DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Soldering Motor Leads to Board or Cut And Splice Wires?

NJGlover

Reactions
Sorry if this has been covered, but after a crash I need to replace the rear motor arm mounts on my Mavic Pro 1. This requires de-soldering and re-soldering the motor leads on the board. I have done a fair bit of electronics soldering, but I wonder if it's safer to cut the wires and re-solder them (with shrink wrap of course). Just wondering if anyone has taken this approach to avoid disturbing the solder joints on the board. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Reactions: old man mavic
@NJGlover the issue you have is that the arm joints are part of the arms and in order to remove the arms you have to remove the the wires with the arms as there is only enough room for the wires to go through the swivel part of the fixture and then they go straight to the ESC board and there is not enough wire length to be able to fit shrink wrap and keep it from shrinking due to the heat that will be conducted as you try to join the wires

to get a really good join you need to make sure as much as possible of the original solder is removed and use a suction device to do this use a good solder and tin the wire first ,apply a dab of flux paste to the wire and then in one smooth movement make contact with the board and keep the soldering iron on till the solder has melted and bonded ,applying more solder as the process takes place,the most important thing is having a clean joint and the tip of the iron needs to be clean as well ,if you have an old electronics board from some damaged device to practice on first you will be able to get a good joint with some practice,the joint needs to be good because the drone will obviously come crashing down if it fails , so unless you have the equipment and skills to produce a secure joint ,then it would be better to get someone with those skills to do it for you

Reactions: rp6
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan