DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So I took the MP1 out today and had a odd situation

I lost signal. Auto return to home was started but the problem was that the sun was seen as an obsticle and the drone also was near a mountain side so I couldn't get the thing to move beccause no matter what I did it showed the sun an obsticle. I had to disable sensors in order to get my bird back.. weird situation, its like everything that went wrong did go wrong. I paniced at first then started to think how do I get out of the situation and removed the obsticle avoidence so I could climb and avoid the obsticle (cactus and the sun).

Here is the video, not sure how it was flying in that direction when it should have been flying straight.
it happened around 4:14.. just thought i would share.\

I am not an expert but that seemed to be a fairly normal flight that should not have caused those problems for you? Don't have an answer but if it was me I would do all necessary calibrations and try again.

I recently flew a 16-point Litchi Waypoint mission, and during the flight, the drone's forward sensor picked up a sun-reflection (or maybe a propeller shadow) in such a way that it caused the drone to stop/jerk THIRTY-TWO times in the same location. I could see it happening on the monitor but just left it alone. Eventually, it had turned itself so that the reflection (or shadow) was no longer interpreted as an "obstacle" -- and the mission completed itself without further incident. During post-work in VideoPad, I edited out all but two of the 32 jerks (which can be seen at 1:26 in this video):

I've seen at least two posts about the easiest way to get out of the obstacle avoidance mode.... which is JUST get into Sport Mode. Simple. One switch on the controller, no need to wander thru options in the app. Why haven't you guys acknowledged that as the best and easiest way to solve this problem? At a high altitude there should be no obstacles. Just flip the switch if the sun is a problem and fly home. Right?

Just flip the switch if the sun is a problem and fly home. Right?

If one is flying a Litchi Waypoint mission, flipping the switch would probably abort the mission and leave you hovering - at which time you could, of course, fly home. My video was flown at 200 feet - so no obstacles up there other than the sun's glare and/or propellers' shadow.

I turned OA off because of false detections.
If you switch to Sport mode the
My MP1 (is that what we are calling it now) does some crazy things sometimes as well. In fact so has the Phantom 4 Pro. Just part of the excitement of flying these fickle machines. As they say, if you ain’t crashing, you ain’t flying.
There is a really useful feature that the MAvic Pro [1] has, called 'Home Lock' ... If you engage 'Home lock' and then pull the [pitch] stick back and hold it there, then no matter what direction the Mavic is pointed in, it will fly directly back along a course that's between it and it's home point. If the sensors are being hit by sunlight when the Mavic is pointing back at you, engage 'Home Lock', spin the drone in map-view to point away from you (& the sun), then just pull back on the stick. You can adjust height while it's in transit if you want to go over any trees etc.
Well I did not know that. Very useful.

I am not an expert but that seemed to be a fairly normal flight that should not have caused those problems for you? Don't have an answer but if it was me I would do all necessary calibrations and try again.
I did calibrate and found that the drone does not veer to the left any longer which is what got me into this situation in the first plalce. Thanks for the reply bud.

I've seen at least two posts about the easiest way to get out of the obstacle avoidance mode.... which is JUST get into Sport Mode. Simple. One switch on the controller, no need to wander thru options in the app. Why haven't you guys acknowledged that as the best and easiest way to solve this problem? At a high altitude there should be no obstacles. Just flip the switch if the sun is a problem and fly home. Right?

I did switch to sport mode eventually but I can't understand how it even got into that situation in the first place. The only thing I can think of is that it was veering to the right and now I have recalibrated everything.. I guess the real issues is OA thinking the sun is an Obsticle. There has to be a way to get around that like implement firmware that knows that there is a bright light pointint at it but does not mean it is an obsticle. Just odd.. ya know?

Yes that would be right but it was my fault that the drone was out of sight and went behind a mountain. If I wouldn't have had the titan cyclone I would have been screwed. The way I got out was backing up while going up in sports mode to clear the moutain.

I did calibrate and found that the drone does not veer to the left any longer which is what got me into this situation in the first plalce. Thanks for the reply bud.

I’m going to say no. If you have a unit that is operating properly do not calibrate. The reason it stopped moving is a system defect that is common to every Mavic. Calibrating will not change it. Understand the issue and compensate. Fly at a different time of day or fly the mission enough to comfortable and disable the sensors.

Veer.... you mean fly in an arc? That’s a huge indication of a compass issue and something you should add to your checklist.. along with ensuring that the bird is facing the correct direction in the app. Face it north and check the arrow on the app to ensure it is facing the correct direction on the mapq. Fly out straight pull back straight...if there is an arc you have a problem. In hover if it starts toilet bowling you have a problem.. easy checks..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest