DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stick Mode

JD1964

Reactions
I have been practicing flying around my back yard at low altitude and slow speed C mode zig zagging through the tree trunks. I had it suggested to me to try without the sticks on the controller and I did. I like that way better. I’ll try without sticks in open field conditions at higher altitude and speed at another time. I’ll post back and tell you what I think on that.

As for stick mode, I’ve only used Mode 2 so far. Looking at Mode 1 setting, I think I might try that. It seems maybe having the forward / backward and turn left / right control under one thumb might simplify things now that I understand basic flight operations.

Am I missing anything here? Also, why does the app put Mode 2 as default? What modes do you all like and please tell me if you also use custom control settings and why.

Thanks, John

Mode 2 is what I use.

Some pilots may switch to a different mode if use to flying a real plane or a history of gaming where the controls may be similar.

I'm a "pincher" when flying for control and a "thumber" when just flying about.

In case you haven't heard the terms, a pincher uses the finger and thumb at the top of the joysticks.

A thumber rests the thumbs on top of the sticks.

Probably why the tops have a knurled construction for grip.

I flew a few times without the sticks and didn't care for it.

Enjoy your flights John with or without the sticks. :)

Reactions: JD1964
Mode 3 guy here. Not sure why I prefer it, given that I fly FPV, but I can't stand Mode 1/2 on a camera drone.

I tried stick mode 1 and didn’t like it. I thought I would get a more omnidirectional control out of the left stick in mode 1 but that didn’t happen. Its back to mode 2 for me.

Reactions: Hawkeye.
Was going to post about this but see this post already.
Being very new to drones (but not to using controllers) I just left it as it was, mode 2 I think. But being a regular FPS console gamer, Mode 2 was the opposite way round on the on rc2. Today ive swapped to mode 3, I think this best mimics roughly what im used to. Anyone else have a similar thought?

Attachments

• sticks.png
    sticks.png
    70 KB · Views: 3
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member