DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller range

I think back in the days a lot of people were seeing reduced range when switching from the normal controller to the smart controller. I have the SC, but never flew the M2P with the normal controller, so wouldn't know. Do a search on "smart controller range" and I think you'll find a lot of posts, just no "official" information, as it is all user experience.

Never had range issues. I feel it even better than the original controller.

I get plenty of range with the smart controller, but like I mentioned, the stability of the signal even at shorter distances is a little better with the original Air2 controller and that is what I feel is more important than max distance. I do realize there are a ton of factors the come into play when when pushing them to the max, but my first hand experience is that the signal is superior on the original controller. Also that 1/2 mile difference, is the the difference between 3.5 miles and 4 miles. lol

I've flown the exact paths multiple times(not back to back) and have saw about 1/2 mile more range and stronger signal through out the entire flight with the original Air 2 controller vs my Smart controller.
Unless you are not pointing correctly the SC or have a hardware problem, 1/2 mile is a lot. Not normal even when the Stock Mavic Air 2 controller is directional.

Hello..... is there any documentation that proves the smart controller has less range than the original controller? I have the mavic Air 2
I’ve seen that subject come up and my answer would be “So what?”
The SC and the basic controller may have different ranges, but that distance FAR exceeds any battery capacity to get there and back. To me, this issue is a non-issue.

I'll be honest, I'm finding the range better than anticipated on the SC, just worried about using Litchi (via Google Store) on it at the moment, DJI Go4 working like a dream though.

Range is irrelevant if it exceeds battery capacity. Convince me I’m wrong.

Thats quite a difference, I have read other posts from Air 2 users saying how good the stock controller is, I wonder just how much actual pwr it puts out & are the antennas more efficient etc, I found my MP2 stock controller's range not as good as my smart controller, adding the Alientech Duo II has taken it to a completely different level now, just sorry I never modded it earlier.

I will stick with my previous comment.
“I could easily fly my MP2 further than I could see it with my SC so don’t see any problem with range. “
Don't take this the wrong way but I don’t get why anyone would want to fly literally miles away but that could just be me.

Reactions: Thomas B
I will stick with my previous comment.
“I could easily fly my MP2 further than I could see it with my SC so don’t see any problem with range. “
Don't take this the wrong way but I don’t get why anyone would want to fly literally miles away but that could just be me.
I agree but that one or two times you need to go the distance and it says it will do it. Then find out no not even close to the range you were told it would do. You don't find that just a little bit poor on DJI with in my case a 25% range of Spec?

It’s like a lot of things take car MPG or MPH – life expectancy of a laptop or phone battery.
The information is probably true but they did the tests under perfect conditions, for example with a car a flat test track with perfectly banked corners, no wind, constant speed & perfect temperature all play a part in the perfect test.
It’s often a case of we did this once & have the proof so it is possible ( in the real world probably not ) but they never say that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair