DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

St Lawrence Church ? Hell fire

Pacefast

Reactions
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is s complete re work of my Hell fire video on request of the Church !
The 3 Hellfire caves , The Church Golden ball and Family burial ground are all inter connected !
This video is highlighting the Church and I have interior Shots of the 18 century italian art still to do and add to the video to complete !
Please pull it apart , make recommendations etc ! Where in the video should I put the interior etc

Thanks

Peter

The addition of (supremely tasteful and magnificently appropriate) music to that has made ALL the difference. I was actually emotionally affected by the video this time ! :)

As far as shot lengths and choices go I would try and make those even more connected with the music by tying fade outs / transitions to timing elements within the music. I don't mean on a strict bar by bar basis, but I mean following the flow of the phrasing, so that your shots close and fade as a musical phrase also comes to an end. And although your current transitions aren't bad you can make them more varied and impactful by swapping a few out for fades to black, small pause, and back in again with a different one.

Presumably because you are still deciding on final edit choices, we go a bit wrong when the music fades out early and we are left with silence until it restarts (restarting the same thing also not ideal !).

What I like to do where you have to use more than 1 track (and you can't edit footage down enough to fit it (or seamlessly extend the music, which is easier than you might imagine) is also record 10 mins of ambient sound at the site (just on a phone app is fine (and before drone launches) and then play that back at low volume throughout the entire video (except the inside shots), so that when the soundtrack fades off briefly, or transitions into a new one it can 'fall back' to relaxing birdsong and countryside sounds, which is much less jarring than sudden silence. Also don't do music fades quickly - it is totally fine (and classy) to take 10-15 full seconds fading out a track so it transitions more beautifully into countryside ambience. And more than just setting a fade time, customise them so they have nice 'hysteresis' and natural (non-linear) curve to the fades.

As for where you might insert the ground-based internal shots, again, I would try and identify sections in the music where a new theme is brought in, or the chord sequence shifts, which will subtly blend and underscore the shift between aerial footage and not. You can better define the shift between aerial footage and not by fading to and from black rather than transitioning. I aim for 3-4 second fades out, and 1-2 second fade-ins, which 'feel' comfortable and unhurried to the viewer. Hopefully you can sense that there should be no jump-cuts anywhere in this video (with possible exception of intro and exit cards); everything should fade, transition or glide like your flying machine does in the footage !

I would also do a separate edit much in the vein of the above, but tweaked to perfection that is just the aerials, because they are so good.

Hope that helps.