DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 SNOWING TREES - took my AIR2 through some snowstorm test, I guess it passed it with flying colors!

took my AIR2 through some snowstorm test, I guess it passed it with flying colors!​

Congratulations! Now you will have the confidence to repeat this act. The problem is one day, the conditions will be slightly different and your new thread will be titled "I lost my Drone, I just don't get it".

Reactions: radosnypstrykacz
Congratulations! Now you will have the confidence to repeat this act. The problem is one day, the conditions will be slightly different and your new thread will be titled "I lost my Drone, I just don't get it".
Haha, hopefully you're not a good prophet ;)

Haha, hopefully you're not a good prophet ;)
I'm probably not a good Prophet, but I do have 18,000+ hours of aircraft flying experience. Much of that time was operating light aircraft without Anti-Ice or De-ice equipment. I have seen first hand the effects of airframe and prop icing while actually in the aircaft in question. The situation takes on new meaning when your personal lifeand safety are involved. Obviously, your personal safety is not a factor if your drone falls from the sky but it's still an aircraft to me and crashing is not acceptable, or in my case, affordable.

I'm probably not a good Prophet, but I do have 18,000+ hours of aircraft flying experience. Much of that time was operating light aircraft without Anti-Ice or De-ice equipment. I have seen first hand the effects of airframe and prop icing while actually in the aircaft in question. The situation takes on new meaning when your personal lifeand safety are involved. Obviously, your personal safety is not a factor if your drone falls from the sky but it's still an aircraft to me and crashing is not acceptable, or in my case, affordable.
I don't want to crash my drone either, definitely not affordable for me too. Of course it was a risk, I was fully aware of that but I flew away from people and did a couple of minutes of test fly just to see if the weather would have any effect on the drone. It didn't so I went on with the filming. Drone came back dry like it didn't even snow.

Thank you for your input, it's nice to have such an experienced flyer share the knowledge, I will definitely take your advice into account and I want to learn as much as I can - it's not like I go flying the second I see snow falling :) Did you have any problems caused by the weather when operating your drone? If so, how did you deal with them?

Snow won’t have much of an effect since it blows right past as your flying through it. Unless it’s a wet snow. I've flown in temps down around 0 degrees F. Just keep batteries warm before you takeoff. Rain is a whole different problem because it does creep inside. It will fly through the rain and you may think everything was just fine. It may not effect your drone right away but you can end up with corrosion problems weeks or months later.

<SNIP>Did you have any problems caused by the weather when operating your drone? If so, how did you deal with them?
With the drone, flights are short so the weather decisions mostly occur before the flight.. I had to look up which Aircraft you operate and found you fly the Air 2. That Aircraft has good performance which is a good thing, but there are a number of Mini Pilots that have been overcome by high winds. It is interesting to learn how much wind id encountered on any gicen flight. I am a subscriber to AirData.com and my account includes reports actual winds at altitude. Many times, the winds at our operational altitudes are 50% or more higher than the surface winds. I'm guessing there are not too many drone pilots realize that fact. Happy Flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom