DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Speed issues

Golfnut

Reactions
I've only had my Mavic for about a week. Flown is a couple of times in sports mode and according to the display it was over 50mph leaving me with the impression that there's nothing wrong with the quad. However, I can't get the speed over 8mph in normal mode. I have the latest firmware. The temperature is 80 degrees. I flew in 4 different directions on a very calm day. Speed max'd out at 8mph in all directions. Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?

Update: After the replies and went outside to check things again and do a more extensive test. Must have had a slight wind this time. 13mph max in 1 direction and 8mph in the other. In sport mode the speeds were 41mph and 32mph. I thought I'd try tap fly as I know there is a speed setting in that. The quad started off in the right direction but was bobbing and weaving as it went. A rather jerky motion and somewhat disturbing, so I stopped it. Also tested RTH which worked perfectly with the exception that even though the RTH altitude is set at 50m (162') it climbed to 210' before starting its descent. Not sure if all of these things are somehow related. With all that said, all of my flights have been flawless with the above exceptions.

OK. Pull the device and fly carefully with just the hand held controller. Notice any speed increase?

I'll try that in the morning. Dark now. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've used mostly android on mine & recording s-mode speeds at 60 & 62 mph. Pretty consistent, tried different directions & fully understand head & tail wind. Also confirmed imperial setting. Had some video feed issues so we used my daughters iPhone 6plus, same day same attitude & route, recording 40mph, which is more consistent with specs. By visual I thought it WAS traveling faster with the Android but really not sure. Switched devises several times and each stayed consistent. Anyone experience similar?

Update: Flew this morning incorporating the suggestions I have received. First, removing the phone and using the controller by itself yielded no change. However, when I disabled the front sensors, the quad flew at 30mph, not 8mph. Switched the front sensors on and off to confirm. It is definitely the front sensors causing the problem. Thanks to those who helped. May be a Mavic support issue at this point. I'm going to start another post with this specific issue.

Update: Flew this morning incorporating the suggestions I have received. First, removing the phone and using the controller by itself yielded no change. However, when I disabled the front sensors, the quad flew at 30mph, not 8mph. Switched the front sensors on and off to confirm. It is definitely the front sensors causing the problem. Thanks to those who helped. May be a Mavic support issue at this point. I'm going to start another post with this specific issue.
Great job troubleshooting...you surely covered all the variables.

I've only had my Mavic for about a week. Flown is a couple of times in sports mode and according to the display it was over 50mph leaving me with the impression that there's nothing wrong with the quad. However, I can't get the speed over 8mph in normal mode. I have the latest firmware. The temperature is 80 degrees. I flew in 4 different directions on a very calm day. Speed max'd out at 8mph in all directions. Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear