DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Spain's Thousand Years Old Castles and Fortresses

DiscoverSpain

Reactions
Site
discoverspainvideo.wordpress.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In the words of King Alfonso X the Wise, "Spain is secure and battered with castles," a statement rooted in the seven centuries of intense struggles during the Reconquista. This period, spanning from 711 until the fall of the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada in 1492, left behind a vast number of castles and fortresses across the Iberian Peninsula.

The approximate figure of 20,000 castles in Spain attests to the significance of these constructions throughout history. Although some have not withstood the test of time, there are still enough well-preserved examples to delve into the rich history of these fortifications—true emblems of the Middle Ages, as reflected by the Spanish Association of Friends of Castles with its inventory of 10,300 castles.

The first castles, dating from the 9th century in the Early Middle Ages, were primarily erected to provide a defensive enclosure amid intense territorial conflicts. Unlike fortresses in other regions of Europe, Spanish castles were not merely palaces but defensive and military structures, showcasing a variety of styles reflecting different periods, from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance.

Strategically located on prominent heights, the castles controlled the territory and offered protection against potential enemy attacks. Their design typically included moats and fortified outer barriers, with towering walls crowned with battlements and machicolations. The gates, considered the weakest points, were equipped with protective systems, while cisterns ensured the water supply during sieges. At the heart of the castle stood the Keep, the residence of the lord of the castle.

To be considered a true "castle," the structure needed to have a walled enclosure adapted to the terrain, a habitable tower, and a courtyard. This definition mainly applies to Christian castles, while Muslim castles lacked a Keep, and the alcazabas (fortified citadels) evolved into true city-fortresses with multiple towers and interconnected buildings. Thus, each castle tells a unique story, reflecting the complex and fascinating history of Spain through the centuries.

In the video, in order of appearance:

1. Zahara de la Sierra, Cádiz: strategically located, this castle dominates the landscape with its imposing walls, serving as an outstanding example of military architecture in the region.
  2. Avila Walls: considered one of the best-preserved in Europe, offering a unique glimpse into the Middle Ages and the defensive skills of the time.
  3. Castle of Arcos de la Frontera, Cádiz: rises as a historic stronghold on the frontier, revealing the strategic importance of fortresses in the defense of the territory.
  4. Castle of Buitrago del Lozoya, Madrid.
  5. City of Besalú, Gerona: though not a castle itself, Besalú presents an exceptional medieval architectural ensemble with its fortified bridge.
  6. Castle of Albarracín and walls, Albacete: offer a unique view of medieval life in the region.
  7. Castle of Alarcón and walls, Cuenca.
  8. Castle of Atienza, Guadalajara.
  9. Castle of Peñafiel, Valladolid.
  10. Castle of La Yedra in Cazorla, Jaén: represents a medieval fortress nestled within the natural beauty of Cazorla, a testament to the blend of history and landscape.
  11. Castle of Belmonte, Cuenca.
  12. Alcazar of Segovia.
  13. Castle of Peracense, Teruel.
  14. Castle of La Mota in Medina del Campo, Valladolid.
  15. Castle of Calatrava la Nueva in Aldea del Rey, Ciudad Real: stands as a symbol of the Order of Calatrava, showcasing defensive architecture and its strategic importance in the region.
  16. Castle of Sancti Petri in San Fernando, Cádiz: located on an island off the coast, notable for its unique position and connection to the region's naval history.
  17. Castle of Montalbán in San Martín de Montalbán, Toledo: dominates the Toledan plain, representing an impressive example of military architecture with its towers and walls evoking bygone eras.
  18. Castle of Consuegra, Toledo.
  19. Castle of Cuéllar or Castle of the Dukes of Alburquerque, Segovia.
  20. Castle of Pedraza and walls, Segovia.
  21. Castle of Escalona, Toledo.
  22. Castle of Almonacid, Toledo.
  23. Castle of Caracena, Soria.
  24. Castle of the Counts of Benavente in Puebla de Sanabria, Zamora.
  25. Castle of Olvera, Cádiz.
  26. Alcazar of Toledo.
  27. Castle of San Servando in the city of Toledo.
  28. Monastery of Uclés, Cuenca.
  29. Castle of Puñoenrostro in Seseña, Toledo.
  30. Castle of Salvatierra in Cazorla, Jaén.
  31. Castle of Palazuelos, Guadalajara.
  32. Castle of Trujillo, Cáceres.
  33. Remains of Rupit Castle, Barcelona: though only ruins remain, it evokes a sense of mystery and nostalgia, reminding us of the rich history of the Catalan region.

Fantastic video! Beautiful scenes, well flown, and well put together! Bravo!

Fantastic video! Beautiful scenes, well flown, and well put together! Bravo!
Thank you! I'm glad you found the collection impressive. Spain's rich history and its vast array of castles truly offer so much to explore. Each one has a unique story to tell, and I'm happy to have been able to showcase some of them in this video. Appreciate your support!

The video is exquisite and truly charming like I had never seen before, well done!
Thank you so much for your wonderful comment! I'm thrilled that you found the video charming and unique. It means a lot to hear such kind word, really glad you enjoyed it!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In the words of King Alfonso X the Wise, "Spain is secure and battered with castles," a statement rooted in the seven centuries of intense struggles during the Reconquista. This period, spanning from 711 until the fall of the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada in 1492, left behind a vast number of castles and fortresses across the Iberian Peninsula.

The approximate figure of 20,000 castles in Spain attests to the significance of these constructions throughout history. Although some have not withstood the test of time, there are still enough well-preserved examples to delve into the rich history of these fortifications—true emblems of the Middle Ages, as reflected by the Spanish Association of Friends of Castles with its inventory of 10,300 castles.

The first castles, dating from the 9th century in the Early Middle Ages, were primarily erected to provide a defensive enclosure amid intense territorial conflicts. Unlike fortresses in other regions of Europe, Spanish castles were not merely palaces but defensive and military structures, showcasing a variety of styles reflecting different periods, from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance.

Strategically located on prominent heights, the castles controlled the territory and offered protection against potential enemy attacks. Their design typically included moats and fortified outer barriers, with towering walls crowned with battlements and machicolations. The gates, considered the weakest points, were equipped with protective systems, while cisterns ensured the water supply during sieges. At the heart of the castle stood the Keep, the residence of the lord of the castle.

To be considered a true "castle," the structure needed to have a walled enclosure adapted to the terrain, a habitable tower, and a courtyard. This definition mainly applies to Christian castles, while Muslim castles lacked a Keep, and the alcazabas (fortified citadels) evolved into true city-fortresses with multiple towers and interconnected buildings. Thus, each castle tells a unique story, reflecting the complex and fascinating history of Spain through the centuries.

In the video, in order of appearance:

1. Zahara de la Sierra, Cádiz: strategically located, this castle dominates the landscape with its imposing walls, serving as an outstanding example of military architecture in the region.
  2. Avila Walls: considered one of the best-preserved in Europe, offering a unique glimpse into the Middle Ages and the defensive skills of the time.
  3. Castle of Arcos de la Frontera, Cádiz: rises as a historic stronghold on the frontier, revealing the strategic importance of fortresses in the defense of the territory.
  4. Castle of Buitrago del Lozoya, Madrid.
  5. City of Besalú, Gerona: though not a castle itself, Besalú presents an exceptional medieval architectural ensemble with its fortified bridge.
  6. Castle of Albarracín and walls, Albacete: offer a unique view of medieval life in the region.
  7. Castle of Alarcón and walls, Cuenca.
  8. Castle of Atienza, Guadalajara.
  9. Castle of Peñafiel, Valladolid.
  10. Castle of La Yedra in Cazorla, Jaén: represents a medieval fortress nestled within the natural beauty of Cazorla, a testament to the blend of history and landscape.
  11. Castle of Belmonte, Cuenca.
  12. Alcazar of Segovia.
  13. Castle of Peracense, Teruel.
  14. Castle of La Mota in Medina del Campo, Valladolid.
  15. Castle of Calatrava la Nueva in Aldea del Rey, Ciudad Real: stands as a symbol of the Order of Calatrava, showcasing defensive architecture and its strategic importance in the region.
  16. Castle of Sancti Petri in San Fernando, Cádiz: located on an island off the coast, notable for its unique position and connection to the region's naval history.
  17. Castle of Montalbán in San Martín de Montalbán, Toledo: dominates the Toledan plain, representing an impressive example of military architecture with its towers and walls evoking bygone eras.
  18. Castle of Consuegra, Toledo.
  19. Castle of Cuéllar or Castle of the Dukes of Alburquerque, Segovia.
  20. Castle of Pedraza and walls, Segovia.
  21. Castle of Escalona, Toledo.
  22. Castle of Almonacid, Toledo.
  23. Castle of Caracena, Soria.
  24. Castle of the Counts of Benavente in Puebla de Sanabria, Zamora.
  25. Castle of Olvera, Cádiz.
  26. Alcazar of Toledo.
  27. Castle of San Servando in the city of Toledo.
  28. Monastery of Uclés, Cuenca.
  29. Castle of Puñoenrostro in Seseña, Toledo.
  30. Castle of Salvatierra in Cazorla, Jaén.
  31. Castle of Palazuelos, Guadalajara.
  32. Castle of Trujillo, Cáceres.
  33. Remains of Rupit Castle, Barcelona: though only ruins remain, it evokes a sense of mystery and nostalgia, reminding us of the rich history of the Catalan region.
Great video thanks for sharing would love to know how you timed the clips and music so well and punchy

Reactions: DiscoverSpain
Splendid!
How many (hundreds) of hours went into filming and then editing this massive work of art?

And Spanish airspace can be complex at times and in places, how did you go about navigating through it all?

Beautiful place, nice flying, but the transitions near the end were a bit jarring.
Yes, I agree with you, but I wanted to match the rhythm of the music with the images throughout the entire video.

Since it was recorded and edited at 29.9 fps, and the beats at the end of the song are very fast, it’s impossible to sync the beat of the music with the image change (it falls between two frames), which is why it looks jarring: one frame is too early in relation to the beat of the music, and the next one is too late.

Thank you for the feedback! I’m glad you enjoyed the footage and flying.

Great video thanks for sharing would love to know how you timed the clips and music so well and punchy
I'm not sure if this will help, but I'll try to explain how I do it:

• Once I've chosen the song, I listen to it in full and decide where I’ll make the cuts: to which beat, instrument change, etc.
  • With the song on the timeline, I listen to it and place markers at the points where I want to change the image/scene.

As for the images/clips:

• I start watching everything I’ve recorded and begin cutting/sorting the clips I’ll use in the video. For example, if the video is about a castle:
    • Panoramic shot of the entire castle
    • Detail of the keep
    • The walls
    • Close-up shots
    • ……
Next, considering the number of clips I think are good and the number of scenes that need to be placed on the timeline, I think about how to develop the video.

From there, I start placing scenes on the timeline. If they’re too long, I use two beats of the song instead of one, and most importantly, I watch the video many times to see if it's coming together well or not.

Splendid!
How many (hundreds) of hours went into filming and then editing this massive work of art?
Well, I don't really know, because filming all those castles to make a single video was not intentional. I just felt like shooting castles and one day I asked myself why don't I make a video with many castles?

About editing, for me it's a hobby so I don't have problems to dedicate many hours to it but don't think it's so many: as you edit more and more, you acquire the capacity to do it much faster.

And Spanish airspace can be complex at times and in places, how did you go about navigating through it all?
The video is old and the footage is much older. At the time it was shot, drone regulations in Spain were more lax, which means that in places where permits are required today, it was possible to fly without any permits at all. When permits were needed, they were requested and obtained. I can't tell you how much time was spent because a friend did it on my behalf.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr