DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spare M2Z / RC Disconnects

MrChris

Reactions
I've had my M2P for a while and like others wanted a cheap(er) solution to getting the Zoom camera to go with my Pro than buying a complete Zoom.
While I was comfortable changing the gimbal/camera, I'd thought I'd try to find a body/camera together and just pair as needed with my existing remote and use my existing batteries or get a camera/gimbal and try and find a crash repair unit without a camera.

Stumbled onto a Zoom for sale. Listing stated that it was "disconnecting" during flight. My hope was it was a controller to phone disconnect either because of a phone issue or just a cable as that is pretty common. I got the complete aircraft as out of the box (rc, battery, etc), fly more kit, large set of ND and polarizer filters and other assorted extras plus something like 20 sets of spare props. All for a very good price and not much more than just a camera and gimbal. So given everything that was in it, I'm money ahead even with a dead RC.

But if I can get the RC working, that would be a bonus and either sell it off to make this an even cheaper endeavour or have 2RC's and not worry about relinking each time I switch aircraft.

Thankfully the aircraft works just fine with my original RC from my Pro. Put 2 full batteries through the bird yesterday with no disconnects and strong signal the entire time.

With the RC that came with the Zoom however, it will link to the aircraft and be "ready to fly" for a moment or two at a time, usually not more than 5 seconds or so.

RC signal strength never shows any bars, and is usually doing the scrolling "searching" pattern. Just to be clear it is not getting signal between the aircraft and RC, NOT an issue between the RC and the mobile device. And this is with the RC and aircraft sitting inches apart on my desk.

I did the "reset" with the c1-c2-shutter button and relinked it with the aircraft several times. No luck.

Given there were some unknowns, I didn't do any "range testing" with the aircraft and my known good RC. I did go up to about 200 feet and roughly 200 feet down the street and back. No issues, always had full signal bars. Outside of a compass calibration, which was expected as it was shipped from quite a distance, the aircraft checks out.

But I'd expect the bad RC, even if it was something like damaged antenna leads inside the case, to still get a signal when they are inches apart? So I'm guessing this problem RC is likely done for and just trash or maybe spare parts (screen, joystick posts, battery) but not much more.

I thought I'd ask here anyway before writing it off. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe it's repairable, who knows. But if anyone has any thoughts?

Well for what it's worth, I decided to dig in and see if I could find anything wrong. Couldn't find a tear-down video of the Mavic 2 controller but did find several of the original Mavic Pro and that was close enough to get into it.

Did not find anything really wrong, and it didn't look like there was any liquid damage inside so it would not have appeared to be anything like that. Reseated both antenna connectors onto the main board, neither looked loose but seemed like a good place to start. the left antenna has a longer wire that goes under the screen assembly and connects just behind the right antenna connector making it pretty easy. Reassembled and tested and just had a successful 20 minute flight with no issues at all.

I'll try it a couple more times to make sure. But apparently it was nothing more than that. I don't know enough to know if it was always like this, and they didn't want to deal with the warranty, if they dropped it and it was just loose enough that it wasn't making good contact. I do know it came from a humid climate so maybe a hint of corrosion and reseating things was enough? Beats me.

Like I said with a working aircraft and a fly more kit I was in good shape without a working controller so this is just a bonus.

Like I said with a working aircraft and a fly more kit I was in good shape without a working controller so this is just a bonus.

Good on you for figuring that out yourself!

I have ended up with two RCs, as well, with one being the older RC1A model of remote controller. My understanding is that the RC1A is sought after by owners of the Epson Moveria FPV glasses, since the newer RC1B models don’t work with the glasses.

If one of yours happens to be the RC1A, maybe make a couple hundred dollars online. You probably won’t be flying your two M2s simultaneously anyway.

It’s really good to know that a little tinkering got the job done in this case!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom