DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still getting a lot of glare

Howcroft22

Reactions
Still getting a lot of glare even with The polarized filters by polar pro. I tried the ND16. Any idea why? When I hold it up to my eye it’s doing its job and the glare is gone. But on the camera it’s there.

You’re going to have to experiment with the correct rotation of your polarising filter. It’s easy with a dslr as you can reach the lens easily. Much more difficult with a drone at 400ft and 4 miles away.

Reactions: MadValley
You’re going to have to experiment with the correct rotation of your polarising filter. It’s easy with a dslr as you can reach the lens easily. Much more difficult with a drone at 400ft and 4 miles away.
Yeah. I’ve been trying to spin it and spin it. It doesnt seem to take any of the glare away. It’s weird that it works perfectly when I look through it with my bare eye.

Last edited:
But your bare eye is not on the camera in the position that you are trying to take the picture from. The polarising filter will only work at a specific rotation at that point. Any other position will not be as effective. Used remotely, a polarising filter really needs to be motorised so that you can rotate it at the position you are filming from.

With that low a sun angle you'd probably want (at least) an ND32. But shooting straight into the sun with such a wide angle lens is always going to be problematic. By the time you stop the sensor down enough to handle the sun everything else will be dark. Try coming at the shot from more of an angle (use a sun hood on the gimbal or you'll get internal refraction issues). Polarizing filters are (as stated above) a crap-shoot. I usually just use vertical or horizontal and hope for the best. But in your case I think the issue is an over exposure one.

A polariser will not achieve much at that angle. The camera is pointing towards the Sun in that image. Circular polarisers have the greatest effect at a 90 deg. angle to the Sun.

But your bare eye is not on the camera in the position that you are trying to take the picture from. The polarising filter will only work at a specific rotation at that point. Any other position will not be as effective. Used remotely, a polarising filter really needs to be motorised so that you can rotate it at the position you are filming from.

It’s **** near impossible to rotate it while it’s on the camera. I’m worried I’m going to break the gimbal. I don’t Snapit on all the way I just barely put it on there and try to rotated but I’m still not getting rid of the glare. Hopefully I’ll figure it out eventually

A polariser will not achieve much at that angle. The camera is pointing towards the Sun in that image. Circular polarisers have the greatest effect at a 90 deg. angle to the Sun.

That is very good to know. I wish there was a way I could make it so if I’m flying back or wherever and I have to fly in the direction of the sun and still be able to see where I’m going. It seems like whenever I’m flying at just before sunset it’s always right in my face either going out or coming home and I can’t see where I’m going at all. I end up just flipping the map on and making sure I’m high enough to fly over obstacles

I wish the high-end polarize sunglasses companies would make some polarized lenses for the Mavic. Like Costa Del Mar. Both of my pairs of fishing sunglasses by them stop any glare whatsoever when facing the sun and I can see really well.

Last edited:
9E6B6696-05A9-4F55-8269-CC5C47C4229E.jpeg So I played with all 3 filters until I got the darkest spot on each of them then marked them with a sharpie. Hopefully I’ll get better results tomorrow. I definitely wasn’t in the right spot before. The hardest part was holding the mavic with one hand and trying to hold the filter and spin it with the other. But all 3 are now marked.

Reactions: MadValley
This will polarize the image in one direction only. As soon as you yaw the craft left or right the effect will diminish.
I would advise never to rotate a filter whilst it is on the lens of the Mavic as this will put a huge load on the roll motor. If you held the filter just off the lens then that is fine. But you can do the same by holding the filter up to your eye and getting the polarization you require then fitting the filter to the Mavic. But again, this will only work for that particular camera angle to the Sun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aodgizmo