DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spreading cremation remains via drone - need advice

Have you looked at an Estes rocket, when the nose cone blows off to deploy the parachute the ashes and glitter will be spread out.

Figure out a way to do it... then do it. Better to ask forgiveness than permission. I seriously doubt anyone is going to cause a fuss given the solemn circumstances. Wonderful way to honor your brother. Condolences.

You can do anything you want with the cremains of relatives, You can disperse them almost anywhere, lakes, mountains, forests, rivers, anywhere.
Just don't do the dispersing in a populated area, like Disneyland, which a lot of folks do.
I would like you said, have "the person" in a bag(s), and you can attach a piece of tape ot something to the bag, and have the other end attached to a fishing rod/line.
When you get to your target alt. 75/100 feet? just give a tug on the fishing line/rod,
and the dispersal should begin.

Good Luck...
My new design is to attach a fishing line to a rubber band on each of the propeller arms.
A small rubber band can be easily adjusted so that it fits snugly on the arm.
The other end of the fishing line would be connected to a very lightweight hair net.
A bag containing the remains and some glitter would then be put inside the hairnet.
the baggie will have a small hole, covered by scotch-tape/fishing line.
Go so many feet upward and let the dispersion begin.
I can experiment with payload weight, to see how the drone can handle it.
I may just go straight up, because I can point the camera down and see what shows up.
The purpose of the glitter is to see a heavenly trail.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I am so sorry to read about your loss. I too have lost a brother that I was close to. Amazon has a remote controlled release mechanism that works really well. Here is the link:
Top Race Drone Clip Remote Control Object Launcher, Release and Drop Drone Delivery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07521DGVD/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_eGn6EbZ9J9WM9
My thoughts and prayers will be with you...

You can do anything you want with the cremains of relatives, You can disperse them almost anywhere, lakes, mountains, forests, rivers, anywhere.
Just don't do the dispersing in a populated area, like Disneyland, which a lot of folks do.
I would like you said, have "the person" in a bag(s), and you can attach a piece of tape ot something to the bag, and have the other end attached to a fishing rod/line.
When you get to your target alt. 75/100 feet? just give a tug on the fishing line/rod,
and the dispersal should begin.

Good Luck...
In reality you can not release cremated remains anywhere you are supposed to gain permission although lots of people do it you can get into trouble.

I am so sorry to read about your loss. I too have lost a brother that I was close to. Amazon has a remote controlled release mechanism that works really well. Here is the link:
Top Race Drone Clip Remote Control Object Launcher, Release and Drop Drone Delivery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07521DGVD/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_eGn6EbZ9J9WM9
My thoughts and prayers will be with you...

Also, some people find that the release doesnt work or that the range is very limited. I have found that simply rotating the yaw will correct this issue. Range about a football field...

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
One concern may be when you pull the line that is taped to the bag on the drone, if taped tightly it may pull the drone enough to interfere with it's flight ability.

From this website The Living Urn

There are no state laws in Maryland that restrict where you can store or scatter a loved one's ashes. Ashes can be kept in an urn or other container, niche, crypt, or grave. The cremation process makes ashes harmless and they pose no risk to our health.

Since this is a project you desire to see through, my input!
Check with neighbors as well! After determining legalities, and approved, I would simply suggest a small sized bag with a portion of the bottom cut. Lightly tape the outside of the bag. Loop a piece of fishline through tiny holes at each end of the tape. When the drone is in hover above the house, take up slack on the fishline and simply increase altitude. Let line rip the bag open as the drone climbs. A solemn, yet simple ceremony to celebrate his life and love. Drone and empty bag come back for landing.

Here is a way you can do it but watch how the drone moves around! When that weight gets to swinging below the drone, things get real unstable! Very small movements are needed! This is a video I did about COVID or as I call it, Corvid!

Here is a way you can do it but watch how the drone moves around! When that weight gets to swinging below the drone, things get real unstable! Very small movements are needed! This is a video I did about COVID or as I call it, Corvid!

Virus on your roof, that's the silliest thing I've heard so far. How are you going to do the grass and driveway, trees and shrubs, your car and everything else?

I have a Mavic Air 2, and I want to spread my brothers remains over my parents house where we grew up. I'm new to drone flying, so I'm not sure what I want to do is possible.
I was thinking of attaching a small plastic grocery bag to the drone. Inside the bag will be another grocery bag that will contain the remains and some glitter. This inner bag will be close so that the remains won't be blown around during takeoff. Both bags will have a hole in it to allow the remains to exit. The inner bag will have a piece of tape covering the hole, and the tape is connected to a string.
So that when the drone reaches a certain height, it will pull on the tape to release his remains.
My problem. If these bags cover my bottom sensors, is my drone unable to fly. I don't know if GPS needs them or not. Do I need to disable obstacle avoidance? I assume, yes.
The flight itself is restricted to a small area. I was hoping to flying a circle around my parents house.
I went to spread my sisters remains on the beach. The day before, I found out that human remains can no longer be place on the beach. They have to be 3 miles offshore or more.
Of corse I did it anyway, most still do. There are no cremation police anywhere to be found. From what I understand, you can place them on your private property anytime.
Good luck with the drone.
I was surprised to see that you can place the entire body in the ocean as long as it is weighted and in at least 600 feet of water, the old burial at sea.

It's a nice thought and I can see why you would want to do this, but It's done from aircraft all the time and often with humorous results that certainly were not intended. The problem is the Ashes tend to be sucked right back into the aircraft. Often the aircraft returns with a large amount of ash still on the aircraft. A friend of mine tried to scatter the ashes from his Grumman Tiger. If you know that particular plane you know that it has a canopy that can be slid partially back in flight. you would think that might be perfect but what happened was that 100 % of the ashes and heavier remains of the dearly departed came right back into the aircraft. If you picture a take off from a very dusty field you can visualize the situation. I'm sure there are plenty of people who know how to properly do this, and I hope they respond.

I think your off your rocker how can you drop powder on crows (corvid)

Yuppers, swinging loads are a totaly different animal.
Takes another certification for rotary winged (helicopter) pilots...

You get it done mate and dont tell anyone there is always a **** about no matter where you go

Virus on your roof, that's the silliest thing I've heard so far. How are you going to do the grass and driveway, trees and shrubs, your car and everything else?

of course it was silly! The whole thing is silly! But it is a way you spread the remains!

plastic bag may not be the best option. I’d suggest a small funnel. Can make one using cardboard box.

My new design is to attach a fishing line to a rubber band on each of the propeller arms.
A small rubber band can be easily adjusted so that it fits snugly on the arm.
The other end of the fishing line would be connected to a very lightweight hair net.
A bag containing the remains and some glitter would then be put inside the hairnet.
the baggie will have a small hole, covered by scotch-tape/fishing line.
Go so many feet upward and let the dispersion begin.
I can experiment with payload weight, to see how the drone can handle it.
I may just go straight up, because I can point the camera down and see what shows up.
The purpose of the glitter is to see a heavenly trail.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy