DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Speaking of flyaways and high wind issues.

shorttimer

Reactions
Here is a question for the physics sages out there.

We know that if you get caught into high winds it is best to get as low as possible and even into sport mode as RTH will keep it in P mode. I know you can increase your speed by full forward and descending (think of diving the drone) but you can only descend so far.

I am pretty sure this won't help but wanted to make certain. Would it help when facing a strong wind, (say you are only progressing at about 1-2MPH) if you would tack the drone like you would a sailboat? Assuming you are heading straight into the wind would this maneuver help, make progress better or worse? Just wondering about this after reading of so many minis that are getting caught up in the wind.

Again, I don't think it would work but just wanted to know a reason why.

No, tacking won't help, it will make matters worse as it significantly increases the distance g flown to make headway while increasing the time the drone will be exposed to the strong winds. What you need to do is get as low as possible, but don't do so "in place". Rather push right stick to full forward, watch speed while pushing left stick down. As long as you are making good headway, modulate the descent, especially if battery is low, as this way you can convert some of the altitude into forward movement. However, if you are still going backwards, increase descent rate but continue to hold forward stick to minimize blowing backward.

It's important to understand how tacking works. A sailboat is essentially moving in two different media - a moving wind field that pushes on the sails, and an approximately stationary water that pushes on the keel. Tacking works because the sailboat keel resists sideways motion - it's essentially constrained to move forwards relative to the water. As a result, if you want to make progress into the wind you can point the boat at an angle (greater than less than 90°) to the desired direction of travel and the resolved force on the sail will push it forwards along that heading, thus making progress upwind.

An aircraft, in contrast, moves in just one medium - the wind field - and it has nothing equivalent to a keel to be able to push sideways against and keep it moving in the direction it is facing. An aircraft attempting to tack is simply blown sideways in the direction the wind is blowing.

I can row a boat at 4 mph. The current against me is running 6 mph. Would rowing back and forth across the current help?

Reactions: Capt KO
If you find yourself stuck in a high wind situation, you can descend closer to the surface where the winds will be lighter than up high. Then make your way back home, and ascend if need be to get over any obstacles on your way back. It's always a good idea to get your downwind flight areas out of the way on a full battery, instead of the other way around :)

There is one significant problem remaining when descending, the risk for connection loss is increasing, with the Mavic issuing a RTH and automatically ascending to RTH altitude, so back into the strong winds.
I still have no solution for that situation.

Last edited:
There is one significant problem remaining when descending, the risk for connection loss is increasing, with the Mavic issuing a RTH and automatically ascending to RTH altitude, so back into the strong winds.
I still have no solution for that situation.
I saw a video (on here I think) and if in that situation (and you have time) mark a new home point where the drone is and in a place you can get to and if you do lose connection you may have a better chance of finding the drone if it had to RTH but can't make it back to you. Better than nothing I guess...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada