DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Staggering quality improvement using AI Gigapixel on MP2 Files

Sure - post the original RAW file somewhere I can download and I'll see what I can get out of it.

I also think that maybe you don't fully understand what RAW files are intended for, and please don't take that in a negative way, it's just in the way you worded your response. RAW files are just that - the RAW data. On the surface you might think they should be higher quality (and technically they are) but not straight out of the camera. They have no correction to them whatsoever with regards to levels, sharpening, saturation, distortion correction, vignetting, etc. and that is the way they are intended. When you shoot a JPEG with the drone or your cell phone or whatever else, the camera is processing a RAW image for you. A RAW image on it's own is always going to look flat, soft, and dull compared to the processed version. Further to this, simply taking a RAW image into a RAW converter and saving it does nothing, unless that program has presets that get applied - the RAW files have maximum malleability and are designed to have numerous corrections applied while giving you the most leeway to do so. Hope that makes sense. Feeding a RAW file though up-res software and nothing else is not going to yield the best results.
Hi Canada Drone

Sorry yes probably wasn't that clear. Been processing RAW files for a long time but my point was from just a RAW editor you can not achieve the result I managed at the top of the post. I could be wrong but nobody has posted something similar out of a RAW convertor. I hope they do as it's one less step I would need to make. I feel that's important because it almost gives "back" what the convenience and portability takes away from image quality if you follow my meaning. That result has renewed my enthusiasm if you like in the MP2 but I think I'm still going to wait and see what the Phantom 5 is like in terms of image quality (that's all I care about really) and compare and make a call then.

Cheers Bussty

Do they still do a 30 day free trial of Gigapixel? Checked their web page but just get a trial for the main suite Topaz Studio.

Hi Canada Drone

Sorry yes probably wasn't that clear. Been processing RAW files for a long time but my point was from just a RAW editor you can not achieve the result I managed at the top of the post. I could be wrong but nobody has posted something similar out of a RAW convertor. I hope they do as it's one less step I would need to make. I feel that's important because it almost gives "back" what the convenience and portability takes away from image quality if you follow my meaning. That result has renewed my enthusiasm if you like in the MP2 but I think I'm still going to wait and see what the Phantom 5 is like in terms of image quality (that's all I care about really) and compare and make a call then.

Cheers Bussty

I forgot yesterday - I will see when I can do when I am home from work today.

Hi Canada Drone

Cheers Bussty

Thanks for sharing that software i didnt knew it and yes it does work very well on M2P raw photos.

I have just messed about with the raw in Adobe lightroom cc using the Mavic DJI setting and upping and leveling everything. It looks good for me.
Sky is overexposed. Do you know if a Filter was used on this photo taken on the Mavic.Screenshot_20181128-214306_Lightroom%20CC.jpeg

Uploading to this site has [emoji375] the details but on my laptop the photo looks great when processed the Raw file.

LRM_EXPORT_58822911074652_20181128_214414984.jpeg

Hi Canada Drone

Cheers Bussty
That's what I've been waiting for the next phantom. I'm really peed that DJI didn't give the 4k 60 FPS to the Mavic 2. And they've just released that osmo pocket handheld device with 4k 60 FPS what's that all about. DJI does some silly idiot things. So if you film using the pocket 4k 60 the Mavic 2 can't be used that's just a basic kick in the nutts for Mavic Pro 2 users.
A big 2 grand kick in the Nutts DJI.

That's what I've been waiting for the next phantom. I'm really peed that DJI didn't give the 4k 60 FPS to the Mavic 2. And they've just released that osmo pocket handheld device with 4k 60 FPS what's that all about. DJI does some silly idiot things. So if you film using the pocket 4k 60 the Mavic 2 can't be used that's just a basic kick in the nutts for Mavic Pro 2 users.
A big 2 grand kick in the Nutts DJI.

The Osmo pocket is only using a 1/2.3" sensor - it's a lot easier to get really fast sensor readouts on such tiny sensors. A lot easier to cool it too, I Imagine.

I have just messed about with the raw in Adobe lightroom cc using the Mavic DJI setting and upping and leveling everything. It looks good for me.
Sky is overexposed. Do you know if a Filter was used on this photo taken on the Mavic.

Uploading to this site has [emoji375] the details but on my laptop the photo looks great when processed the Raw file.

Hey GavieboyDji thanks for having a crack at that. Could you do me a favour and zoom your edit in to the same degree as the original post and place the two together and post to compare? Or can you post a full res link to the edit version and I can try? No worries if too big a hassle.

Cheers

Bussty

Had a quick play using Lightroom only, it's a very nice file with minimal noise.

Hello 4WD

Thanks also for having a crack at that. Could you do me a favour and zoom your edit in to the same degree as the original post and place the two together and post to compare? Or can you post a full res link to the edit version and I can try? No worries if too big a hassle.

Cheers

Bussty

Thanks 4WD for going to that trouble. I think that's actually pretty good coming straight out of a RAW convertor but I have to say that step of going through AI Gigapexel really kills the noise and still gives you that little bit more photorealistic depth and fine details. I tried to edit as close to yours as possible (Giga on the Right). I'm going play around with a couple of other DNG's and see how it fares. Cheers
compare.jpg

Huge was a bit overstated, however the more you angle up the worse it gets, thus if you are attempting a pano, out of 9 horizontal images, 3 across each down, middle and top, the bottom and top have pretty extreme horizon curves, unless processed out in LR or ACR, but I don't find I prefer the colors, and overall lens correction in Adobe for MP2.

Paul C

The FFOV video demonstrates exactly how much (or little) distortion and vignetting the lens produces. Answer: not all that much given the type of camera/focal length. Just look at GoPro (older ones of course since the new one fixes it all before saving it).

As has been said by others. RAW files are not finished and you shouldn't expect them to be. It really doesn't take very much to get them looking great in LR or PW using Nik presets. I"m loving the M2 image quality and I have Inspire2 with X5, P4P drones to compare it with. The P5 might come out a bit better because of the lenses but it is very unlikely we will buy one because we love the size of the M2 and use the I2 when we need more.

As has been said by others. RAW files are not finished and you shouldn't expect them to be. It really doesn't take very much to get them looking great in LR or PW using Nik presets. I"m loving the M2 image quality and I have Inspire2 with X5, P4P drones to compare it with. The P5 might come out a bit better because of the lenses but it is very unlikely we will buy one because we love the size of the M2 and use the I2 when we need more.
I'm pretty convinced now if you want even more out of your MP2 images (noise/details) then run them (as in a TIFF) through AI Gigapixel and you will have a better result than any standard image editor or RAW convertor can provide to the point I would say it "gives back" the quality some would say has been lost in the MP2 images. That's been my findings at least.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman