DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Steam locomotive

Love steam trains. I work on a RR, and would love for a steamer to roll through! The coolest thing we've had run on ours was the Barnum & Bailey circus train, on it's way to Grand Rapids. Wish I had my mavic back then!

I just found a video on my iPad the officers accidentally recorded of themselves....it’s epic but I’m not sure this forum is the appropriate place to post it.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Hmmm after seeing the video I can see why you caused a bit of a fuss, a shame as your behaviour has likely helped cause problems for other operations who act more responsibly.

Hmmm after seeing the video I can see why you caused a bit of a fuss, a shame as your behaviour has likely helped cause problems for other operations who act more responsibly.

Sarcasm?

When we are finished, anyone will be allowed to operate drones in the parks hassle free. This is the largest county park system in the state, so it’s kinmd of a big deal
The state forbids these guys from enacting or enforcing any rules regarding unmanned aircraft.

In 2016, the Michigan legislature enacted MCL 259.305 which provides, in pertinent part: “(1) Except as expressly authorized by statute, a political subdivision shall not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution that regulates the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft or otherwise engage in the regulation of the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft.”

Drones are a trivial matter. Detaining people without reasonable suspicion is a federal Civil rights issue.

Reactions: mereflyer and mnis
If the end of that video is unedited(and I am assuming it is), I still think you could have simply brought the AC down and headed back to the offices and showed them the paperwork you had in your pocket and explained that the park police were misinformed. At that point, I would think they would notify all park personnel that it was “legal” to fly there (responsibly per FAA)
With that said, what has happened since the incident? Have you challenged the language they have added to the park brochure? Can you now fly there without being approached by park police? Or have you done nothing yet?

Reactions: mereflyer
If the end of that video is unedited(and I am assuming it is), I still think you could have simply brought the AC down and headed back to the offices and showed them the paperwork you had in your pocket and explained that the park police were misinformed. At that point, I would think they would notify all park personnel that it was “legal” to fly there (responsibly per FAA)
With that said, what has happened since the incident? Have you challenged the language they have added to the park brochure? Can you now fly there without being approached by park police? Or have you done nothing yet?

I had already performed this step in November. I had assumed that a simple email was all it would take. After several emails back and forth, The chief of park police and the commission understands that the park is not allowed to regulate drones due to state preemption and they also realized their current ordinance did not apply to drones, but the fact of the matter is they don’t want drones in their park.

It’s a bizarre position. It’s not their park, it belongs to the citizens. We elect or appoint these people to uphold the laws, not break them.

My assumption was that while thumbing their nose at the legislature and choosing to ignore the law was their public position, certainly they informed their officers that it is against the law for them to regulate drones.....I had assumed, incorrectly, that officers had likely been directed to encourage people to not fly at the park, but not actually interfere with pilots who are not breaking the law.

Citizens have limited options when it comes to forcing a municipality to comply with state law.

We are taking a multi-tiered approach. Non-violent protest is certainly one strategy. This is not an act of civil disobedience as flying drones in the park is not unlawful. Regulating drones in the park however, is unlawful.

In the end, i have no doubt the park will change its stance on this issue. My goal is that nobody else has to endure this struggle.

It is regular citizens like you and me that need to speak up and fix these local issues.

“The chief of park police and the commission understands that the park is not allowed to regulate drones due to state preemption and they also realized their current ordinance did not apply to drones, but the fact of the matter is they don’t want drones in their park.”

That’s like a cop pulling you over when you’re going 25 in a 30 zone and saying “I know the speed limit is 30, but we do not want you to go over 20”

Ok , that’s nice. I’ll be doing 30, officer.

Why protest? Just fly. You have them by the balz.

What am I missing here? If they were to do something again, then you bring a suit against them, no?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada