DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

South TC Suburbs and Flight

Hendu

Reactions
Hello everyone, I am very new and without a drone at the moment. I had originally flown a few toy drones starting 6-7 years ago but nothing lately. Those were nothing like what is out now for similar pricing (my parrot AR wasn’t much cheaper than the mini). It seems like getting back in now with something nicer could be amazing and relaxing, especially with the cameras and range.

I keep getting millimeters from the buy button on a MA2, but I live in the southern Twin Cities suburbs with a no flight of model planes ordinance in our city parks (calling Monday for clarification), it’s basically solid orange on AirMap for miles on miles largely due to airports everywhere, and concerns that it will only get harder to fly within regulation.

I can basically throw a stone in any direction and hit a park or lake, which if the city says it’s ok I have no problem jumping back in. Being able to take a small walk and have flight makes it a daily option. Having to drive to fly restricts it a bit depending where I would need to go.

I am very curious what everyone else does in the metro area, if there are reliable areas that aren’t far, and if there is any other general MN advice.

Hello everyone, I am very new and without a drone at the moment. I had originally flown a few toy drones starting 6-7 years ago but nothing lately. Those were nothing like what is out now for similar pricing (my parrot AR wasn’t much cheaper than the mini). It seems like getting back in now with something nicer could be amazing and relaxing, especially with the cameras and range.

I keep getting millimeters from the buy button on a MA2, but I live in the southern Twin Cities suburbs with a no flight of model planes ordinance in our city parks (calling Monday for clarification), it’s basically solid orange on AirMap for miles on miles largely due to airports everywhere, and concerns that it will only get harder to fly within regulation.

I can basically throw a stone in any direction and hit a park or lake, which if the city says it’s ok I have no problem jumping back in. Being able to take a small walk and have flight makes it a daily option. Having to drive to fly restricts it a bit depending where I would need to go.

I am very curious what everyone else does in the metro area, if there are reliable areas that aren’t far, and if there is any other general MN advice.
just saw your post here, I live in Minneapolis and I fly all over there’s lots of places to fly I have no trouble flying in parks I just go there at quiet hours can you can usually get a whole section of the park to yourself
There’s no better time to get a drone and that would be a great drone

I am in 3 no-fly zones myself but have been pleasantly surprised that a short distance away I get authorization and in some places can fly freely in parks. Do dry runs at home on Airmap and see if you get the go ahead. then go fly.

Just getting started myself... have the MA2 and so far I’m very happy with the purchase. Not doing much more than flying around in the back yard getting comfortable with the features and controls. I suspect that I can get out into the country and check out some of the local farms, valleys, rivers and such. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: marnat3
Hi, new MA2 pilot here too. Just got it a few days ago and took it up on its maiden flight at a park where I normally fly my other drones, East Lake Community Park. I've checked the City of Lakeville's website and can't find any city codes specifically prohibiting quads or other R/C aircraft in their city parks. AirMap and B4UFLY show that park to be in clear.

Looks like tomorrow will be a good fly day. Low winds partly sunny and above 32 by noon. Going to do some test flights and figure out the features on the ma2. I’m a novice, so I’ll find a place that I’m comfortable. Good luck in Lakeville!

Reactions: screwthepap
My plan is to be at East Lake CP at a little before 2 pm tomorrow. According to the latest WX forecast, the temperature is supposed to peak at 38° at around 2 pm.

Nice pano. Wanted to get out today too but life got in the way.
Thanks!

The highs are supposed to be in the lower 30s in the upcoming week. Are you planning on heading out to fly sometime then? I have a good friend who was given a Holy Stone HS720E quad for Christmas and he's itching to fly it, so we're planning on going to the field sometime during the week.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr