DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Small landing pad for Mini 3 Pro

ideally one that can fold into the DJI Fly more kit bag
That will be tricky — the bag is pretty packed.

I have a circular landing pad I got for use with my Mavic 2 which works well enough for the Mini 3, but is a bit bulky to carry. A problem when in tallish grass is that the drone sinks into the pad a bit which can cause gimbal errors. I've been looking at getting one of those six-panel folding pads but am a bit concerned about how well they stand up to sub-zero temperatures.

I have a niece who's good at sewing, and I've been thinking of commissioning her to make me a washable panel-type pad with pockets for the rigid panels. I trust cloth more than vinyl at cold temperatures.

Reactions: Nickyb65
Hi,

I'm looking for a small landing pad for my Mini 3 Pro, ideally one that can fold into the DJI Fly more kit bag.

Any ideas?

thanks
An old Blu-ray case. Works perfectly.

• Love
I have one of the fold up landing pads but honestly don’t use it very often anymore since I learned to take off/land by hand.

I've got several dozen DVD cases I no longer need, which no one on freecycle wants. I hadn't though of turning some into landing pads, but that's a good idea. Thanks.
You’re welcome. I printed off a sheet with a landing pad H on it and inserted it into the sleeve.

How do you take off while holding it? Being newbie, is this process easy to master?
Their are lots of YouTube videos out there of various ways to hand launch/land. I have found that the easiest way to launch is to hold the mini from the bottom with your fingers grasping the sides in one hand (this is where watching a few videos will help) and with the other hand execute auto launch with the controller. The only tricky part is working the auto launch on the controller with one hand but after you do it a few times you will get the hang of it.

As to landing, I prefer the flat palm method. Bring the mini down to shoulder level or a bit below and slide your open palm under it. It will go up a bit initially but just keep your open palm in place then land as normal (down stick) with the controller in the other hand and it will land in your palm and shut off. Again, watch a few videos and practice and you will get the hang of it. it’s really not that hard.

I do not recommend trying to grab it out of the air and flip it over as some videos show.

There are plenty of choices on Amazon, none of them are that special, just pick one you like.

I used to do hand launches, but without a lanyard, I'm always afraid of dropping the controller because you either have to do the both stick in and back, or tap the screen, so I prefer to take off from a bench or rock if one is near, but sometimes it's just dusty ground and then I use a launch pad. Landing on hand is easy, just keep the throttle stick down until the props stop spinning, I've never had to turn the drone upside down and it seems unnecessary.

Their are lots of YouTube videos out there of various ways to hand launch/land. I have found that the easiest way to launch is to hold the mini from the bottom with your fingers grasping the sides in one hand (this is where watching a few videos will help) and with the other hand execute auto launch with the controller. The only tricky part is working the auto launch on the controller with one hand but after you do it a few times you will get the hang of it.

As to landing, I prefer the flat palm method. Bring the mini down to shoulder level or a bit below and slide your open palm under it. It will go up a bit initially but just keep your open palm in place then land as normal (down stick) with the controller in the other hand and it will land in your palm and shut off. Again, watch a few videos and practice and you will get the hang of it. it’s really not that hard.

I do not recommend trying to grab it out of the air and flip it over as some videos show.
Thanks for the sound advice. I have seen a few videos when the pilot grabs and flips it over to stop the props. Why is this a bad idea?

Thanks for the sound advice. I have seen a few videos when the pilot grabs and flips it over to stop the props. Why is this a bad idea?
I personally find simply landing it on my palm much easier and safer. Flipping the UAS to turn it off is a built in safety feature not something to be routinely used, IMO.

How do you take off while holding it? Being newbie, is this process easy to master?
I tried this yesterday for the first time. After the initial “this is freaky” factor wears off, it’s actually pretty easy. Practice it a couple times and it starts feeling pretty natural. 51Drones has a good video on it on Youtube - helped me.

I tried this yesterday for the first time. After the initial “this is freaky” factor wears off, it’s actually pretty easy. Practice it a couple times and it starts feeling pretty natural. 51Drones has a good video on it on Youtube - helped me.
cheers will do

This is a great super cheap idea:

Just use a brightly colored tee shirt or hand towel. lol. It balls up to nothing to put in your pack and works great laying down tall grass or what have you. Just spread it out and stomp it down. Its heavy enough to not blow away and not need to get staked down like the Amazon synthetic foldable dedicated landing pads for $15 to $20.

Just a no-frills idea for you DIY guys.. Hand launching and landing is a great alternative, too.

Reactions: JimSteadman
When I got my first drone I got an orange landing pad. Used it for one fly day, then never again. I practiced landing on it until I could stick it right in the center every time, then quit landing on a pad. I hand catch, or land on something solid. It's one of those accessories that seems essential until you learn you don't need it at all. Far more important to build skills without crutches. I don't even bring the pad anymore, but I always have my hand with me.

Did the same thing with set of floats because I was freaking about flying over water. Used once, never again. WAY too much trouble, too big, etc. I fly over water all the time now, no need for floats.

I like to carry around less stuff, so I figure out what's important, and leave the rest behind. Batteries: important. Perhaps spare props (don't know, I've never had to change one, but they're small). ND filters, yup. Spare SD card. That's about it.

So many things seem important until you learn they aren't.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian