DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

shutter settings.

grignard

Reactions
Hi, i am new to shooting video, but not stills. I have flown the air only twice, very windy here at the moment.
My question is: As a general rule, it seems the shutter speed should be twice the frame rate, i.e 30 fps 60th second shutter speed.
I find that the correct exposure in sunlight, even with an 8 ND filter looks to be 1/160 second. Is it OK to break the 2x rule, what effect
would this have on the video? Thanks, Grignard

Is it OK to break the 2x rule, what effect would this have on the video?
Of course it's OK.
Do some testing and see what works for you.
The "rule" is only a technique and not the only way to shoot video.

Reactions: BigAl07
Go up to a higher ND filter..... Each higher number halves the light, so if ND8 gives you 1/160, ND16 should get you to about 1/80 and ND32 should get to 1/40... this will change day by day as the light changes.
Get it as close to the 2x as you can... a little under is OK, and better than being a little over.
If you were shooting at 25 FPS, then the shutter speed of 1/40 will leave you a little underexposed, which is better than being overexposed.... you can compensate for this in the editing.

Thanks, i only bought 1 filter because in the UK it isn't always that bright. I shall buy another 2 just in case we get a sunny summer.

Hi, i am new to shooting video, but not stills. I have flown the air only twice, very windy here at the moment.
My question is: As a general rule, it seems the shutter speed should be twice the frame rate, i.e 30 fps 60th second shutter speed.
I find that the correct exposure in sunlight, even with an 8 ND filter looks to be 1/160 second. Is it OK to break the 2x rule, what effect
would this have on the video? Thanks, Grignard
Here in Florida I use ND32 90% all the times at 30fps with shutter 1/60 make sure the exposure is around 0.0 or as close you can get, only if I m shooting slow motion at 1/120 I go down to 16 or even 8 for ND filters my choice.

I use ND4 on video on my Mavic Air works well in the vast majority of cases.

I use ND4 on video on my Mavic Air works well in the vast majority of cases.
What region do you live in....here in Florida over the Ocesn and white sand Beaches is almost impossible to go that low.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos