DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Something Different - Using the Drone as a Dolly

In television and movies, it's usually easy to spot the higher altitude drone shots, and there are quite a lot of them in recent releases. I've been wondering how often drones are used in dolly shots like yours. It's certainly simpler that setting up those rail or boom systems.

Reactions: dozzn and Big Bro
I see a lot of aerial footage posted, but not as much ground level footage where the drone is used as a dolly.
I agree.

I think a lot of folks who fly, try to think like a 'Drone Pilot' first and foremost; and instantly plan to shoot in a manner that is high altitude and looking down (way up in the sky) or very far away, but this is extremely limiting in my estimation.

When one starts thinking like videographer or cameraman and lets the subject drives the shots, then the whole world of creativity opens up.

I did the dolly moves in some of my videos. The one at Whalley Abbey springs to mind, and also at Cuerden Valley Lake.

It's a good move to make.

Paul.

Reactions: Big Bro
I see a lot of aerial footage posted, but not as much ground level footage where the drone is used as a dolly. I love using the Air2 S this way for real estate shots. This is from the Cameron Art Museum in Wilmington, NC.

Very nicely done, Big Bro, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: kalimah and Big Bro
Usual beautiful blue skies there! Yes I am with you on this. We all want to get up to 400’ as quickly as possible and shoot away and there at ground level are some great angles. Well raised.

Really great job on the video.
As for how often it's being done in TV and Movies, I would say quite a bit. I forget the show but just the other day I was watching a show and they had a really long stretch where the camera was following alongside a vehicle at car door height. I would bet they didn't lay a few miles of track to get that shot.

As I was entering this, I saw the LifeLine ad. Using something like that you would be able to really get some long dolly shots including any retakes you might want to do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman