DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Soon to be New Tennessee Drone Law

The state’s Fiscal Review Committee suggested the bill’s fiscal impact would be “not significant” because of an expected insignificant number of prosecutions. There have been “zero state court convictions” under the misdemeanor statute during the past five years, the committee noted.

Good thing they made they up'ed the penalty... what with all of the illegal flights already.

“It’s good policy and will make our state safer — at least that’s the objective,” Lundberg said in a text message.

Intent... but actual result will be different.

The bill, which passed unanimously in the state Senate and had only had one dissenting vote in the House, appears to have been written for Kingsport-based Eastman and other Tennessee companies concerned about unmanned aircraft hovering over their facilities.

Big bucks will get you your own laws. It will even prevent photos from being taken of your property. Ironic for a company that had its start making photos.

I find it difficult to believe that Eastman is "critical infrastructure." They make disposable plastic drink cups.

This is like laws prohibiting drones over livestock lots. It's really about protecting companies from activists catching them breaking environmental and other regulations.

I find it difficult to believe that Eastman is "critical infrastructure."
I agree. Reason for the law... Eastman employees a lot of people and they pay a lot of taxes. Money does buy laws.

Even the law makers pretty much admitted to this. No one has broken the existing drone law with the lower penalty. Why should they think increasing the penalty will do any more.

Uping the penalty for flying in areas most any responsible drone owner would not fly without permission. Felony for violation, getting serious.

Drone bill passes in Tennessee Legislature
I sure hope the legislation applies to ALL aircraft and not just drones. If we are creating rules for aircraft, they should apply to everyone, not just a "special class."

I sure hope the legislation applies to ALL aircraft and not just drones. If we are creating rules for aircraft, they should apply to everyone, not just a "special class."
Just my opinion small plane pilots are not the risk takers that drone pilots are. As a photographer there is so much I want to photograph or video I truly don’t know how long I can stay within the law. It sure would be nice to have a few days each year that drones could fly in the state and national parks. I was in downtown Nashville, TN last Wednesday evening shooting street photography and look up there is a drone all over the place near building flying over people and streets with cars and people and almost dark. I am sure he was wanting some light trails and cool shots no one else
has.
C35B6AE8-A36D-4024-A4AF-2E0898C8DB66.jpeg

Reactions: bronze661
seems like in the future drones will be banned, here in canada can't fly here can't fly there , everywhere you want to be able to fly your drone, seems like country's are intent on killing the hobby, most of us fly with with common sense, i wish these lawmakers would understand this.

Reactions: RogerMav
seems like in the future drones will be banned, here in canada can't fly here can't fly there , everywhere you want to be able to fly your drone, seems like country's are intent on killing the hobby, most of us fly with with common sense, i wish these lawmakers would understand this.
Here in the USA Our laws are because of actions of minority that could care less about law of the land but cover majority of law abiding citizens sad state of affairs indeed

Here in the USA Our laws are because of actions of minority that could care less about law of the land but cover majority of law abiding citizens sad state of affairs indeed
That's sort of how laws work everywhere. The majority of people in any country aren't thieves, rapists, murders or tax cheats.

What is the definition of critical infrastructure? (Does it really make plastic cups????)
Also I thought only the FAA controlled the air space. Cities can prohibit take off, control of or landing of a drone in a city park but not flying over it - correct? How does this allign with the FAA?
Seems simpler for the interested parties to just get a NFZ similiar to prisons, etc. No need for a state law. Not arguing the law just trying to understand it.

....Also I thought only the FAA controlled the air space. Cities can prohibit take off, control of or landing of a drone in a city park but not flying over it - correct? How does this allign with the FAA?............

I'm of the same opinion. I'd love it if the FAA stepped in and repeated what they have been saying all along, which is that only the FAA can regulate the airspace. However, I'm guessing that right now the FAA has WAY bigger issues to address then fighting a local drone ordinance.

We'll see if someone challenges it in court.

Peter T

I just listed agree, the law is not lawful as per the FAA.. maybe someone should notify Governor Lea and fill him in that they are about to pass an illegal law. Maybe, he would veto it

Reactions: dawgpilot
Making someone a felon without actually showing some actual harm occurred is an all-too-common but still terrifying development. Tennessee should be ashamed of themselves.

Reactions: JakeRobinson
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661