DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SKYREAT ND filter Hyperlapse

Chopstix Kid

Reactions
Again, hobby hour peeps :) This was shot @Skyreat ND16 filter, f/4.5, 4K/30, ISO 100, 1/25 shutter. Sun decided to pop out at the end so there's some over exposure. Heck, it may have been over exposed from the get-go. I need to learn how to use the histogram.

Last edited:
Is there a point in using NDs for hyperlapse in a daylight? I think you would get a better vid on full auto without NDs.

Is there a point in using NDs for hyperlapse in a daylight? I think you would get a better vid on full auto without NDs.
The picture quality is improved by being able to use lower iso, and f-stop. Generally the video will look more saturated and smoother as well. I liked the hyper lapse.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid

As @Fplvert mentioned it’s the same concept as using it for still photography. Unlike shooting for regular video, Hyperlapse seems to favor 1/4 to 1/25 shutter for effect. As it has been discussed in other threads, picture quality starts to degrade when you get smaller than f/5.6 and faster than ISO 400. Therefore, the only way to control exposure is with ND filters.

You want to aim for what would otherwise be rather silly shutter speeds for a moving drone when doing hyperlapse photos to avoid the stuttering effect of cars etc. Trying to stop the lens right down near f/11 is going to result in significant blurring on most drones, so we're back to NDs again...

You could try to add motion blur in post, but the effectiveness will be highly dependent on the editing suite you use, your hardware, proficiency in said editing suite etc...

This video illustrates the stutter nicely at 6:48. Ok I guess if you want the "frantic ants" look. :p

Reactions: Skyreat

Most of what has been said is completely wrong. ND filters for timelapse do little to nothing, with the exception of allowing you to open your aperture more for a shot. But contrary to what other people have said, the tighter your aperture (the higher the F number) the more focused your DOF will be through all ranges. All you are trying to do is control exposure for still shots. Unless you are attempting long exposure shots, the mavic can handle whatever it needs to perform a daytime still.

Video however is an entirely different beast. Then you get into shutter speed being more important in which case ND filters absolutely help.

Reactions: Former Member
Most of what has been said is completely wrong. ND filters for timelapse do little to nothing, with the exception of allowing you to open your aperture more for a shot. But contrary to what other people have said, the tighter your aperture (the higher the F number) the more focused your DOF will be through all ranges. All you are trying to do is control exposure for still shots. Unless you are attempting long exposure shots, the mavic can handle whatever it needs to perform a daytime still.

Video however is an entirely different beast. Then you get into shutter speed being more important in which case ND filters absolutely help.

I disagree. I think ND filters are crucial for day time shooting of hyperlapse since most of your camera settings have to be within a very narrow margin of adjustment. Therefore the only way you can control exposure is with ND filters.

As @gnirtS demonstrated, f/4 is the sweetspot for the M2P. For good motion blur during hyperlapse 1/4 to 1/25 shutter. Let’s assume you’re going to shoot your ISO 100 or ISO 200. On a sunny day or even partially sunny, you’re going to be over exposed so you have to use the ND filters.

Again, hobby hour peeps :) This was shot @Skyreat ND16 filter, f/4.5, 4K/30, ISO 100, 1/25 shutter. Sun decided to pop out at the end so there's some over exposure. Heck, it may have been over exposed from the get-go. I need to learn how to use the histogram.

I like it! When you are doing things like Hyperlapse or timelapse shots it’s sometimes useful to set WB in a locked state vice auto.

I disagree. I think ND filters are crucial for day time shooting of hyperlapse since most of your camera settings have to be within a very narrow margin of adjustment. Therefore the only way you can control exposure is with ND filters.

Not trying to start an argument here, purely friendly discussion but why do you think that your camera settings have to be set within a very narrow margin of adjustment?

Not trying to start an argument here, purely friendly discussion but why do you think that your camera settings have to be set within a very narrow margin of adjustment?

All good man. I’ve been doing forums a long time. I don’t take anything personally. Scroll back up. I accidentally hit post before I finished everything I was saying. You’re not too far from me. We are about 30 minutes west of Detroit.

All good man. I’ve been doing forums a long time. I don’t take anything personally. Scroll back up. I accidentally hit post before I finished everything I was saying. You’re not too far from me. We are about 30 minutes west of Detroit.

Yeah not far at all. Will have to get together and fly sometime! And that’s good cause there are a lot of people on here who tend to pop off at the mouth without thinking or even being correct lol. I don’t know that I would agree that f4 is necessarily the sweet spot, but to each their own. If your goal is to maintain a locked aperture then yes of course ND filters will help control your exposure. My original point was that for still shots the mavic 2 does pretty well automatically controlling the whole exposure triangle. But every photographer has their own style and preference that’s for sure.

Yeah not far at all. Will have to get together and fly sometime! And that’s good cause there are a lot of people on here who tend to pop off at the mouth without thinking or even being correct lol. I don’t know that I would agree that f4 is necessarily the sweet spot, but to each their own. If your goal is to maintain a locked aperture then yes of course ND filters will help control your exposure. My original point was that for still shots the mavic 2 does pretty well automatically controlling the whole exposure triangle. But every photographer has their own style and preference that’s for sure.

Amen to that brother.

Here is a video with some stuff from my first flight. Hasn’t been color graded, it was stormy prolly 35-40 mile an hour winds for some of it. And of course YouTube quality is low cause i uploaded the working file from my phone but there are a couple Hyperlapse shots in it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54