DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still Struggling for distance post FCC Mod

Jogon

Reactions
No idea why. should I always fly in 5ghz mode?

This is my current app/aircraft/RC Pro versions

Does anyone with the RC Pro and Mini3 Pro thats had the FCC hack have the same versions as me and if so are are you struggling for distance?

I fly from a particular place, on my old mini2 and the N1 controller I could fly a particular distance with zero problems, now with the set up below along with the FCC Mod can still just about fly that distance but it loses signal a few times
even though I picck up more satellites?

Thamkyou!

App is 1.10.1 on my RC Pro
Aircraft 01.00.0600
RC Firmware: 03.02.0200 (RC Pro)

You've confirmed for sure that it's in FCC mode?
I ran the mod a while back and it works great. I fly in mostly difficult locations. Down town in the city, lots of interference. Works gooood.

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 64
Yes i’ve got the mod running, here is my transmission line

Attachments

• fcc mode.JPG
    fcc mode.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 89
When deployed, how are your antenna aimed? Like this? I have found it makes a huge difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-09 4.53.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-09 4.53.53 PM.png
    264 KB · Views: 76
@Jogon firstly ,whatever transmission mode you are using ,has nothing to do with the Number of Satellites that the drone receives
the FCC or CE transmission protocol's are simply the power output of the transmitted signal from the RC to the drone
these are governed in the UK by Ofcom

When deployed, how are your antenna aimed? Like this? I have found it makes a huge difference.
Hi, I’m pretty certain thats how I use my controller when the drone is out on it’s travels.

On some occasions I’m losing signal or at least experiencing the low signal warning at less than 300m on occasion and this is in an open countryside with a reasonably flat terrain.

No idea why. should I always fly in 5ghz mode?

This is my current app/aircraft/RC Pro versions

Does anyone with the RC Pro and Mini3 Pro thats had the FCC hack have the same versions as me and if so are are you struggling for distance?

I fly from a particular place, on my old mini2 and the N1 controller I could fly a particular distance with zero problems, now with the set up below along with the FCC Mod can still just about fly that distance but it loses signal a few times
even though I picck up more satellites?

Thamkyou!

App is 1.10.1 on my RC Pro
Aircraft 01.00.0600
RC Firmware: 03.02.0200 (RC Pro)
I have the same problem. I have sent my Drone to the Shop for transmission issues. It has been a month now! I was using the DJI Fly App and I was told to get the FCC DJI App.
I found that the FCC DJI App gives me better coverage but still not the one advertised by DJI. Thus, the reason I sent my Drone back.
Attached I show you the FCC DJI App that I have installed on my Mobile.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023_0711_213227.jpg
    Screenshot_2023_0711_213227.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: Jogon
Thanks for the input, got that.
Not a coms expert but I adopted the procedure recommended by a knowledgable fellow years ago, to ensure all mobile phones are in airplane mode once you've established the Home Pt.

Not a coms expert but I adopted the procedure recommended by a knowledgable fellow years ago, to ensure all mobile phones are in airplane mode once you've established the Home Pt.
I seem to think I did that but I am not 100% but I will try it both with it on (airplane mode) and off and see what the difference is over the usual distance I test them at. I’ll let you know.

Reactions: Octavio
I seem to think I did that but I am not 100% but I will try it both with it on (airplane mode) and off and see what the difference is over the usual distance I test them at. I’ll let you know.
Appreciate your feedback on that aeroplane mode thanks.
The drone does not need the internet to fly, it is self-sufficient with its own system, so leaving or not in aeroplane mode depends on the operator.
When I used the phone to fly.
Nowadays with the RC control, it disables the connection to both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth automatically.
It is not mandatory, but it helps, especially not to receive calls during the flight, nor notifications interfering with the visualization. But technically there is no problem flying or working the application.

Last edited:
I’m curious. What are you guys doing that you’re needing to fly more than say a km away? I’d be nervous flying that distance away in a built up area lol. I’m just a beginner though

I’m curious. What are you guys doing that you’re needing to fly more than say a km away? I’d be nervous flying that distance away in a built up area lol. I’m just a beginner though
FCC mode isn't necessarily about distance. A more powerful control signal is always beneficial to minimize other wifi interference in urban areas and penetrate trees and foliage in rural areas.

It's obvious that in a built-up area, it's important to keep eye contact, and personally I try to avoid flying in a built-up area.
This thing of keeping the Drone in line of sight for eye contact! I have lost an Air 2 Drone doing exactly that, at 150m away from me. If I were looking at my monitor, I wouldn't be flying into a tree on a rocky beach.
I was under the impression that I had passed the trees and turned directly into the trees.
But coming back to the Transmission distance. We follow what has been advertised. If we fly over a farm area or in the sea photographing wails, we shouldn't be losing connection it's ridiculous.
If we experience Connection losses, we lose confidence in the product and it's no longer reliable. We tend to put the Drone aside and discourage our friends.
With my lost Air 2, I didn't have any Transmission issues. But with my new Air 2S, I lost interest.

Reactions: stooge75
I got a fcc mod also and running on version 0200 also on rc pro.
Is version 0400 working? Did someone test this?

there are area's where i still get 600 meters max with FCC enabled.
i do not have line of sight then and i fly over a crowded area.

once i fly to the left until i get line of sight again everything is ok.
with line of sight you can always fly higher to get a better signal and eventually there will be no obstacles between you and the drone

so wherever you can get line of sight you should easilly fly 4KM, if you try to fly around a corner (because there is an obstacle in the way) you will notice that the signal drops rapidly.

there are area's where i still get 600 meters max with FCC enabled.
i do not have line of sight then and i fly over a crowded area.

once i fly to the left until i get line of sight again everything is ok.
with line of sight you can always fly higher to get a better signal and eventually there will be no obstacles between you and the drone

so wherever you can get line of sight you should easilly fly 4KM, if you try to fly around a corner (because there is an obstacle in the way) you will notice that the signal drops rapidly.
If you fly behind a nearby building, you won't get any further than the building. Line of sight is essential for long range flying and maximum range. Ideally, you would fly from an elevated location over the valley below you, which will enable you to fly for miles at tree top level or even rooftop level. The same flight from the valley will lose signal behind the first tall tree or house.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne