DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So I️ had my first swim in the Olentangy River today...

GooterFly68

Reactions
So I️ have been flying over water with confidence, being aware of my surroundings, and never back up if you don’t know what’s behind me. So what happens today? I️ was flying over the Olentangy River this afternoon. It’s a super shallow river mind you. I️ head down the river about a two hundred feet away, turn around and start to head back. There was this rock side wall that I️ wanted to shoot so I️ yawed to the right, thought I️ was a bit close so I️ started to slowly inch backward. Weeeeeelllllll I️ inched back one too many inches. Clipped a branch, heard a brief alarm on my iPad, and then see the splash... I️ had an idea as to where she went in, probably wouldn’t have found her if it weren’t for the front LEDs still glowing in about a foot of water. Fished her out...not structural damage, turned her off, pulled the battery, removed the props, and now have her tilted on her nose to dry out. Is there anything else I️ should be doing to get my MP dried out as quickly as possible?

So I have been flying over water with confidence, being aware of my surroundings, and never back up if you don’t know what’s behind me. So what happens today? I was flying over the Olentangy River this afternoon. It’s a super shallow river mind you. I head down the river about a two hundred feet away, turn around and start to head back. There was this rock side wall that I wanted to shoot so I yawed to the right, thought I was a bit close so I started to slowly inch backward. Weeeeeelllllll I inched back one too many inches. Clipped a branch, heard a brief alarm on my iPad, and then see the splash... I had an idea as to where she went in, probably wouldn’t have found her if it weren’t for the front LEDs still glowing in about a foot of water. Fished her out...not structural damage, turned her off, pulled the battery, removed the props, and now have her tilted on her nose to dry out. Is there anything else I should be doing to get my MP dried out as quickly as possible?

Will DampRid help extract the moisture from from the inside quicker?

Last edited:
Did you buy DJI Refresh or have any other type of drone insurance?

You can use most types of dehumidifiers, such as a bag of rice for a few days, or the one you mentioned above, but be careful of the residue that can build up inside on your components. The biggest problem will be your gimbal, the motors sometimes fry if any water gets in there. Also, your battery might short out when you try to reconnect it.

Do your best to get it dry, when you think it's dry, make sure the battery contacts are also dry. You can try to turn it on, but watch very carefully for any smoke. If you see any, pull the battery.

Good luck!

Rice has to physically touch water droplets or water to absorb it, it will not magicly draw and absorb it from the air.
You need silica gell crystals to do this or some other hydrostatic compound.
Also using rice is only going to put rice dust into the fine parts of your drone such ad gimbal motor gaps and drone fan and cause more damage later on. Do NOT USE rice its a myth.

Reactions: GooterFly68
I have wondered if giving it a wash in 99% isopropyl alcohol would help displace water, or would that just dissolve internal electronics?

I can't give any reliable advice about the Mavic, but I'd follow the recommendations in the battery manual and dispose of that LiPo. And if the bird turns out to be OK, be careful for a while. I went in the shower with my hearing aids, and they got wet for just a few seconds. They worked fine after drying, then died within a day of each other in about a week.

Worked perfectly for my iphone that got covered in water. Weird screen then stopped working. Stuck in a bag of rice for 48 hours. Never missed a beat since! I except that there may be other agent that are better. But perhaps more damage is done by the time your found it or gone out and bought it than just using what is readily at hand. Just be careful that the grains down get into where they shouldn't!

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. I️ actually packed around my MP with four packs of DampRid, letting it sit for the next 3-4 days before I️ touch it...

Reactions: mwhitton2004
I have wondered if giving it a wash in 99% isopropyl alcohol would help displace water, or would that just dissolve internal electronics?

Isopropyl alcohol will ruin the camera lens. It will also dissolve any adhesives in the Mavic that hold parts together or components to electronics. Prolonged exposure to isopropyl alcohol can also cause "crazing" or stiffening of the plastic components, depending on what they're made of. I'm not sure what types of plastics the Mavic has in it.

Also have DJI Refresh and Personal Property insurance through State Farm. Better route to take using these two options?

Either will work for you. You can always try to save your Mavic and if it doesn't work, then utilize your coverage through Refresh or insurance. You also should probably never utilize the battery that was in the water. That component alone would cover the cost of the Refresh, so if you're not planning on crashing your bird again, you might want to utilize your Refresh while you can.

Either will work for you. You can always try to save your Mavic and if it doesn't work, then utilize your coverage through Refresh or insurance. You also should probably never utilize the battery that was in the water. That component alone would cover the cost of the Refresh, so if you're not planning on crashing your bird again, you might want to utilize your Refresh while you can.

Thanks for your guidance Sir...

I'm curious as to why you opted for both and not one or the other?

After opting for DJI Refresh I️ had read several unflattering issues with DJI support and their Refresh program. I️ also read a post here that they picked up a personal articles insurance policy thru State Farm for $61 a year. Covers everything so I️ got that as a backup should I️ have issues with DJI and their Refresh program. Better to have it and not need it than to get jerked around by DJI and not have it...

After opting for DJI Refresh I️ had read several unflattering issues with DJI support and their Refresh program. I️ also read a post here that they picked up a personal articles insurance policy thru State Farm for $61 a year. Covers everything so I️ got that as a backup should I️ have issues with DJI and their Refresh program. Better to have it and not need it than to get jerked around by DJI and not have it...

That makes sense, I went the State Farm route because i heard nightmare stories dealing with DJI Refresh. If you do end up making a claim with State Farm, can you update us with how it went for you?

Sorry your bird took a bath. Did you at least get any footage? I crashed mine within a couple days of getting it. I had refresh and went with their express route since the damage was obvious and most likely going to be expensive.

The process was fine and the only bummer was not having a magic for a couple weeks (And the extra money it cost with express)

Quick hard lesson for not allowing it to go backwards in a tracking mode I hadn't learned to pause yet. I was mostly just glad no one was hurt and the only thing that was damaged was my magic and pride. Biggest bummer was no footage though. Basically a neighbors dog started chasing it in and it backed into said neighbors house. Probably would have looked smooth as butter up until the crash but now I'll never know.

I've been curious about the State Farm route myself but do you just walk into or call a local office? I don't use them for any other policy and feel awkward doing it but it definitely seems like the better alternative. Refresh is very limited.

Sorry your bird took a bath. Did you at least get any footage? I crashed mine within a couple days of getting it. I had refresh and went with their express route since the damage was obvious and most likely going to be expensive.

The process was fine and the only bummer was not having a magic for a couple weeks (And the extra money it cost with express)

Quick hard lesson for not allowing it to go backwards in a tracking mode I hadn't learned to pause yet. I was mostly just glad no one was hurt and the only thing that was damaged was my magic and pride. Biggest bummer was no footage though. Basically a neighbors dog started chasing it in and it backed into said neighbors house. Probably would have looked smooth as butter up until the crash but now I'll never know.

I've been curious about the State Farm route myself but do you just walk into or call a local office? I don't use them for any other policy and feel awkward doing it but it definitely seems like the better alternative. Refresh is very limited.

It was total and complete pilot error. I️ backed up without VLOS and clipped a branch and into the river she went.

I’m with State Farm already and just called them to set up the policy for me. So you should be able to do the same even if you’re not a policy holder.

Reactions: keithhesh
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven