DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller - Operating Temperature?

Srcrain

Reactions
Has anyone experienced their smart controller getting extremely hot? Is it normal for it to get really hot?

Here is the background. I was out flying today during my lunch break. Giving the new controller its first real extended test. I was flying sitting in my car in an empty parking lot. Outside temperature was 50 degrees. I had the smart controller on 100% brightness and had it in the sun coming in from my car window to test the readability in direct sun. It was much easier to see than my iPhone X. The smart controller fan was on and it was making quite a bit of noise. I noticed the back of the controller near the C1 and C2 buttons was hot. Not unlike an iPad or even iPhone. What I also noticed when tapping the screen is that the display was very hot. Not able to have a finger on it for more than 5-10 seconds. My question is - Is this normal?

This is not even close to an extreme operating environment that I got the controller to work in. Namely on hot and sunny days, when in direct sunlight, many times mobile devices dim or even shut down. This controller I thought was supposed to eliminate that from happening. (Granted it didn't and may never shut down from just being hot) Also you are going to need 100% brightest on those days when its is hot and sunny which is going to make it hottest on the hottest days I understand that sunny doesn 't always or even mostly mean it has to be hot outside, but I am thinking more about the middle of the summer..

Has anyone experienced their smart controller getting extremely hot? Is it normal for it to get really hot?

Here is the background. I was out flying today during my lunch break. Giving the new controller its first real extended test. I was flying sitting in my car in an empty parking lot. Outside temperature was 50 degrees. I had the smart controller on 100% brightness and had it in the sun coming in from my car window to test the readability in direct sun. It was much easier to see than my iPhone X. The smart controller fan was on and it was making quite a bit of noise. I noticed the back of the controller near the C1 and C2 buttons was hot. Not unlike an iPad or even iPhone. What I also noticed when tapping the screen is that the display was very hot. Not able to have a finger on it for more than 5-10 seconds. My question is - Is this normal?

This is not even close to an extreme operating environment that I got the controller to work in. Namely on hot and sunny days, when in direct sunlight, many times mobile devices dim or even shut down. This controller I thought was supposed to eliminate that from happening. (Granted it didn't and may never shut down from just being hot) Also you are going to need 100% brightest on those days when its is hot and sunny which is going to make it hottest on the hottest days I understand that sunny doesn 't always or even mostly mean it has to be hot outside, but I am thinking more about the middle of the summer..

Was hot air being pumped out by the fan? Could it be it was defective? They warn not to block the in/out vents.

Was hot air being pumped out by the fan? Could it be it was defective? They warn not to block the in/out vents.
I didn't notice any air coming out of the vents, just the sound of the fan on. Like on a laptop when it gets hot. I was holding it in my hands so nothing was blocking any of the vents.
I guess it could be just the sun hitting the glass screen and heating it up. But it was much hotter than I expected. I never noticed my mobile device screen getting that hot, but I also never intentionally had the sun beating down on it.

When the fan is running there is quiet a noticeable hot air discharge from the vents on the top. Running the app it will get hotter than just powered up and idle. It’s winter here in the UK so nothing gets hot here!

Reactions: deltamike
I had a couple of flights today from my garden. The temperature was about 24 C. After a while the warning proximity bleeps were not audible and the camera click when I shot a still reduced to a dull click. Every other function was normal.

At the time I was holding the controller horizontal and not upright which would not have helped the vent airflow although the controller was rather warm.

When I was back inside and the controller had cooled and the sounds became normal again. I presume the heat was the culprit.

I read on the forum that the SC has a fan incorporated in it. Can you hear the fan running clearly? I listened to my SC and cannot hear it at all.

Has anyone else experienced the same please?

Yes, you should be able to hear the fan, at least I can hear it on the two I use. Usually the fan kicks in by the first 1/3 of a first flight when the temps are hot in the summer.

As for heat, in summer I can feel the screen get warm to the touch if I use the SC in ambient temps over 90 degrees and 95% or higher humidity. My usual flight routine is 3 flights, and by the end of the 2nd one I can feel the heat coming through the screen and bit on the back of the controller.

It's warm to the touch, not hot and so far I have never had it "lock"" up or shutdown due to heat or give any warning.

The actual battery on the M2 pro will most times be warmer than the SC, after a 25 minute flight in these conditions.

In winter or Spring with outside temps in the 60 to 70 range, I do not ever feel the SC get warm, screen or back of controller.

Paul C

Reactions: deltamike
Thanks Paul.

I discovered that my SC fan requires a mouth blow in the lower air vent to get it going. Obviously faulty and has raised a few comments from others. ?

I will contact DJI to query this

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenshin