DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shutter Lag - Still Image Capture

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I'm new to Drones/Mavic 2 Pro. There seems to be a significant capture delay when taking stills. (using Smart Controller) I press the shutter button (after selecting focal point) then often wait before hearing the synthesized shutter "click". The delay seems to vary, but is far longer than the earliest digicams. I'm guessing some form of pilot error. Or is this common? I'm shooting Raw files only (not Raw/JPG) and not burst mode, just single frame stills. Is there a setting(s) that needs to be optimized to reduce shutter lag? Thanks for your help.

Could be a focus issue? If you aren't tapping the screen to focus before you shoot, then the drone could be having to find the focus setting itself before it snaps the shot??
Have a play with the focus settings ...

Could be a focus issue? If you aren't tapping the screen to focus before you shoot, then the drone could be having to find the focus setting itself before it snaps the shot??
Have a play with the focus settings ...
As I stated: I press the shutter button (after selecting focal point)

Reactions: FoxhallGH
OK - sorry - you did say that. What SD card do you have?

OK - sorry - you did say that. What SD card do you have?
Sandisk Extreme Plus 64Gb
I just read that the Audio Shutter Click is not always in sync with the shutter, but I think it is. There just seems to be a lag. thanks

The lag may be with the SC making the sound and not the Mavic taking the picture. My older tablet will sometimes not make the shutter sound at all yet the picture has been taken. An easy test would be to point it at yourself, move one arm like the hand of a clock, and press the shutter when pointed straight up. If there is a lag in the shutter sound note your hand position. You will see in the picture if it is real or just a programming/performance issue.

I have also experienced this shutter lag. Sometimes it is just a delay, and sometimes the shutter just doesn't respond at all. I am using the regular controller, not the smart controller. While there is sometimes a delay due to focusing, a lag or failure to respond can also occur after pre-focusing. I likewise cannot connect it to buffer-writing. It doesn't seem to be related to how quickly I am shooting or how many pictures I have just shot. I would love to hear if anyone has solved this problem. I am convinced it the opening of the shutter that is delayed - not just the "click" confirmation.

The only fix I know is to remember to select a focus point. I suspect the issue MIGHT be the camera hunting for focus. I'm experienced with still cameras, but still relatively new to M2P.

I have the Mavic 2 Pro with the smart controller and the shutter delay is terrible when shooting moving objects plus it doesnt always record the image even thou it acts like it did. I have a friend with the same setup except he doesnt have the smart controller and he has the same issue. He talked to DJI support and they told him its the processor in the Mavic not being able to process the command to fire the shutter quickly. Funny I've had my two Phantom 3 Pros for several years and the shutter would respond almost instantly. My friend said the only thing he can do is anticipate where he wants in this case the train to be and press the shutter early and hope for the best. Not what I would expect from a expensive drone like the Mavic 2.

I have the Mavic 2 Pro with the smart controller and the shutter delay is terrible when shooting moving objects plus it doesnt always record the image even thou it acts like it did. I have a friend with the same setup except he doesnt have the smart controller and he has the same issue. He talked to DJI support and they told him its the processor in the Mavic not being able to process the command to fire the shutter quickly. Funny I've had my two Phantom 3 Pros for several years and the shutter would respond almost instantly. My friend said the only thing he can do is anticipate where he wants in this case the train to be and press the shutter early and hope for the best. Not what I would expect from a expensive drone like the Mavic 2.
I'm having the same issue and found myself here. My shutter lag is often 6-10 seconds. Not good. While it's in the lag period no other on-screen control is available. Very frustrating. Never had these issues with my Phantom 4P but the M2Pro is almost every shoot. Doing it more now than it did when new a year ago. Even switching from video to still and back has a lag. Would love to hear of a solution.

Should not have a 6 to 10 second lag, not sure why that would be happening. To OP, what are you shooting for stills. landscapes, or close ups? Reason I ask, once the M2 Pro has focused on an object in the distance it's in focus. I shoot thousands of stills, (all I shoot, no video), and never have had any issues, I always shoot in 5 shot brackets also. Once I acquire focus (using AF and hitting a spot on the screen) I quickly shift back to MF, and shoot the rest of the shoots, and in fact, hardly ever check again. You can turn on focus peaking, so that when you switch back from AF to MF, you will see the peaking. If you see peaking on objects out in the distance, you are in focus. The hyperlocal distance on the lens, is minimal. Unless you are trying to focus on something say 10 feet or closer, I would hit AF, Move to MF and see if you still have lag. If you are shooting longer exposures, 1 second or longer, you might get slight lag, but even that is not common. Also if you are on AFC, I would take if off as AFC can create problems (drone trying to acquire focus on dark areas, or sky, it will hunt and that can create lag).

The shutter for me on 3 M2 Pro's is quick and really actuates as soon as I hit the button on the SC screen.

Paul C

Should not have a 6 to 10 second lag, not sure why that would be happening. To OP, what are you shooting for stills. landscapes, or close ups? Reason I ask, once the M2 Pro has focused on an object in the distance it's in focus. I shoot thousands of stills, (all I shoot, no video), and never have had any issues, I always shoot in 5 shot brackets also. Once I acquire focus (using AF and hitting a spot on the screen) I quickly shift back to MF, and shoot the rest of the shoots, and in fact, hardly ever check again. You can turn on focus peaking, so that when you switch back from AF to MF, you will see the peaking. If you see peaking on objects out in the distance, you are in focus. The hyperlocal distance on the lens, is minimal. Unless you are trying to focus on something say 10 feet or closer, I would hit AF, Move to MF and see if you still have lag. If you are shooting longer exposures, 1 second or longer, you might get slight lag, but even that is not common. Also if you are on AFC, I would take if off as AFC can create problems (drone trying to acquire focus on dark areas, or sky, it will hunt and that can create lag).

The shutter for me on 3 M2 Pro's is quick and really actuates as soon as I hit the button on the SC screen.

Paul C
Thanks Paul. I'll try manual focus. I've been using auto but usually touch the spot in the frame I want to be sure is in focus. Generally not very close so manual should be fine too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d