DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Spectacular Rocky Mountain Drone Adventure, you won't be disappointed!

Karlewski

Reactions
I spent last summer climbing many technical scrambling routes up the high peaks of Colorado. This video is a small portion of those adventures in the Ten Mile Range, the Mountain range that contains Breckenridge Ski resort. My channel is a large collection of these trips all over Colorado documented with many cameras highlighting and explaining some seriously intense and breathtaking adventures!

This is the first video that I’ve ever watched on my 65” 4K television. It was well worth the watch. Thanks for posting.

Wow, what stunning visuals. How long did it take you to reach the summit?

Arrrgghh spectacular but you change shots far too quickly for my taste, in some cases in the blink of an eye. Time to savour views would have been appreciated.
For these reasons I closed it 1/3 of the way through

I spent last summer climbing many technical scrambling routes up the high peaks of Colorado. This video is a small portion of those adventures in the Ten Mile Range, the Mountain range that contains Breckenridge Ski resort. My channel is a large collection of these trips all over Colorado documented with many cameras highlighting and explaining some seriously intense and breathtaking adventures!
Absolutely stunning!

Reactions: mrjohnc1
Fantastic. Especially liked how you synced it with the music. I usually can't make it through a 4.5 minute video but I did with yours,

Thank you my friends for all of the support and criticism, really helpful. I want to continue to improve and I plan on sharing more of my findings. I have already written one article about shooting tough mountain landscapes and another about making the most of drone footage in post production/editing. I'll post a link to a new thread here shortly. I have gone full circle from long jerky flights with slow ambiance music to fast twitch action sequences like the one here. I think I went a bit too far honestly and appreciate the criticism confirming it. Still a bit too long though, I will go for around 3 minutes next time. I used this song as a challenge to see if I could make it work and, as I hope you can see, my style has actually evolved during this editing process. I am most pleased with the second half.
I know many of you have much experience and insight to offer, fire away!!! I would love to get input on anything that stands out. One unique place is music. What free song, no copywrite/royalty music I can use for my next edit. Something fast and slow would be an awesome challenge! Please share your favorites and a few best selections will be a big part of my next project, around 2-4 minutes but super cool is the only hard criteria. I have TONS more drone footage from other mountain ranges I have recently climbed and will be editing it over the holidays with this music all over my channel if you want ideas from me. I would love to get your feedback before starting and share my learning along the way.
My current music favorites are all over my videos on my channel, the channel trailer having 2 of my favorites.

This is a compilation of several climbs that took from 2 hours, easy steep trail from 11,500' to 13,800' to long rough unroped class 5 (technical rock climbing) ridge traverse that took all day and all the skill, guts and energy I had, ran out of water on that one too, ouch.

My bio
I began my journey as an adventure film maker about 18 months ago with a gopro 7, I phone, and Mavic 2 zoom. The drone HUGELY reignited my mountaineering career of 40 years and helped me realize how the last 20 years of aggressive rock climbing had opened many new doors. I was intimidated by the high peaks and did not realize how easily I could experience these awesome crazy places instead of just pulling plastic in a climbing gym. I must have climbed over 50, 000' vertical feet last summer and summited two dozen peaks over 13,000' on the most aggressive routes I could climb without a rope, one 14er with a rope . . . I am busting with energy at almost 50. . . birthday is next week. My channel videos are a view of my evolution as a film maker, generally improving with time. I am also very open to collaboration videos like the one I recently did with America's Parks, Fisher Towers. I'm excited guys, let's GO BIG!

Last edited:
Arrrgghh spectacular but you change shots far too quickly for my taste, in some cases in the blink of an eye. Time to savour views would have been appreciated.
For these reasons I closed it 1/3 of the way through
Here's one for you my friend! Not my best video but MANY great drone shots at the beginning and end, this mid portion has the longest drone sequence. We'll find the sweet spot!

I loved your video. Those shots definitely made me VERY jealous!!

My only critique is "synching" to the music. For whatever reason that is a huge turn off for me. In my mind I know the shot is going to potentially change on the next beat so I'm already thinking about the transition rather than the video itself. Doing a "video/Beat" synch now and again adds excitement but when it's done often it causes me to anticipate the transition and I loss interest in the video itself. It's probably something rare but it "irks" me highly.

If you have heard of Trent Palmer (bush pilot and UAS Professional, owner of CopterKids LLC) does some amazing edits in his stuff. He does occasionally "transition" with the music but it's more random.

It's a GREAT video and your edits are AWESOME!!

Keep up the good work and SAFE Flights :)
Allen

Beautiful area and great flying. I also am not a fan of quick photo changes, I want to enjoy the view and look around longer. You did give some of that and I can imagine the work that went into it. Nice job, and great climb.

I am in absolute AWE of this video! Firstly, you must be in tremendous physical condition to scramble up these precipitous heights! Secondly, the flying, editing, and scenery were fabulous. At 82, I am too old to do that stuff anymore. My last high altitude experience was in the year 2000 (age 62) when I ascended over a 9 day period, to 1000 feet higher than Everest Base Camp to 18,500 feet!. Base Camp is 17,500 ft. and I went to the Black Rock (Kalla Pattar) to overlook Base Camp and photograph Everest, Pumori, Amadablam, and other 14,000 footers. Here are a few memories. Wish I had a drone then! These images- Everest from Kalla Pattar (Lhotse on left and Nuptse on right) , Dale at Bodanath Temple Kathmandu,View of Everest with my sherpas.Everest and Base Camp,Khumbu Icefall Viveza lo rez.jpgEverest_39M_Dale_Bodanath_01.jpgLooking back at Everest Viveza lo rez.jpg

Wow Dale! You are prolific, cool shots! You've been higher than I ever have climbing, did come very close a couple times on a paraglider but, I was just sitting there . . . brings me to my next topic.
I will be building my next edit with the useful constructive criticism you all have shared, especially you Allen, BIGAI07, thank you. I checked out Trents stuff and definitely got some ideas on edits. When I was a competitive paraglider pilot my best friend was and is a commercial jet pilot, now more FAA liaison for Frontier and he is type rated and owns a few planes, like a bi-plane, bush . . .Asking him to join me for a YouTube video. He's got big balls too, lol I used to be a flying photographer, here he is as we banked hard opposite one another climbing in a narrow thermal. I have a shot of his wing collapsing at cloud base running out of inertia while tumbling backwards over his canopy. Assymetric SAT is the acro name for the maneuver he was attempting, was quite a moment.
I'm digging for music with a more varied tempo to meld with some long slower shots and to back off on complete beat synching but still have a few quick moves too. As I know I tried too hard to blend music beats with clip changes I was not completely pleased with my results either and I came up with these moves to help. To hold that beat, you have more options then just changing clips, you can initiate a post production added zoom/position, or coordinate an action in the footage itself with the beat, ie initiate a sharp yaw move with a beat. For me, I over did these moves a bit but, I think they are still appropriate used more sparingly . . . On the other side of the coin, I started out never cutting at all, just full twitchy uncut flights. Here's my best early effort with a drone in one of the most special places to me in the world, near Moab in castle valley, I've climbed all the towers in the video, Castelton, the coolest one, 4 times and one failed attempt when I was a rookie . . .

Attachments

• PG 56-2-06 Originals 144.jpeg
    PG 56-2-06 Originals 144.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Wow Dale! You are prolific, cool shots! You've been higher than I ever have climbing, did come very close a couple times on a paraglider but, I was just sitting there . . . brings me to my next topic.
I will be building my next edit with the useful constructive criticism you all have shared, especially you Allen, BIGAI07, thank you. I checked out Trents stuff and definitely got some ideas on edits. When I was a competitive paraglider pilot my best friend was and is a commercial jet pilot, now more FAA liaison for Frontier and he is type rated and owns a few planes, like a bi-plane, bush . . .Asking him to join me for a YouTube video. He's got big balls too, lol I used to be a flying photographer, here he is as we banked hard opposite one another climbing in a narrow thermal. I have a shot of his wing collapsing at cloud base running out of inertia while tumbling backwards over his canopy. Assymetric SAT is the acro name for the maneuver he was attempting, was quite a moment.
I'm digging for music with a more varied tempo to meld with some long slower shots and to back off on complete beat synching but still have a few quick moves too. As I know I tried too hard to blend music beats with clip changes I was not completely pleased with my results either and I came up with these moves to help. To hold that beat, you have more options then just changing clips, you can initiate a post production added zoom/position, or coordinate an action in the footage itself with the beat, ie initiate a sharp yaw move with a beat. For me, I over did these moves a bit but, I think they are still appropriate used more sparingly . . . On the other side of the coin, I started out never cutting at all, just full twitchy uncut flights. Here's my best early effort with a drone in one of the most special places to me in the world, near Moab in castle valley, I've climbed all the towers in the video, Castelton, the coolest one, 4 times and one failed attempt when I was a rookie . . .
That was totally awesome! In my wildest reams I would never have attempted to climb that, even at your age. But it's really great to see you and others do it. What a beautiful country we have here. Keep up that climbing spirit and the amazing videos. I'd be careful not to overdo the peripheral stuff like synching music beats, sound effects, etc. to distract from the actual footage, which, in your hands, is mind-blowing to me!

Dale

great footage and so fun to see my old stomping grounds again! sure miss it there and summiting all of those 14ers! i think you could have added a little more of breck, a-basin, summit county, etc. it would really add a little something, something to the video, overall. the video, as is, is stunning, but feels tad redundant. in any case, thanks for posting and keep it up! merry christmas.

Hi Karlewsky,
The editing and the flying are top notch, WOOW The mountail range is amazing, what a spectacular scenery ??
You must be 100% head for heights ?
Cheers Paul

Climbing is just another skill, more "Hollywood" to see than many sports is all and the desensitization to heights just a part of the training. Definitely takes a few years. Anyone who's trains for it can do it, the real key is balancing over your legs and letting them do as much of the work as possible. The hardest part is not letting fear freeze you in a tough scary spot. If you freeze you are just stuck there loosing energy till . . . bye bye. Even then, I can usually down climb, rest, and plan my next attack. The movement can be magical.

Climbing is just another skill, more "Hollywood" to see than many sports is all and the desensitization to heights just a part of the training. Definitely takes a few years. Anyone who's trains for it can do it, the real key is balancing over your legs and letting them do as much of the work as possible. The hardest part is not letting fear freeze you in a tough scary spot. If you freeze you are just stuck there loosing energy till . . . bye bye. Even then, I can usually down climb, rest, and plan my next attack. The movement can be magical.
Hi Karl,
that´s insane, you are really a skilled climber. I had goosebumps all the time when you were climbig the very steep rock! Wow, what an adventure, hats off ??
What camera do you use on your helmet...The one which has the fish eye effect ? Who made the drone shots?
thanks for sharing this suspenseful video!?

cheers Paul

Thanks Jack, these skills represent a lifetime of commitment doing what I love. I used the insta 360 R one, a 360 camera mounted on my helmet with an 8" extension, the stupidest looking thing ever, the "unicorn cam!" That camera angle makes the first sequence look steeper than it is BUT, the second sequence less steep, there are many over hangs on that descent. The drone shots were taken by me outside of the park upon my arrival that morning. Check this one out, I met my match climbing this GNARLY BEAST of a snowy ridge, mega hard core for me!
I'm making a special video right now of the most exposed ridge traverse I've ever done between to Colorado 14'000'ers, hope to share it soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots