DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Simple OOP (ops over people) question

I thought that those involved in drone operations included the subjects of the video who are aware and agree to the activity. We see this in movies and on TV when the camera flies over and/or above the subjects/actors.
Those are only when the RPIC has a waiver. Talent is not considered part of the operation in any other manner.

I thought that those involved in drone operations included the subjects of the video who are aware and agree to the activity. We see this in movies and on TV when the camera flies over and/or above the subjects/actors.
Nope.

5.1: A person is a direct participant in the small UAS operation if his or her involvement is necessary for the safe operation of the small UAS.

8.3: Direct participants include the remote pilot in command (PIC), another person who may be manipulating the controls, a visual observer (VO), or crewmembers necessary for the safety of the small unmanned aircraft operation. A direct participant should be directly involved in the small unmanned aircraft flight operation.

Reactions: Vic Moss
I know this is an older post, but in the cited FAA guideline above it states repeatedly the word "sustained flight" over people. So if I'm crossing a park and go over people, but its not sustained flight over people I'm ok. That's my understanding of flight over vehicles too. Am I wrong?

I know this is an older post, but in the cited FAA guideline above it states repeatedly the word "sustained flight" over people. So if I'm crossing a park and go over people, but its not sustained flight over people I'm ok. That's my understanding of flight over vehicles too. Am I wrong?
From the OOP Final Rule preamble, "Sustained flight over an open-air assembly includes hovering above the heads of persons gathered in an open-air assembly, flying back and forth over an open-air assembly, or circling above the assembly in such a way that the small unmanned aircraft remains above some part the assembly."

First column, page 4315 here: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2021-01-15/pdf/2020-28947.pdf

Reactions: Xitor and SethB
From the OOP Final Rule preamble, "Sustained flight over an open-air assembly includes hovering above the heads of persons gathered in an open-air assembly, flying back and forth over an open-air assembly, or circling above the assembly in such a way that the small unmanned aircraft remains above some part the assembly."

First column, page 4315 here: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2021-01-15/pdf/2020-28947.pdf
There was another post with a training site just on this above, and they pretty much cleared it up for me too, SUSTAINED and Open Air Assembly are the two things you need to worry about. If you are briefly transiting over people or roads that's ok. So I've I'm crossing above a park with a few people in it, I'm ok. If I'm hovering ABOVE them recording and not transiting I see that as violation. If I'm crossing above a soccer games with lots of people and spectors (even if its at a local park), I'm transiting, but its an open air assembly so I see that as a violation, even if I am transiting and not stopping or sustained.

Related question. Is there a minimum speed for the flight to be considered traversing rather than sustained?

I know I can fly 20 mph over a road, but what about 1 mph? I'm looking to do a hyperlapse that may take several minutes to cross a road, is that "sustained"?

Related question. Is there a minimum speed for the flight to be considered traversing rather than sustained?

I know I can fly 20 mph over a road, but what about 1 mph? I'm looking to do a hyperlapse that may take several minutes to cross a road, is that "sustained"?
There is no speed mentioned in any of the supporting OOP regs.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu