DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

smart controller

Tried that video. My goal with getting Google services to work was so that I could use drone deploy, which requires play services. I can get play services to run and install Google play, but it appears that the controller will absolutely not allow google apps to run on the controller, and therefore no drone deploy.
I think at this point I will get a basic controller and pair it with my phone to run third party apps and use the smart controller when I'm flying positive control. The smart controller is really good for that; bright, not as glitchy, dedicated, etc.

Reactions: Former Member
Tried that video. My goal with getting Google services to work was so that I could use drone deploy, which requires play services. I can get play services to run and install Google play, but it appears that the controller will absolutely not allow google apps to run on the controller, and therefore no drone deploy.
I think at this point I will get a basic controller and pair it with my phone to run third party apps and use the smart controller when I'm flying positive control. The smart controller is really good for that; bright, not as glitchy, dedicated, etc.

I'm stll hoping someone posts a full tutorial on how to install the Google Play suite. While someone posted the modules needed, I could not find or download some of them. And then, there's the question of whether those are sufficient or you still run into the problems you encountered.

Google Services Framework for 7.1.2 Nougat
Google Play Framework for 7.1.2 Nougat
Google Account Manager for 7.1.2 Nougat
Google Play Store apk

Reactions: Don the engineer
So I was on the phone with DJI for over an hour ( I didnt really expect a solution) concerning this problem. Two "facts" were established according to DJI.

1. It's not possible to connect a phone or tablet to the smart charger and bypass the smart controller system.

2. If you install a program that requires GFS (Google framework services) to run, it more than likely will not. And as a caveat, you cant install Google framework services and expect it to run.

Therefore, the only solution for me was to purchase the basic controller to run programs like DroneDeploy or Dronebase and expect them to function correctly. Unfortunately, DJI store is not currently selling the M2 basic remotes so I had to fight for one on Ebay.

So I was on the phone with DJI for over an hour ( I didnt really expect a solution) concerning this problem. Two "facts" were established according to DJI.

1. It's not possible to connect a phone or tablet to the smart charger and bypass the smart controller system.

2. If you install a program that requires GFS (Google framework services) to run, it more than likely will not. And as a caveat, you cant install Google framework services and expect it to run.

Therefore, the only solution for me was to purchase the basic controller to run programs like DroneDeploy or Dronebase and expect them to function correctly. Unfortunately, DJI store is not currently selling the M2 basic remotes so I had to fight for one on Ebay.
Not hard to find. I got a like new used one for $150

Thanks for the additional "sorry" info from DJI.

I'm disappointed. I cant get third party apps to work on it. Google services aren't supported so the ones that require it wont boot up, (drone deploy for example...) pilot wont recognize the aircraft. It's a good controller if you are just going to fly it around and you're happy with only the features of DJI GO 4. If you're a tweaker...skip it
Any chance any of you guys want to sell yours?

What a pain. I know how you feel.

Any chance any of you guys want to sell yours?
I think you can get one from ebay. Do it fast though when people realize the cost just went up they will be harder to get.

This is the important part, and by far the most likely explanation for various people's claims of significantly different performance. Or they're in CE mode and don't know it - I sometimes need to remind myself that there are lots of members here outside of North America.

There is nothing I'm aware of that would give it obviously better or worse range than the original controller - the only minor thing I can think of is the antenna are locked parallel in the absolute ideal position, where the normal controller can be difficult to keep them perfectly parallel at all times.

From DJI's point of view they should be identical, and you would need 2 drones and 2 controllers to do any meaningful testing. If they were significantly different I'd be exchanging it. Not many folks are flying out 8KM though so I don't imagine this gets tested very often.
This is my signal with Smart Controller in FCC. The signal is good, but worse than that of the normal radio in the FCC.
9 km Smart Controller in FCC.jpg

Positive dBm values represent transmission strength (like for these remotes) and negative dBm values represent receiver sensitivity (like your smartphone on a WiFi network).

The way DJI has listed those specs is somewhat ambiguous because for the standard remote, they do not use a decimal place (which means it could be identical to the SC at 25.5, simply rounded up), and they also say the transmission power is "less than or equal to" 26 dBm, which is ambiguous in itself. For the Smart Controller, they simply list 25.5 dBm, which could just be the same 26dBm of the standard controller with an extra decimal place of accuracy. Further, they do not put a "less than or equal to" qualifier on it like they do for the standard controller, which possibly could mean it is consistently stronger but that is pure speculation - hard to believe they would go to that level of detail when providing the general public with specs.

The difference between 25.5 dBm and 26.0 dBm is measurable though, the former is 355mW and the latter is 398mW, a ~12% difference. I suspect environmental factors would have a greater impact than that difference, it it exists, but it would be very difficult to test accurately. I also imagine there ends up being at least 0.5dBm difference either way with manufacturing variances. My personal guess is that for all intents and purposes, they have designed them with the same transmission power - if there was a significant difference they would have to also adjust the 8KM max rating.
This is my signal in Boost (1.5 watt). The boosted normal radio is unbeatable.
11 km Radio Normale in Boost.jpg

This is the important part, and by far the most likely explanation for various people's claims of significantly different performance. Or they're in CE mode and don't know it - I sometimes need to remind myself that there are lots of members here outside of North America.

There is nothing I'm aware of that would give it obviously better or worse range than the original controller - the only minor thing I can think of is the antenna are locked parallel in the absolute ideal position, where the normal controller can be difficult to keep them perfectly parallel at all times.

From DJI's point of view they should be identical, and you would need 2 drones and 2 controllers to do any meaningful testing. If they were significantly different I'd be exchanging it. Not many folks are flying out 8KM though so I don't imagine this gets tested very often.

I have a novice question, my SC doesn’t seem to get as much range and the stock controller, how do you check if it’s in CE mode and I would imagine when you get to the place to check it you will have the option to turn off? TIA

Just ordered my M2 Pro w/ Smart Controller on Sunday night, and then on Monday, I read that you can't use Drone Deploy with the SC. Looking forward to flying with the SC and experiencing the Crystal Sky brightness here in Sunny Florida, but very disappointed that I'll be purchasing an additional (Standard) controller for use with Drone Deploy. This has been an issue for well over a ear now and it should have been addressed by now.

Just ordered my M2 Pro w/ Smart Controller on Sunday night, and then on Monday, I read that you can't use Drone Deploy with the SC. Looking forward to flying with the SC and experiencing the Crystal Sky brightness here in Sunny Florida, but very disappointed that I'll be purchasing an additional (Standard) controller for use with Drone Deploy. This has been an issue for well over a ear now and it should have been addressed by now.
you can try using Litchi on SC - it may work OK to replace DD for you.

Reactions: buccs407
This is the important part, and by far the most likely explanation for various people's claims of significantly different performance. Or they're in CE mode and don't know it - I sometimes need to remind myself that there are lots of members here outside of North America
Yes! It would be very helpful to all if members put a location in their signature/ preferences.... Then folks from different continents could better evaluate posts and offer help!

Worst range dji SC I have seen for a controller that cost so much**I rather use my standard controller to fly my mavic 2

Are you consistently seeing only about 400m of range? I did my first flight with the Maverick 2 and SC yesterday and got weak signal warning about 1000 feet out and actually lost connection beyond that as I was testing the Waypoint feature with a test WP set at about 2000 feet out. That was scary. I wonder if this is a common issue or just we may have a defective unit.
I wasted $749 for piece of junk SC

Yes! It would be very helpful to all if members put a location in their signature/ preferences.... Then folks from different continents could better evaluate posts and offer help!
Nah***I in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d