DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sports mode obstacle protections?

volition

Reactions
Hi guys,

I was having a blast playing in sports mode this afternoon as my flying skills improve. In that I was wondering what protections in regards to flying are in place and the limitations.

Has anyone tested it out? I did notice that There is a floor protection. I tried flying low and fast and noticed the drone would only go so low. I understand that APAS is not going in sports mode, so I wonder what it’s using for the floor protections. Is it the RTH altitude, a sensor, what? I wonder if it has any other protections and if so what are they?

I’m hesitant togo close to limits at all till my care refresh s confirmed I did my video verification this afternoon after having the MA2 for 8 days. I wasn’t even aware of that service till yesterday. When that comes through it’ll give me more confidence in certain situations. Right now I’m pretty timid. My sports mode playtime was in a huge open field.

Be very careful: there's no real obstacle avoidance in Sport mode. You're just seeing the landing protection feature when you try to descend to the ground.

There is no obstacle avoidance in Sports mode. It will fly into the ground or into an object. Use Normal mode if you want protection.

I am curious, are the Air 2's sensors MUCH more powerful or receptive than those of the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom?
I just happened to notice the ranges published in the M2A manual
"Downward Infrared Sensor Measurement Range: 0.1-8 mHovering Range: 0.5-30 mVision Sensor Hovering Range: 0.5-60 m " or is there a typo?

I am curious, are the Air 2's sensors MUCH more powerful or receptive than those of the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom?
I just happened to notice the ranges published in the M2A manual
"Downward Infrared Sensor Measurement Range: 0.1-8 mHovering Range: 0.5-30 mVision Sensor Hovering Range: 0.5-60 m " or is there a typo?
I think it is mostly about increased computing power

Thanks, an impressive increase what ever the reason, heading for AGL flying lol

Be very careful: there's no real obstacle avoidance in Sport mode. You're just seeing the landing protection feature when you try to descend to the ground.
Thanks for your response. I was surprised it even did that! As I was under impression it had no protections at all.

At the time I discovered the bottom altitude protection I was travelling very slowly tiny inputs I wanted to see what happened in regards to going close to ground.

thanks again.

The trouble in sport mode is by the time OA detects an obstacle, it's too late to avoid smashing into it.

I did notice that There is a floor protection. I tried flying low and fast and noticed the drone would only go so low.

I don't have the MA2 but my M2P does that in P mode or sport mode. With this feature you can fly as low as 50 cm above ground and 1 meter above water surface at full speed without having to worry about the height. The drone will automatically maintain the height even if you move the throttle stick full down ( but the hold time must be less than one second )

so I wonder what it’s using for the floor protections. Is it the RTH altitude, a sensor, what? I wonder if it has any other protections and if so what are they?

It's the IR sensor at the bottom. You can try covering it up with tapes. The protection mechanism will disappear.

1597196326154.png

Reactions: volition
I don't have the MA2 but my M2P does that in P mode or sport mode. With this feature you can fly as low as 50 cm above ground and 1 meter above water surface at full speed without having to worry about the height. The drone will automatically maintain the height even if you move the throttle stick full down ( but the hold time must be less than one second )

It's the IR sensor at the bottom. You can try covering it up with tapes. The protection mechanism will disappear.

View attachment 110339

perfect answer, so the IR sensor is responsible. And as the common consensus is that “no obstacle detection“ which probably DJI is being sensible in telling us. But in fact it has a limited detection. Once I get the care refresh sorted with my video verification I’ll test that floor a bit more. Obviously I think it would be wise to be careful on uneven grounds.
Thanks again

... And as the common consensus is that “no obstacle detection“ which probably DJI is being sensible in telling us. But in fact it has a limited detection.

For M2P, there is a seperate switch in the GO app to turn off the bottom sensors, then there will be truely zero protection. I have been told that such switch is not available in the FLY app.

The IR sensor at the bottom is not entirely used for obstacle avoidance. It is also used for controlling the descend rate in the last 50 cm when landing. I believe that's why it's not turned off in sport mode.

Reactions: volition
I’m hesitant togo close to limits at all till my care refresh s confirmed
I promise I'm laughing with you on this..but it seems that you might go thru a lot of drones with that thought on flight testing..lol ?

View attachment 110339
Just be careful of any waves on the water surface that could be larger than 1m!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000