DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some Clarity in the Video Zoom :

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
I might be able to see the pizza delivery guy if he gets lost delivering my pizza.

So here is how the zoom works: I have to admit , its not Zoom for Pictures but I am still excited for all the possible uses such as chasing the Lightning and I think the zoom will be a blast. I am also very excited to see how close I can pull the Cleveland Land scape to my camera. That for me will be amazing.

Gear to fly in the Rain.
Phantomrain.org

Compliments of IPHONEDO youtube channel.
2021-11-05_04h15_39.png

2021-11-05_04h16_12.png

2021-11-05_04h16_54.png

2021-11-05_04h17_12.png

2021-11-05_04h35_21.png

The same poor results can be achieved in post processing. Digital zooms provide no new digital information, they simply crop the existing pixels into a smaller frame, reducing the pixel density of the new image, with resulting reduction in image resolution.

Ohhhhh I thought the 7 looked really good , can any of the video be modified similar to what we do in Light room for video. ? Does that exist as I just know how to color grade with Luts and such. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , Capture the Storm

No there is no Zoom in the Picture , very sad and that leaves room for the sales of the Inspire 2 which many will be looking at with this release Many said for 7 grand you can set up nicely with the Inspire 2 and a camera. I think the better Camera and the Larger Video Frame will work well for pictures , but the zoom feature is huge Let down. Crying last night. 😓

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm.

I wrote this in another thread but it seems like it may be useful here:

The drone has has two fixed focal length lenses, the main camera is a 24mm (equivalent) lens on the 4/3 sensor. The second camera has a fixed focal length of 162mm and a fixed aperture of F4.4. The drone has no optical zooming capability whatsoever.

Each camera can simply crop it's image 4X so after the main 24mm (equivalent) camera has cropped in 4X, it switches to the 162mm (equivalent) lens uncropped, and then beyond that is starts cropping the 162mm camera's image up to a maximum of 4X as well. As expected, neither camera can defy physics and those modes make it look like they were shot on a flip phone from 1996. You can also achieve an identical effect in post. Using the telephoto camera as an example, the reason it looks so bad is you are taking 4K resolution at 162mm and throwing away pixels until it looks like ~650mm, or the rough equivalent of ~0.5 megapixels (4K is ~8MP).

The 162mm telephoto lens is limited to 4K30P (not even 24P), auto exposure only, and no Dlog. It's also a fixed aperture of F4.4, which is not even a selectable aperture on the main camera, making simultaneous use annoying from an exposure perspective. Seems like a total gimmick or afterthought, at least on current firmware.

Digital cropping of any kind (photo or video) is better to do in post anyway, where you have a lot more flexibility and far more processing power for any enhancements or up-resing you want to do after the fact.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu