DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sport Mode is Sick!

Well, I'm not up to any really brave stuff yet, but I did decide to try sport mode today. Holy crap on a cracker....got it up to 43 MPH but the wind was behind me so it was moving :) The one thing I noticed was that once I switched over to sport mode, the video stopped recording and I never noticed it so I don't have and video of it screaming over the trees. Either that or I accidentally hit 'stop recording'. Either way it was awesome.

You're right: Sport mode is awesome!!

The closer you are to fixed objects, the greater the sensation of speed...but also the greater the risk of colliding with something. I've found that it does take a few seconds to accelerate from 0 to 43, which translates to a fairly long distance (e.g., a football field isn't long enough to get all the way to 43 mph) at least in my experience. The other day I tried a few runs on a local school athletic field, at about 5 ft AGL, accelerating from 0 with full forward stick. My intention was to start at one boundary of the field, get as close as I could to the line of trees at the other side of the field , and then do a "zoom climb" (full up stick)...I only got to the mid 30s before having to pull up. Remember, obstacle avoidance is OFF, when Sport mode is ON!! While it was nice, the climb rate was not as dramatic as I anticipated...it seems that you don't get the full effect of trading forward speed for altitude with the quad, like you would with a fixed wing airplane.

Another aspect of Sport mode is that your climb and descent rates are roughly doubled.

To achieve these speeds, the MA has to pitch forward significantly more than it would at lower speeds. What that means is that you'll probably see the landing gear in the camera field of view, especially if you have extensions on.

Finally, Sport mode comes at a price...it sucks the battery down BIG TIME!

As to your last point, I've often changed between Sport and GPS modes while shooting video, recording right through the transition, so I suspect you inadvertently stopped the recording.

Sometimes, Sport mode is even useful in film production.
Here's some slow and then some Sport mode at about 40 mph sideways.
Speakers on:

LenSavage - May I ask what park that was in San Diego that you began your clip with? Good video!

Yes it is! Try some tail stands! Get ripping at 40 or so mph directly across your point of view. 50-60 feet off the ground. Then just as you pass in front of yourself press the pause button on the remote controller!
You guys are asking for trouble. Aerodynamics (and wise old pilots) will say to never intentionally stall an aircraft.

I have been flying my Air for a minute, and never tried Sport Mode until last week.

Sick.Speed.Maximum.Maneuverability
I understand that in Sports mode, all sensors shut down. My Air really buzzes along. But beware of nearby objects!

You guys are asking for trouble. Aerodynamics (and wise old pilots) will say to never intentionally stall an aircraft.

Its not a traditional stall. All props are still moving and there is maneuverability.

I was out doing tail stands today and when doing so the Mavic tossed one of my 3 D printed leg extensions. I could not find it afterwards so I will be forced to print another one. There is some force when stopping that slipped the leg extension right off.

No video yet as all people had was camera phones and could not keep the Mavic in the frame .

Another use for Sport Mode. Click into Sport Mode -fly out to the area to film and click into P Mode or Tipod / Other mode. Film -Then click back into Sport Mode and fly back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1