DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Side Sensors and Phone Fit

Reactions
So I got my Mavic 2 yesterday and spent all evening (and into the morning) applying the update. I'm excited to fly it for the first time this evening after work. I just wanted to mention a few observations to get some feedback from the forum.
  1. The first thing I checked after opening the box was the fit of my phone into the controller. I just upgraded from the Mavic Pro and one of the things that disappointed me about that controller was that my phone would not fit into the controller with it's case on. I eventually ended up taking a razor blade to the rubber nubs in the controller arms to allow enough room to fit my phone with it's case. I was expecting this to be remedied with the new Mavic 2 but I was disappointed to find nearly the same situation. I can not fit my phone into the new controller without first removing the case.
  2. I don't understand why DJI doesn't enable the side sensors during regular flight or at least during many of the Intelligent Flight Modes where the drone will be flying sideways. This makes no sense to me and the new Mavic 2 is just as prone to crashes while flying sideways as my old Mavic Pro. I do understand that they work when using Active Track or when in Tripod mode. But what about the other Intelligent Flight modes?
  3. One of the controller/phone cables that came with the Mavic 2 will not fit into the controller. For example, the iPhone cable that came installed on the controller fits just fine. However, the included USB-C cable will not plug into the micro USB plug on the controller. After comparing the plugs, there is a difference between the plugs and the USB-C cable simply can't be inserted into the controller without damaging the controller. Has anyone else seen this? And yes, I'm trying to plug the "micro-USB" plug into the controller. I understand that the USB-C plug goes into my phone. :)
These are small gripes and I really am looking forward to getting some flight time with this new drone!

Got to fly two batteries through the Mavic 2 this evening. WOW! This thing is improved in every way over the Mavic Pro. One thing that used to really bother me is how the gimbal/camera would not stay pointed forward when flying in sport mode. It will keep working downward as I flew. This has been totally fixed with the Mavic 2! It was awesome!

Active Track also works a lot better. I never used it with the Mavic Pro because I didn't have confidence that it wouldn't fly sideways or backwards into a tree. I will probably use this feature on the new Mavic 2!

It doesn't seem to be a lot quieter but that really doesn't bother me. I'm just lovin the new features and how it flies!!!

I still wish my phone fit with the cover and also wish the side sensors worked in P mode and the other Intelligent Flight modes.

Enjoy!

One of the controller/phone cables that came with the Mavic 2 will not fit into the controller. For example, the iPhone cable that came installed on the controller fits just fine. However, the included USB-C cable will not plug into the micro USB plug on the controller. After comparing the plugs, there is a difference between the plugs and the USB-C to Micro-USB A cable simply can't be inserted into the controller without damaging the controller. Has anyone else seen this? And yes, I'm trying to plug the "micro-USB" plug into the controller. I understand that the USB-C plug goes into my phone.
Is there a fix for this? I have a Google Pixel, which uses USB-C, and the USB-C adapter that comes with the controller/Mavic 2 is simply ... defective. It will not fit - and there's no way I'm going to push it hard enough to make it go. When I look at the controller ends of the three adapters, the other two are identical and fit snugly into the controller. The third one, USB-C to controller, will not. It's slightly wider and the prongs don't come out like the others do. It's almost right, but slightly off. I've looked closely, but can't figure out why one snugly fits and the other refuses to click in.

The attached photo is of the top - working adapter, and the bottom - the non-functional (won't connect) one.

Connectors.png

I checked, checked again, and triple checked and I'm not putting the adapter in backwards. It's supposed to work, but won't click in. I'm not going to fight it.

Side note: I saw Thunder's note on just using the USB port on the bottom of the controller and reserving the micro-USB port on the side for charging and will just do that - but I'm still annoyed that I got a bunk adapter.

So I got my Mavic 2 yesterday and spent all evening (and into the morning) applying the update. I'm excited to fly it for the first time this evening after work. I just wanted to mention a few observations to get some feedback from the forum.
  1. The first thing I checked after opening the box was the fit of my phone into the controller. I just upgraded from the Mavic Pro and one of the things that disappointed me about that controller was that my phone would not fit into the controller with it's case on. I eventually ended up taking a razor blade to the rubber nubs in the controller arms to allow enough room to fit my phone with it's case. I was expecting this to be remedied with the new Mavic 2 but I was disappointed to find nearly the same situation. I can not fit my phone into the new controller without first removing the case.
  2. I don't understand why DJI doesn't enable the side sensors during regular flight or at least during many of the Intelligent Flight Modes where the drone will be flying sideways. This makes no sense to me and the new Mavic 2 is just as prone to crashes while flying sideways as my old Mavic Pro. I do understand that they work when using Active Track or when in Tripod mode. But what about the other Intelligent Flight modes?
  3. One of the controller/phone cables that came with the Mavic 2 will not fit into the controller. For example, the iPhone cable that came installed on the controller fits just fine. However, the included USB-C cable will not plug into the micro USB plug on the controller. After comparing the plugs, there is a difference between the plugs and the USB-C cable simply can't be inserted into the controller without damaging the controller. Has anyone else seen this? And yes, I'm trying to plug the "micro-USB" plug into the controller. I understand that the USB-C plug goes into my phone. :)
These are small gripes and I really am looking forward to getting some flight time with this new drone!
Probably figured this one out by now but if you really wanted to get those side sensors working you could change the flight parameters of tripod mode to match the normal mode. Still not a permanent fix, and i don't understand why they're not enabled by default or through a setting.

1) I would have suggested you modify/swap the $10 phone case instead of taking a razor to the $300 controller, but each to their own ;)

2) The side sensors are not stereoscopic, so they don't work in real time the same way the other stereoscopic sensors do. The side sensors work by comparing consecutive images, so they only work with slow and/or predictable movement in tripod mode, point of interest, circle, helix, boomerang, timelapse and active track.

3) USB-C and Micro USB are two completely different ports. The standard controller does not have a USB-C port. Sounds like you figured that part out. Just pick up something like this, it's generally better to use the bottom port anyway: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...sb+a+to+c+1ft&qid=1555537585&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I am slightly confused by your cable issue though as you mention an iPhone cable fitting, but there are no iPhones in existence that use USB-C. The port on the controller is not USB-C either, it is Micro USB. From the information provided, I can't see why you would need a USB-C cable at all.

Congrats on the purchase!

Reactions: m0j0
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78