DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Skywriting with a drone (MPP & M2P) - a concept test

RadioFlyerMan

Premium Pilot
Reactions
The sky objects(white lines) in this video are actual flights of my MPP created using Litchi missions, and viewed using my M2P. This is an initial test to see if it could be done. I have other sky object flights planned as soon as the weather improves.

Okay, wow! You are indeed a wizard. Must have been fun programming that flight path in Litchi. Also, how do you generate the trails?
After looking at a flight record in GO4, I realized I could fly a pattern with letters and words. It is too inaccurate to fly manually, so I employed Litchi.

For my first test, the flight path was generated from a 122 Waypoint mission in Litchi on a slave controller, while a flight path was recorded on a master controller running GO4. I then generated a gpx file from the GO4 flight record and loaded it into Google Earth Pro so it could be isolated and recorded in a video clip. The clip was then applied to a separate video clip to simulate skywriting.

Since my first test, I have written software to transform what is essentially a two dimensional flight (with minor variations in altitude) to a three dimensional Litchi mission. So now I can take a flat, 2D Litchi mission and stand it upright, rotate it, and size it at needed. I have several flights I'm currently working on... flowers, a shooting star, a window, a globe. It keeps my 76 year old brain from dying!

Here's a very brief overview of how I did it...

The sky objects(white lines) in this video are actual flights of my MPP created using Litchi missions, and viewed using my M2P. This is an initial test to see if it could be done. I have other sky object flights planned as soon as the weather improves.
Awesome! Can’t wait to see more. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Quite good actually. Would have taken a lot of patience programming the tracks with Litchi. Well done!
Thanks. Until I created some software to perform three dimensional transforms on Litchi missions, I had to write letters upside down so I could view them from ground level. A lot of work. The transform software routines really taxed my recollection of trig functions. It took me a couple of months of trial and error to get it to work. o_O

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer