DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Slow CN train in the village

Not sure why it stopped but the constant bell from the crossing got my attention so I put my Air 2S up to get a better look at what was going on. Maybe he had to pee who knows LOL
I don't know why he stopped so long, but that was a rail train. All those long things on each car are long continuous welded rail. Each rail is as long as that whole train. It flexes around curves. Something special to watch a rail train working.
Thanks for sharing.

I don't know why he stopped so long, but that was a rail train. All those long things on each car are long continuous welded rail. Each rail is as long as that whole train. It flexes around curves. Something special to watch a rail train working.
Thanks for sharing.
Never heard of that, it would be interesting to see how they load and
unload those.

Thanks for sharing.
That is exactly what it was. Drove across that crossing this morning and right beside the track was a replacement. Very long and the curvature of the corner. Not sure how they are unloaded but I am guessing its all automated. To bad I was unable to capture the process on video.

If you look at about 1:10 it looks a bit like something is being 'extruded' from the back of the train onto the right side of the tracks (as the train is facing, left as we are looking at the video). Could be just a trick of the shadows, but it might be a rail being unloaded by machinery on the yellow cars at the back of the train (not certain if "caboose" applies anymore).

I have been retired from Rail Car Maintenance for 18 years now but as I remember those long rails are all on Rollers built on the cars. They are slid off at the back as the train moves very slow along. There are a lot of layers or rows all on rollers. A train like that would lay out a lot of track distance when all off loaded. At 2:39 you can see all the roller layers. That car looks like it is about 2/3 unloaded.

Very interesting process. @Augustine, thanks for posting the video. And @Crash Gibby, thanks for revealing what's going on. I certainly learn a lot on this forum, and a lot of it has nothing to do with drones.
OK I could not find out how many miles of rail a big rail train would carry (like the one here) but I did find this short video. It clearly shows the operation and they are laying 2 tracks at a time. Enjoy

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
OK I could not find out how many miles of rail a big rail train would carry (like the one here) but I did find this short video. It clearly shows the operation and they are laying 2 tracks at a time. Enjoy
Thanks.

Well, that answers a few questions and raises several more. It looks like the rails are laid down rotated 90 degrees from their final position. Makes sense, since they bend easier in that direction when coming off the car. How are they rotated? What sort of machinery removes the old rails, with all those spikes?

Found this video, in the comments it says each rail is a 1\4 mile long. When welded in the weld shop it is loaded in reverse from the unloading process. Still not sure how it is attached after unloading.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga