DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So, I wrecked...

Quasi

Reactions
So, there I was. Out in front of my house filming my son playing on the playground. Of course, as all six year olds are apt to do, he wanted to see how fast it would go. How could I say no? Now, I'm a fairly experience pilot, but I'm still getting used to how the Air handles in Sport mode. So there I am doing some Sport mode maneuvers at the end of our street, in a relatively confined area. Now I'm not really opening her up mind you, just really doing some short runs and tight banks at a about five feet off the ground. Of course as luck would have it, a low hanging tree branch decided to jump out of nowwhere a snag my two week old Air out of the air. So to speak. To make matters worse, instead of landing of grass the Air decided to land on it's back on a nice soft patch of concrete. Of course, the props are also still spinning while she's laying on her back. Now my since white Air has some nice cosmetic scrates on her back and I'm down one full set of props...

Lucky, outside of the cosmetic damage to the shell and some destroyed props the Air still flys and function normally. No operational issues after a hard landing. Overall I'll call that a win in light of my stupidity of flying in sport mode where I did. Total dumb move. The only other damge she received is that I snapped off on of the landing feet on one of the rear motors. It appears to just be an end cap for the motor. So my question to you experience DJI pilots is how can I get a new end cap? Does anyone have any insight if I can have DJI just mail me this end cap / landing foot? I'm hoping I don't have to send the Air in for factory service to get a new landing foot that look to just snap in place. Any insights are appreciated...

Lesson learned. No sport more unless I have wide open spaces in the future. And not near any trees...

See the pictures below to get a look at the damage.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any suggestions on getting a new landing foot...

Cheers,

Quasi

Attachments

• IMG_2926.JPG
    IMG_2926.JPG
    759.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2927.JPG
    IMG_2927.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 329
Reactions: Chirp
Sorry for your showing off going wrong. Do they have the extended landing gear that would cover it up?

So, there I was. Out in front of my house filming my son playing on the playground. Of course, as all six year olds are apt to do, he wanted to see how fast it would go. How could I say no? Now, I'm a fairly experience pilot, but I'm still getting used to how the Air handles in Sport mode. So there I am doing some Sport mode maneuvers at the end of our street, in a relatively confined area. Now I'm not really opening her up mind you, just really doing some short runs and tight banks at a about five feet off the ground. Of course as luck would have it, a low hanging tree branch decided to jump out of nowwhere a snag my two week old Air out of the air. So to speak. To make matters worse, instead of landing of grass the Air decided to land on it's back on a nice soft patch of concrete. Of course, the props are also still spinning while she's laying on her back. Now my since white Air has some nice cosmetic scrates on her back and I'm down one full set of props...

Lucky, outside of the cosmetic damage to the shell and some destroyed props the Air still flys and function normally. No operational issues after a hard landing. Overall I'll call that a win in light of my stupidity of flying in sport mode where I did. Total dumb move. The only other damge she received is that I snapped off on of the landing feet on one of the rear motors. It appears to just be an end cap for the motor. So my question to you experience DJI pilots is how can I get a new end cap? Does anyone have any insight if I can have DJI just mail me this end cap / landing foot? I'm hoping I don't have to send the Air in for factory service to get a new landing foot that look to just snap in place. Any insights are appreciated...

Lesson learned. No sport more unless I have wide open spaces in the future. And not near any trees...

See the pictures below to get a look at the damage.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any suggestions on getting a new landing foot...

Cheers,

Quasi
I am sure that there will be skins available for the air so the scratches can be hidden from your eyes to prevent being reminded daily of the crash.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Have you found the end cap? It should be lying somewhere near crash site, unless the evil tree decided to keep a souvenir to show off to other trees of its victory. If you find it, it could pop back in. Had similar thing happened to me with my Spark.

Have you found the end cap? It should be lying somewhere near crash site, unless the evil tree decided to keep a souvenir to show off to other trees of its victory. If you find it, it could pop back in. Had similar thing happened to me with my Spark.

I found the end cap but unfortunately it got a bit mangled in the process. The little parts that hold it in are busted and the peice is cracked. It will definitely need a new one. At least the Air survived a pretty hard landing on concrete. I'd say overall it's pretty sturdy considering the situation. Thank for the reply!

Sorry for your crash.
Sounds like you got real lucky though.
But at least you 'own it'.
So (TOO) many try to blame the gear.
No it was totaly my fault. That's what I get for showing off in a confined area! I'm happy the Air held up as well as it did!

I crashed my DJI Mavic Air after only flying successfully one day.

So, after the Firmware update on 2/9, I was going to take my new drone out for the second time, just before sunset. I was excited, but since it had been a full day since the update, I figured I should try and make sure there wasn't a patch to deal with. Then I discovered I was having connection issues ... so I took the drone and controller outside in my backyard where I could deal with it in an open outside area.

Well, after tinkering, I got it to connect. I was really excited ... ready to go. I popped out the battery and decided to just top it off (I was down to 84%) and then I would go. Well, as I was carrying the drone and battery in one hand and controller with my phone in the other (both hands full) I tripped on my walk, and literally slid the drone across the patio, crashing into the house, me on my back and my hands bleeding from broken glass that I had knocked off the table.

I laid there for about 5 minutes, too afraid to look at the damage. Wondering why my back and knee hurt so badly. I have the Refresh, I thought to myself ... it will be OK. I saw a prop, under the patio chair. I rolled over, searching for any lose parts, but found none. After a look over, the only thing that was damaged was the prop that had popped off, was slightly bent. I replaced it and it flies and films perfect.

So, I crashed my Mavic Air without even putting it into the air, because I'm a clumsy old man. I sure am happy this is a tough little bird. I've only had 3 days (nine batteries) of flight time so far, and I am looking forward to my next day off to fly again. I guess I need to ALWAYS be careful with this drone, not just when I'm flying it. smh

That sucks! That damage would drive my OCD crazy to the point I'd have to replace it.

So, after the Firmware update on 2/9, I was going to take my new drone out for the second time, just before sunset. I was excited, but since it had been a full day since the update, I figured I should try and make sure there wasn't a patch to deal with. Then I discovered I was having connection issues ... so I took the drone and controller outside in my backyard where I could deal with it in an open outside area.

Well, after tinkering, I got it to connect. I was really excited ... ready to go. I popped out the battery and decided to just top it off (I was down to 84%) and then I would go. Well, as I was carrying the drone and battery in one hand and controller with my phone in the other (both hands full) I tripped on my walk, and literally slid the drone across the patio, crashing into the house, me on my back and my hands bleeding from broken glass that I had knocked off the table.

I laid there for about 5 minutes, too afraid to look at the damage. Wondering why my back and knee hurt so badly. I have the Refresh, I thought to myself ... it will be OK. I saw a prop, under the patio chair. I rolled over, searching for any lose parts, but found none. After a look over, the only thing that was damaged was the prop that had popped off, was slightly bent. I replaced it and it flies and films perfect.

So, I crashed my Mavic Air without even putting it into the air, because I'm a clumsy old man. I sure am happy this is a tough little bird. I've only had 3 days (nine batteries) of flight time so far, and I am looking forward to my next day off to fly again. I guess I need to ALWAYS be careful with this drone, not just when I'm flying it. smh
So sorry! Hopefully the damage to you is as minor as the damage to your Air! Enjoy your next flights!

Sry bout you're fall could happen to anyone. Remember damaged props that have less lift/more drag can tax the Gyro and give Sensor warnings.

I almost wrecked today. Was flying in my front yard below a tree at low battery when RTH kicked in and it started to climb. Managed to hit pause and then land myself. Probably wouldn’t have been a bad crash, but glad I didn’t get to find out!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke