DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I upgrade to the Mini 3 Pro?

I currently have a Mini 2, but the new Mini 3 Pro sounds pretty great, especially the Active Track features. Are these features really functional and how often do you use them?

I have the Mini 2 also and I think it's great… I know the Mini 3 pro sounds Great, but I suggest you give it some time to shake the bugs out. There may be issues that will give you heart burn and make you wish you never wasted your money on it so early… It's not like you are Drone-less, enjoy the Mini 2 and keep your ear to the ground, read the remarks in this and other web sites, and watch those "ever-entertaining" YouTube Videos for hints and tricks that you know will be coming…

I currently have a Mini 2, but the new Mini 3 Pro sounds pretty great, especially the Active Track features. Are these features really functional and how often do you use them?

I have used these features on a Mavic 2 Pro and Air 2S and I badly miss them on my Mini 2. Having them on the new Mini 3 Pro will be fantastic.

I personally don't use Active Track very much but occasionally to create a nice shot of me moving in a group on the ground without having to actively look at the controls. What I do use a lot is Focus Track modes where I select an object on the ground or mark a GPS point and have the drone orbit (or other patterns) around that point. The beauty of this is you can dynamically change the speed, altitude etc AND if the object moves the drone automatically changes to follow. It's fantastic and makes getting cinematic shots much easier and reproducible not matter how smooth you are on the sticks. Having obstacle tracking during these auto flying modes and even when manually controlling the drone also is very, very and helps build confidence when flying close to objects. With Mini 2 I just avoided those situations. Also you get the nice Hyperlapse functions Mini 2 does have. For some examples of all of this on the Mini 3 Pro check out this video:

I am really excited about the new mini 3 pro, however, I am hesitant to pull the trigger on the purchase, due to the very inconsistent showing of the RC. I have seen several videos of it losing several bars of signal strength in less than 1 kilometer. This worries me and will probably prevent me from buying it. The one feature that excites me the most is the new RC with the built in screen. But if it can't perform as well as the older RC then this is a "PASS".

I made the mistake of telling my wife the other night. The coversation went like this:
"I ordered that new DJI mini drone that I was telling you about."
Wife: "What? You do not need another drone!"
Me: But it is a bit unique...
Wife interrupting: "Unique? Unique like that Yuneec drone sitting in the basement you paid $1300 dollars for 6 or 7 years ago and flew a dozen times? Only unique thing about that is the lack of air time it has seen!"
Me: "uhh..." walks away knowing she is right....

LOL

what If a much cheaper mini 3 SE comes out in 2 months?
It's bound to happen but I doubt anytime soon. I think we've all bought something and walked into a place an hour later and found it at a cheaper price. Generally DJI doesn't go that way. I purchased both the drone and new controller and I'm as in love with it almost as much as my Air 2S. The camera was the fascination to start with but when I put that controller to work with the camera I fell head over heals. I don't care if it comes out later at a cheaper price, I have enjoyed mine just a little longer than I would have if I had waited. The time to fly is now not later.

I also had a Mini 2, I recently purchased a Mini 3 and then sold my M2 and I have no regrets whatsoever.
The M2 is excellent, and more than capable in the right hands, but the M3P is a far more superior and capable machine in flight characteristics, hardware and software.
IMO, the M3P - with the RC screen - is a genuine next generation leap compared to the M2.

Reactions: LoudThunder
What are your thoughts with the Mini 3 Pro, compared to the original Mini? I too have the original Mini and also thinking of upgrading to the Mini 3 Pro.
I have all 3 mini's. T?he mini 2 was a significant upgrade from the Mini, and the M3Pro is an amazing upgrade from the Mini 2. I have had my M3 since 6/7 and have not had a single issue.

I just sold my MA2 tonight(sold my back up last week) and ordered a Mini3 plus an extra Plus battery. Loved my MA2 but looking to try something new.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas