DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So I cropped the 4K video....

I would watch it if imgur didn't say “We and our partners use technologies, and process personal data, such as IP addresses “

I cropped it to a 1080p. I expect a FHD video, but what I get is a video that look's like it was recorded with a $5 webcam.
Starts out blurry but sharpens considerably @ 5 seconds - does it not?

Reactions: Malcx
Cropping is not about the rending format, cropping is reducing the view (Zooming in/reducing the view point). If you shot it in 4k and you render it in 1080p has nothing to do with cropping, that is simply reducing the pixel level. If the source (actual/original footage was blurry) was bad you can't make it much better. Most people shoot in 4k and edit/render in 1080p to save on space and time as many don't have a computer that can handle rendering at 4k. Then uploading to youtube or any other social media takes less time. Also those same media formats also compress your footage further. In the end if you start out with blurry/bad footage, it just gets worst.

Don’t judge quality on YouTube ever. They have reencoded your video with theirs and send out reduced quality based on your streaming speed.

I cropped it to a 1080p. I expect a FHD video, but what I get is a video that look's like it was recorded with a $5 webcam.

Would be interesting if you compare your crop video to one you shoot with your drone in 1080 mode.

Would be interesting if you compare your crop video to one you shoot with your drone in 1080 mode.

That's just it. The 1080p is fine. But the 1080p cropped from 4K is bad. I've thinking about it and I assume it maybe due to the lens angular resolution or maybe the way the video was encoded.

That's just it. The 1080p is fine. But the 1080p cropped from 4K is bad. I've thinking about it and I assume it maybe due to the lens angular resolution or maybe the way the video was encoded.

Hi,

i agree with your conclusions. Compared to 1080p, 4K is twice the pixel sampling in each dimension (x,y). But there is not a significant gain when we think of resolvable image features. A bit more detail - yes - but thats it... Compression artifacts, optical smearing and also strong sensor noise seem to downgrade the quality of 4k images to a degree that it comes too close to what you get with 1080p. Maybe a good compromise would be to use the 2.7k mode to save some disc space and take advantage of the slightly better image details.
I have made a scene crops image for comparison - see attachment. I took a single frame from the 1080p and 4k without further processing. Left side is 1080p (ca. 220 x 130 pixels crop), right side is 4k (ca. 440 x 260 crop) with the same scene content. On the left side the compression artifacts are more visible and the right side looks a bit less pixelated. Under not-so-bright scene conditions noise is strong in both images. In the left image compression reduces noise a bit but sacrifices also detail - so that plateau areas are visible.
I guess i will use 2.7k in the future..

Greetings

Attachments

• 4K_vs_1080.png
    4K_vs_1080.png
    229.6 KB · Views: 12
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members