Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skinned!

Droning on and on...

Reactions
Not my knee, my M4P!

Schweet! Flies 20mph faster in Sport mode too 🤣🤣🤣

1000017020.jpg

This is the "Apocalypse Blue" skin from decalgirl.com. Includes material for 4 batteries.

Last edited:
decal girl or whatever that site it?

Not my knee, my M4P!

Schweet! Flies 20mph faster in Sport mode too 🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 173450
I am finding it hard to believe that adding weight to any drone could enable it to fly faster than the same drone left in its stock appearance. This mention of a whopping 20 mph increase in speed after adding a decal is difficult to accept as an accurate claim. For one thing, a 20mph speed increment suggests that drones can become capable of exceeding the maximum attainable speed of their stock configuration simply by adding a decal.

Any clarification of this maximum speed claim would be appreciated. I bought Decal Girl skins for my two Mavics and my Phantom 3 standard but then I set them aside without applying them due to concerns that the added weight would reduce flight time, which is an important consideration for me.

• Haha
Reactions: Xi Zhou
Well, I realized that was a joke! But I bet you can see it a bit farther with the skin!

Reactions: Cafguy
I am finding it hard to believe that adding weight to any drone could enable it to fly faster than the same drone left in its stock appearance.
Then you have never bolted a JetCat RC turbine to your drone ( see definition of Humor below.)
due to concerns that the added weight would reduce flight time, which is an important consideration for me.
A few grams of added weight will NOT effect your Drones performance in any way! Put your Decals on. I have even seen some people place strobe lights on a drone. I aint lyin- ( I can prove this with pics.)
Any clarification of this maximum speed claim would be appreciated.

humor​

[ hyoo-mer or, often, yoo- ]

noun
  1. a comic, absurd, or incongruous quality causing amusement: the humor of a situation.
  2. the faculty of perceiving what is amusing or comical: He is completely without humor.
  1. an instance of being or attempting to be comical or amusing; something humorous: The humor in his joke eluded the audience.
  2. the faculty of expressing the amusing or comical: The author's humor came across better in the book than in the movie.
  3. comical writing or talk in general; comical books, skits, plays, etc.
  4. humors, peculiar features; oddities; quirks: humors of life.
  5. mental disposition or temperament.
  6. a temporary mood or frame of mind: The boss is in a bad humor today.
  7. a capricious or freakish inclination; whim or caprice; odd trait.

Reactions: Xi Zhou
decal girl or whatever that site it?

Yup! Very satisfied with one exception: 45 minutes to apply? Bah! Try 3 hours!!!

I guess if you don't care about ensuring there are no wrinkles then yeah, 45 minutes. Want it to look like a paint job, and you're spending a lot longer.

Totally worth it 👍🏻

Reactions: groggysbird
I am finding it hard to believe that adding weight to any drone could enable it to fly faster than the same drone left in its stock appearance.

The physics are rather complex, involve String Theory, and unfortunately are a proprietary secret so I can't share them.

Hint: Red goes 30mph faster.

• Haha
Reactions: Xi Zhou and Cafguy
Well, I realized that was a joke! But I bet you can see it a bit farther with the skin!

Actually, in all seriousness, not that skin. It's cut my VLOS range down to about 600 feet or so, about a third of what it was.

While I can still see it, I can't discriminate orientation... At distance now it looks more like some distortion in the blue sky than an object.

No matter. I never fly beyond VLOS. Ever. Never ever ever ever. 😏

Actually, in all seriousness, not that skin. It's cut my VLOS range down to about 600 feet or so, about a third of what it was.

While I can still see it, I can't discriminate orientation... At distance now it looks more like some distortion in the blue sky than an object.

No matter. I never fly beyond VLOS. Ever. Never ever ever ever. 😏
Ok, on that note. Do the florescent (green, orange or yellow) skins improve VLOS, or maybe the dark color ones?
Asking for a friend.

Yup! Very satisfied with one exception: 45 minutes to apply? Bah! Try 3 hours!!!

I guess if you don't care about ensuring there are no wrinkles then yeah, 45 minutes. Want it to look like a paint job, and you're spending a lot longer.

Totally worth it 👍🏻
Agreed, I know these skins come and off but I prefer to put them on just once; forever...therefore I super take my time and yeah it takes hours.

Ok, on that note. Do the florescent (green, orange or yellow) skins improve VLOS, or maybe the dark color ones?
Asking for a friend.
I think you can see the florescent colors a little better as darkness approaches but I think it's more about perception. I certainly cannot be trying to "hide" my drone if it is dressed in florescent green and if you want to look "official" then florescent orange or yellow screams public safety or construction.

It’s really cool looking and thanks for the distance warning. I’m not sure I’d be willing to limit myself to 600’, even though I do adhere to VLOS.

It’s really cool looking and thanks for the distance warning. I’m not sure I’d be willing to limit myself to 600’, even though I do adhere to VLOS.

Just keep in mind that's my crappy, old, myopic, astigmatic, both eyes with vitreous detachment, so when I look at the blank blue sky that drone has to be close enough to not look like just another floater 😁😁

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13