DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. I’d hold off until It is released to see what controller comes with it. For the price I hear that it’s going for it would want to be good.
Regards

The things I've read so far - all rumor until specs are published on DJI's web site - is the Mavic 3 will be Occusync 3.0. The current Smart Controller is Occusync 2.0. There are reports of less than optimal performance between the Occusync 2.0 SC and the Occusync 3.0 Air 2S drone.

This reported incompatibility is why I purchased an Air 2 and not an Air 2S.

The upcoming Smart Controller is supposed to be Occusync 3.0 to match the current generation of DJI drones (Air 2S and Mavic 3). So I'd wait based on that alone. Now, factor in that Occusync 3 supports a much higher bandwidth backchannel, well, another better reason to wait for it.

ps: the video speed difference is
OS 2.0 @ 12 Mb/s (live/download?)
OS 3.0 @ 16 Mb/s (live)
OS 3.0 @ 44 Mb/s (download)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the smart controller will be compatible with the Mavic 3.
I have a Mavic Air 2 and plan to buy the smart controller.
But, for the price, I hope I can use it, if I eventually upgrade.
Thank
Thanks
I’m anxious to know myself. Nonetheless Welcome from Long Island NY. Fly safe and keep your ear to the forum. When they build it, the answers will come? Well you’ll prolly see it here first. Great site! Flysafe and Godspeed, Droniac

Reactions: Chris4koi
No one really knows by now ...
From a technical view, OS 2.0 is 99,99 % compatible with OS 3.0, as pointed out, the Air 2S features it.

I have not stumbled upon any major issues with a SC v1 and the Air 2S from a friend's drone, but I guess, there are not really many people using this configuration.

It's up to DJI to support it anyway and the question when (Day 1, 6 months later?).
I guess a major factor is being able to supply them properly. If not, chances are higher that the SC v1 might also work relatively early or the complete opposite and may never be supported.

On a side note: certainly OS 3.0 is preferable over OS 2.0, but never had any issues with the "older" one and giving VLOS, bandwith and range never bothered me too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris4koi
Thanks
No,Mavic 3 will have Occu sink 3, smart controller has occu sink 2,That’s why they’re coming out with a new smart controller and yeah it sucks that it’s not compatible but it will not be but I bet the new controller they come out with will work with all of the Drones

Thanks

The current SC is compatible with the Air 2S which is also Occusync 3.0, so at the moment we have no reason to believe it won't also be compatible with the M3, just without any of the benefits of Occusync 3.0. Probably depends on DJI's marketing department more than anything. If the SC V2.0 is in short supply, I think there will be quite a few people wanting to use their SC v1.0 at least until they can get their hands on the newer version. I personally hate the controller + smartphone/tablet setup, so I am hoping it's backwards compatible as it is for the Air 2S.

There is still a good reason for customers to upgrade as Occusync 3.0 has better range & bandwidth, so I suspect DJI will let people use the SC v1.0 as they do wit the Air2S as it won't cannibalize sales too much.

No,Mavic 3 will have Occu sink 3, smart controller has occu sink 2,That’s why they’re coming out with a new smart controller and yeah it sucks that it’s not compatible but it will not be but I bet the new controller they come out with will work with all of the Drones
This is wrong.

The current SC is sold with the Air 2S in a combo package by DJI. The Air 2S is Occusync 3.0, which is backwards compatible with Occusync 2.0. So the Mavic 3 will very likely be compatible with the current SC.

Think of it like this: a USB 3 device will work with a USB 2 hub, but just not as well as if you used a USB 3 hub.

I’m eyeing the Mavic 3, but don’t want to spend the $$ on a smart controller. Would be nice if the smart controller would work, as that would push a lot of folks in the camp of the 3.

I’m hoping that as things begin to rollout, DJI will allow for this option with software upgrades. Seems somewhat foolish to not include existing owners of a SC from using it with their 3.

Thanks
I have a SC that I fly with a MP2 and An Air 2S. To my knowledge it will NOT be usable with the Mavic 3. The next generation SC for Mavic 3 is not compatible with earlier drones sadly. There may be others here who have all the pieces to answer your question with direct experience.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada