DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stability? Air vs Pro 2 vs Phantom?

RicGPDX

Reactions
I'm still using my original drone, a Mavic Air 2. The video quality actually mixes well with footage shot with pro cameras and 4K originals make a great 1080 HD encode (nobody except editors want 4K yet).

As my flying skills have improved over the past 50 hours or so, I'm noticing that even with all the settings dialed in for videography as well as they can be (and I've spent a huge amount of time researching and tweaking them), I still can't avoid the occasional minor bobbles during a complex move that I would never get working with a tripod, dolly, or jib. This has been even more frustrating in my last couple of shoots which were indoors in a large auto shop and I had to use prop guards. (Yes, jellying.) But I still experience it outdoors, especially if there's a bit of wind or I'm trying to pull off a complex 3-axis move.

For those of you who have invested more and gone with a Mavic Pro or Phantom, do you see that providing generally smoother shots that with a smaller drone? Is it like a camera where the inertia of weight works in one's favor.

Thanks,
Ric

if you have set the cameras parameters for the smoothest settings,then it is really down to you, controlling the drone in as gentle a manner as possible
does the drone have a tripod mode for inside work ,it is very difficult to get perfect video all the time, and it does not really matter that much if you are going to be editing it afterwards,
you have to remember that there are many forces acting on the drone as it flies,and it always amazes me at what a good job the gimbal does of giving a stable image, even when the drone is being thrown around in the wind

With my M2P I mostly fly and pan very slowly with deliberate focus. Then I can speed up my video in post with no noticeable loss of image quality. Search my name and Sedona for some examples. All were done this way.

Reactions: old man mavic
The Air, I've noticed, has some issues with wind and turbulence and really needs very quiet air so complex, 2- or 3-axis moves to stay steady. I've used the various cinematic modes and created control settings that go a bit further.

Also, when I do indoor shoots with propeller guards, I notice a fair mount of "jellying" and was wondering if the Pro has similar issues when it's wearing its guards.

Reactions: old man mavic
The Air, I've noticed, has some issues with wind and turbulence and really needs very quiet air so complex, 2- or 3-axis moves to stay steady. I've used the various cinematic modes and created control settings that go a bit further.

Also, when I do indoor shoots with propeller guards, I notice a fair mount of "jellying" and was wondering if the Pro has similar issues when it's wearing its guards.
the guards should not make any difference ,but in practice i think that the affect of the high speed air from the props passing over the structure of the guards ,can cause a slight oscillation in the drones airframe which will give some jello more so when hovering

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom