and am very satisfied with it. I am not claiming it is the cause; sorry if I my post gave that impression. I was just wondering if it would be all the more sensible to remove the sticks when not in use as a general practice and in this particular case to minimize the chances of a stick sticking. But dirt may be the main issue here and I will thoroughly clean the RC.

I do like the case and am very satisfied with it. I am not claiming it is the cause; sorry if I my post gave that impression. I was just wondering if it would be all the more sensible to remove the sticks when not in use as a general practice and in this particular case to minimize the chances of a stick sticking. But dirt may be the main issue here and I will thoroughly clean the RC.
I don't know about the case at all (although it looks lovely), but I have come to the opposite conclusion: I try to avoid removing the sticks if it all possible. I almost never get the stick calibration tones when I have left the sticks on the controller, compared with almost always getting them when they are reinstalled after being stored in the MA bag.

I remove mine. They store in the controller. Personal preference since it shipped that way.
I think I will start doing that; is there a down side to doing this other than the possibility of loosing them? Like the screw threads wearing out perhaps?

I prefer not to remove them, as I was concerned about cross threading them, over tightening, etc. I store my MA in a hard case, with cut outs and stick protector. MA casejpg.jpg No problem with sticks or calibration notification. I don't think removing them is your cause of concern. As suggested, by others, it could be some debris. Let us know what you determine as cause. Enjoy your flying.

I used to remove mine but after dropping the sticks a few times I bought a brace that I keep in place with a Velcro strap.

6bc4b2d70cd396d0adc0805e26702847.jpg

I should get one of these stick clampers. I cleaned the remote controller with compressed air and all seems to be good.

Reactions: Rockycat
That is great news and helpful to know. Thanks for sharing results.

I remove mine but then I don't use a hard case. Have to add that I like the 2 controller better for lots of reasons and one being that I'm forever mounting the camera and having to go back and dig out the sticks.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cht6688