DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Six photos shot on Mavic 3 - one at each zoom setting

Good demonstration of how it works, but your video has some mistakes in it - 1X and 7X are the only "optical" focal lengths on the drone. Everything else is simply a crop of one of the two sensors. In addition to that, the drone has no optical zoom capability. What DJI calls "zoom" are digitally cropped portions of the two cameras at different levels.

In terms of what DJI calls it, this is how it works:

1X "optical" - 4/3 20MP sensor, no crop, 24mm equivalent fixed focal length lens
2X - 4/3 sensor, 2X digital crop of the frame
4X - 4/3 sensor, 4X digital crop of the frame

(Switches to the fixed focal length telephoto lens for "explore mode"):

7X "optical" - 1/2" 12MP sensor, no crop, 162mm equivalent
14X - 1/2" sensor, 2X digital crop of the frame
28X - 1/2" sensor, 4X digital crop of the frame

Just posted a video with six shots taken by the Mavic 3 and I was amazed at the range it pulled in. Digital noise - yes - but cmon - this is going to be a game-changer.

So to put that in perspective ,
I would be have loved to have just 2 x zoom in the picture mode let alone 4 x zoom or 7 thus the potential for the Air 2S replacement .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain

Air 2S Wet Suit New Red- 3 (1 of 1)-3.jpgAir 2S Wet Suit New Red- 3 (1 of 1).jpgAir 2S Wet Suit New Red- 3 (1 of 1)-17.jpgAir 2S Wet Suit New Red- 3 (1 of 1)-36.jpg

Last edited:
Good demonstration of how it works, but your video has some mistakes in it - 1X and 7X are the only "optical" focal lengths on the drone. Everything else is simply a crop of one of the two sensors. In addition to that, the drone has no optical zoom capability. What DJI calls "zoom" are digitally cropped portions of the two cameras at different levels.

1X "optical" - 4/3 20MP sensor, no crop, 24mm equivalent fixed focal length lens

**** - I totally understand now - I just wish DJI was more forthcoming with their explanations. Thanks for the clarification. I'll make a note on the video description.

Wow!The first explanation of what's there.Thanks!

Reactions: CanadaDrone
So it doesn't "zoom" like my M2Zoom, or like every zoom lens on cameras? That misses the basic definition of a zoom lens!!!
Sadly, NO. I knew the telephoto end was going to be digital, but I had been hoping that there was a 4x optical zoom on the 4/3 sensor. Much to my surprise, that wasn't what they delivered. Still happy with the quality and the larger 5280x3956 pixels compared to the 4000x3000 on my Air 2.

Funny, I had just the same idea...
First flight, auto mode, no post production.
And I'm also happy with the quality I got.

Reactions: Rchawks and PhotoDB
Funny, I had just the same idea...
First flight, auto mode, no post production.
And I'm also happy with the quality I got.

Happy flying, can't wait for my next gig to surprise my client with even better photos than he's used to seeing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d