DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Single, simple waypoint?

jvitiel

Reactions
Hi,

I have a Mavic 3 Pro and I want to save a single waypoint so I can return for a photo at a later date. I'm not doing video so I don't need routes or orientations etc. Just need to easily return to a lat/lon (and maybe altitude).

Everything I have seen seems to suggest that I have to build a route but I am glad to just fly to the waypoint manually. What is the simplest way to do this?

Many thanks as always..

Simple waypoint.
Take off to desired altitude
Set Waypoint #1
Fly to the location where you want to return later and after setting the gimble where you need it, set Waypoint #2 Set Waypoint #2 to take photo
Under global settings you can set speed and what to do after W2, RTH, etc.

Reactions: sarahb
Simple waypoint.
Take off to desired altitude
Set Waypoint #1
Fly to the location where you want to return later and after setting the gimble where you need it, set Waypoint #2 Set Waypoint #2 to take photo
Under global settings you can set speed and what to do after W2, RTH, etc.
Ok thanks. Waypoint #1 will be off a boat so it won't be in the same spot each time. Would that screw with launching the route next time?

Ok thanks. Waypoint #1 will be off a boat so it won't be in the same spot each time. Would that screw with launching the route next time?
Yes. For waypoints to work, you need to launch at the same place (or as near as possible) for it to work correctly. Otherwise, it will fly to WP1 from wherever your new launch point is and then proceed. So, if your new launch point is far from the previous one, it could cause some issues. Especially with obstacles. etc.

Reactions: sarahb
Yes. For waypoints to work, you need to launch at the same place (or as near as possible) for it to work correctly. Otherwise, it will fly to WP1 from wherever your new launch point is and then proceed. So, if your new launch point is far from the previous one, it could cause some issues. Especially with obstacles. etc.
Oh, ok, so that's not too bad. I expect that I would be within a couple hundred yards and only over open water from the original WP #1. Many thanks, I'll give it a try.

To repeat a waypoint mission, it is only necessary that you launch from the same altitude. All waypoint heights will be relative to the Home Point altitude.

As such, you can move the HP, and fly the precise same mission so long as the new HP is at the same altitude, MSL, as the HP the mission originally referenced. In flat geography, this is very easy. A boat on water certainly meets this criteria.

It is also possible to duplicate the mission starting from a different altitude, but you have to adjust each waypoint height by the HP altitude difference. This is an advanced operation, and shouldn't be toyed with until you can plan and modify WP missions in your sleep.

Reactions: tribar and Xitor
To repeat a waypoint mission, it is only necessary that you launch from the same altitude. All waypoint heights will be relative to the Home Point altitude.

As such, you can move the HP, and fly the precise same mission so long as the new HP is at the same altitude, MSL, as the HP the mission originally referenced. In flat geography, this is very easy. A boat on water certainly meets this criteria.

It is also possible to duplicate the mission starting from a different altitude, but you have to adjust each waypoint height by the HP altitude difference. This is an advanced operation, and shouldn't be toyed with until you can plan and modify WP missions in your sleep.
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it..

I have a similar setup to track a new construction site. The only difference is I have 2 waypoints virtually in the same spot. I flew the drone to the location and framed the shot I wanted to repeat (gimbal angle etc) and set that as #1. Set the second waypoint to take the photo. This way I can launch anywhere in the vicinity depending on activity in the area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluffman2