DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sold the Zoom for a Pro

Wow!!! The zoom takes nice video:

Well, if your user-name represents where you live - good going! That city just a bit north of I-5's terminus is quite terrific. I don't visit often enough. We usually look for a good show at the Art Gallery.

That video is fantastic. I'm sure a similarly fantastic video could be produced from the Pro2, also.

IMHO the release of two separate drones that are identical in all respects except for the camera was one of the most mean spirited marketing decisions ever made by a technology manufacturer, especially so because they could have chosen to release a single model with a plug-n-play mechanism to facilitate a user-friendly camera swap-out.

I might be wrong about how feasible this would have actually been for DJI given the ever challenging size/weight-related issues. But it just makes me wonder if this is what they are planning for the next "Mavic" release later in the year.

Indeed think for a minute about what you would really like or reasonably expect to see in the next Mavic drone apart from a few more minutes of battery time and a user-friendly camera swap facility. Probably some software/firmware enhancements but that's about it I reckon.

Of course, it would be naive to expect technology manufactures to shoe-horn as many new features and capabilities into every product release because then they would not make as much money. The typical tech firm operates on the basis that one segment of its customer base will upgrade every cycle while the others leap-frog one cycle.

I happen to fall into the latter group - I bought a Mavic Pro (with a generous discount) a couple of months prior to the release of the Mavic 2 twins. If the next Mavic offering is what I predict it to be then I will be at the front of the queue.

DJI just needs to be careful that they don't suffer the "Apple" syndrome whereby more and more iPhone customers are opting to keep their existing handsets while two or three product release cycles sail into history. There are plenty of people out there who are more than content with iPhone 6s or 7s.

Thats the good thing about the Mavic 2. If you dont like the lens you got, drop me a line and I can sell you a different one, depending on what I have in stock. I take trade-ins...

Im also working on a very low cost concept for exchanging the Zoom for a Pro and vice-versa. It might be less than $300 to go from a zoom to a pro. Will know more after some testing.

I've been thinking a 24mm equivalent F/2.8(2.0 would be great!) would be nice.Feasible?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
IMHO the release of two separate drones that are identical in all respects except for the camera was one of the most mean spirited marketing decisions ever made by a technology manufacturer, especially so because they could have chosen to release a single model with a plug-n-play mechanism to facilitate a user-friendly camera swap-out.

I might be wrong about how feasible this would have actually been for DJI given the ever challenging size/weight-related issues. But it just makes me wonder if this is what they are planning for the next "Mavic" release later in the year.

Indeed think for a minute about what you would really like or reasonably expect to see in the next Mavic drone apart from a few more minutes of battery time and a user-friendly camera swap facility. Probably some software/firmware enhancements but that's about it I reckon.

Of course, it would be naive to expect technology manufactures to shoe-horn as many new features and capabilities into every product release because then they would not make as much money. The typical tech firm operates on the basis that one segment of its customer base will upgrade every cycle while the others leap-frog one cycle.

I happen to fall into the latter group - I bought a Mavic Pro (with a generous discount) a couple of months prior to the release of the Mavic 2 twins. If the next Mavic offering is what I predict it to be then I will be at the front of the queue.

DJI just needs to be careful that they don't suffer the "Apple" syndrome whereby more and more iPhone customers are opting to keep their existing handsets while two or three product release cycles sail into history. There are plenty of people out there who are more than content with iPhone 6s or 7s.

I agree.

That is a concern. DJI could also write firmware that would prevent users from switching cameras. Worse yet, DJI could have the firmware lock up the drone meaning you have to send it to DJI for repairs. DJI is probably owned by the Chinese Government so anything is possible.

I know for a fact that the Chinese Government has been studying all of the images my Zoom has taken of my solar roof panels. They are amazed that I wasted that much money on solar for rainy Seattle!

Now while somewhat facetious, I've little doubt that some images might be of interest to THEM!

I guess they could have-

Now available, 2 exciting new Drones. Choose the new Mavic 2 Pro with the iconic Hasseblad camera or the Mavic 2 Zoom for $1499.

That's assuming one has the funds and technical skills for both gimbals.

Pro vs zoom is a matter of preference.

see it for yourself:
I prefer the Zoom.
Ohh the pro has D-cinelike.. Yeah, I do color change in the Zoom too and it gets great, maybe even better..
The PRO is only for PROs.. I get 48MP on the zoom with superresolution.
I think the PRO name is misleading people. more expensive is not always better.

Has anyone traded their Zoom for a Pro? Trying to decide which one to buy this week.

See this: Review: DJI Mavic 2 Zoom and Pro drones present an agonizing choice
I still prefer the ZOOM anytime. The PRO is just hype. People are saying it is better because of the higher price
The photos are great in the Zoom. The Videos are great in the Zoom. I dont see that difference.
I can colorgrade the videos on the Zoom as much as with the mavic 2 Pro and both look great. Dont see that much difference, only the price.

Has anyone traded their Zoom for a Pro? Trying to decide which one to buy this week.

In case it has not already been mentioned the Zoom would be better for Wildlife photography, enabling you to position the drone a safe and less intrusive distance away from the subjects and then zoom in for a closer shot than what would be possible using the Pro.

Reactions: ff22
I put her in the tripod mode and stalked some turkeys in a field. Zoomed in all the way. They did not like the drone were OK with it. Then I zoomed out and tried to fill the screen like at 48mm and they didn’t like that. Definitely a plus the zoom and if 1080 u can do 4x

Reactions: deleted member 877
PRO sensor is only good when you plan night shots,then it will prevail over ZOOM.
Or if you plan make big printouts.
But 90% of your audience will not differ if shot is made by Z or Pro.....i´ll bet my hat....

While the Mavic 2 Pro does have better high iso, the far bigger benefit is the much better dynamic range which is useful as the type of shot a drone takes will usually have a bright sky and a dark ground. With a 1/2.3in sensor there's very little latitude to recover much afterwards but with the larger 1in sensor in the Mavic 2 Pro, you can recover a huge amount of details in the highlights and the shadow, for example:

MP2_Compared-L.png

The image on the left is straight out of camera, the one on the left with the shadows and highlights pulled back, anyone seeing those two photos could not only see the difference but also see the one on the right is much better. The Zoom is capable of image stacking to improve the dynamic range but aside from that giving mixed results particularly over a large scene, the Pro is also capable of the same to widen its dynamic range further.

I'm not saying the zoom should not be purchased as it offers its own advantages as well but I keep seeing people incorrectly saying there's almost no difference in IQ between the Zoom and the pro apart from low light which is very wrong. Certainly for those who do not post process the raw files they're not going to see much difference between the pro and the zoom but for those that do and likely used to working with larger sensors, there is a big difference between the two.

Reactions: deleted member 877
See this: Review: DJI Mavic 2 Zoom and Pro drones present an agonizing choice
I still prefer the ZOOM anytime. The PRO is just hype. People are saying it is better because of the higher price
The photos are great in the Zoom. The Videos are great in the Zoom. I dont see that difference.
I can colorgrade the videos on the Zoom as much as with the mavic 2 Pro and both look great. Dont see that much difference, only the price.

The Pro is not just 'hype', its 1in sensor is far larger than the 1/2.3in sensor in the Zoom and capable of much better image quality. There is far more flexibility to work with the the raw files from the Pro than there are the Zoom as it is whenever you have a much bigger sensor.

The Zoom certainly offers it own advantages and for those that want to work straight out of the camera without post processing the files will not see much improvement with the Pro. However it's flat out wrong to claim there is no difference between the two and it's just 'hype' for the Pro.

The Pro is not just 'hype', its 1in sensor is far larger than the 1/2.3in sensor in the Zoom and capable of much better image quality. There is far more flexibility to work with the the raw files from the Pro than there are the Zoom as it is whenever you have a much bigger sensor.

The Zoom certainly offers it own advantages and for those that want to work straight out of the camera without post processing the files will not see much improvement with the Pro. However it's flat out wrong to claim there is no difference between the two and it's just 'hype' for the Pro.

sure, but I still get great photos on the Zoom. As good as on the M2Pro. I have both.
Here is a M2Zoom superresolution feature photo taken a few days.

Attachments

• PanoramicaC1.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 44
  • Vale_das_flores_2.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Incredibly helpful narration for deciding 2 Pro v 2 Zoom. Thanks [emoji106]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads