DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still worth it?

My MP1 works great. 240 flights, 46 hours of flight time so far with no major software problems, no crashes ever. Just a set of OEM replacement props.

However, I would like an MP2. My strategy is to overstep the MP2 and wait a few years until they come out with an MP3 or whatever. I’m hoping for one with a switchable camera module. It may never happen, but if you wait long enough, even the MP2 will be old stuff. Until then, I’m good with the MP1.

I'm in Europe and currently the MP1 refurbished is going for 800Eur. Do they do promotions regularly?

Do you reckon there will be deals after Christmas?

Thank you all for all the feedback, obviously I haven't decided yet (it will take a while...).
I'm starting to lean to the MP1. I guess I could afford the MP2, it's just that maybe I will be spending on something that I won't take full advantage of. By the way, any of you guys share your MP1 photos online? Some kind of social media like Flickr? I'd like to see the full resolution.
There might be for mp2 and zoom. Mp1 should be getting cheaper as they don’t manufacture them anymore. It’s time to get rid of them.

i would go for the zoom or mavic pro 2 DJI has abandoned the mavic 1 and its still got loads of problems bugs they havnt fixed.
Its absolutl;y annoyed me this theyve dont it on so youll go out and buy the 2 drones its done the op to me. im looking at the Autel Evo fly more package for 999 that is a steal
What bugs.... I haven't had a bug yet.

I have been flying Mavic's since the first release. I have not had a single problem with mine. I flew one into the water being careless but it wasn't the Mavic.... burned a care refresh on that. The Mavic is the most reliable system I own it is an absolute amazing aircraft. If I had to choose between the birds listed and I didn't have anything to fly I would get the MP2. I won't upgrade from a MP to a MP2. Just like I still fly my P3p... There just isn't enough difference in the products to make me make the leap. Not that I can't afford it. I just don't think it changes my flight experience enough to warrant the cost.

I have considered the EVO though. Mainly because it does not have GEO and can be purchased for around 1000.

Hi all.

As said on my check in I have been lurking the forums for a while now. I have a Bebop 2 and I'm thinking to pull the trigger on a DJI soon... The thing is, do you think it's still worth it to buy the Mavic Pro right now? Or should I try to for the zoom at least? The Mavic is 2 years old so I'm wondering...

I'm thinking to upgrade mainly because of the camera... The bebop 2 flies nicely and all however every time I come home from a shooting I think I have a few nice photos until I look at them on the PC. There's too much grain, raw photos come in fisheye which endup a bit distorted when corrected, etc.

Sorry for the wall of text, looking forward to read your feedback.

i love my Mavic Platinum.. As a hobbiest I can not imagine why I would need a better camera than the 4k she comes with.. and a barely used one now are 1/2 the price of the Mavic 2.

Reactions: m0j0
As the old proverb goes - "buy cheap - buy twice". I have just bought my first drone (an M2P) as I have no intention of buying another one for 5 years at least. I'd say get the very best you can afford (and the M2P is the very best I can afford) - Just need to keep the invoice away from management...

5 years?? How many new drones will come out with during the next 5 years?? I was thinking the same about my Mavic Platinum. Still do... but have some doubts about 4 more years of support from DJI.

Reactions: Morkstar
Yeah... That's another thing playing in my mind. I don't want to "risk" buying an older and cheaper version and then feel I need to upgrade after a couple years.
When compared to your bb2 which came out the same year as the mp1 the mp1 is like a Mercedes. The performance of the mp1 is still fantastic but the camera is a bit behind but can still take some good pics and video. My friend flies mp2 and my mp1 flies just as good. The camera makes the mp2 better. It’s all about what you want to spend.

5 years?? How many new drones will come out with during the next 5 years?? I was thinking the same about my Mavic Platinum. Still do... but have some doubts about 4 more years of support from DJI.
True - I know nothing about DJI and their support but I hope (HOPE) that it'll still be supported in 5 years time. I'm thinking that 5 years for the "body" is about right (thinking about photography for a second which is what I know best) so fully expect my new MP2 to last that long. I do think though that tech advancements mean that I've reached that point where the tech is way beyond my amateur needs. I know however that I'll be astounded at what is buzzing around (silently) in 5 years time and will want to upgrade.

That's interesting. What kind of bugs and problems are there in the Mavic 1?

@Derlisz thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look at your channel
Just look through this forum and see what bugs is still happening with the mavic 1.
Mine is the Annoying horizon tilting that's been there for about 4 months now. I have tried everything to fix it but nothing has worked. Autel fixed there horizon problem straight away Dji just doesn't want to know about it now the pro 2 is out!!

The issue with the horizon is not with mavic pro but gimbals in general. My m2p suffers to a degree and so do my handheld gimbals like osmo x3 and osmo plus. Someone has suggested Autel Evo here. That drone has had some crazy problems with keeping level horizon.

As the old proverb goes - "buy cheap - buy twice". I have just bought my first drone (an M2P) as I have no intention of buying another one for 5 years at least. I'd say get the very best you can afford (and the M2P is the very best I can afford) - Just need to keep the invoice away from management...

As quickly as this tech is advancing, I’m afraid this proverb doesn’t truly apply as in 5 years your brand new MP2 will be what a phantom 2 is today.

the mavics are one hell of a machine ! this is from my new mavic 2 5 second shutter speed . the mavics are stable enough to get shots like this .

Just look through this forum and see what bugs is still happening with the mavic 1.
Mine is the Annoying horizon tilting that's been there for about 4 months now. I have tried everything to fix it but nothing has worked. Autel fixed there horizon problem straight away Dji just doesn't want to know about it now the pro 2 is out!!
Autel is pretty much finished and out of buisness now .

i would go for the zoom or mavic pro 2 DJI has abandoned the mavic 1 and its still got loads of problems bugs they havnt fixed.
Its absolutl;y annoyed me this theyve dont it on so youll go out and buy the 2 drones its done the op to me. im looking at the Autel Evo fly more package for 999 that is a steal

Utter nonsense. Please specify these bugs which 'have not been fixed'.

I've been flying a Mavic Pro for the last 12 months and have had absolutely no issues with it. I'd like to know which 'bugs' have prompted your comment.

Reactions: m0j0
That's interesting. What kind of bugs and problems are there in the Mavic 1?

The biggest problem with the Mavic 1 is.........me. I've had mine for almost 2 years now, well actually, I've had a few cos I've had to replace them... it's truly amazing... but I'm sure the newer ones are awesome as well.

MP1 is definitely still worth it. You can get some incredible deals on used ones in mint condition as people just have to have the latest thing and upgrade. I just switched from Spark to a MP1 with hard case and extra battery and tablet holder for what I paid for the Spark fly more combo.

I had a Bebop 2 and was distinctly not in love with it. I wasn't going to buy a new one until the one I had died. The first Bebop 2 I had, disconnected from the controller and I was over a lake and I watched it run out of battery and go into the water.
There were more reasons why I didn't like it, too many to enumerate. The DJI mavic1 pro features satisfied what I didn't like about the Bebop 2. Finally somebody stole it out of my car when I was pumping gas and went into the gas station to pee and the beginning of October of this year.
I was going to wait till spring to buy another one. That way I would be learning it in better weather than what we have here typically in Pennsylvania. However I was keeping my eye on prices. Then b&h photo sold a mavic 1 pro with a beautiful pelican case for $749. I think they called it a green Monday sale whatever that is.
Three weeks earlier the mavic pro was selling for $999 and the pelican case I got was selling for $160.
I have also noticed they are making an interesting upgrade on the mavic 2, they are going to have a visual screen built into the controller for next February I think.
when buying it before Christmas I was concerned that after Christmas there might be a precipitous price drop because of the even newer product release, and their desire to empty out their old inventory. B&h photo said that if the price drops within a 30-day. They will credit me the difference.
When I can get the mavic one pro for half the price of the mavic 2 pro I bought the mavic pro. Saved $750!
I just took the mavic one pro I bought out of the box a couple of days ago. what I like about the mavic pro over the Bebop 2 is the ocusync technology, the mavic pro has an SD card, it has forward object avoidance technology, 12mb photos ,4K video, longer distance, lights front and back, better tracking.
what I did like about the Bebop 2 over the mavic pro was the waypoint program. I was seriously considering buying the anafi just for that reason. I did not like the absence of object avoidance on the Anafi, and the wi-fi system seems to be too easy to be interfered with. Also with the depressed price of the mavic 1 pro, compared to the price of the Anafi, $150 I could get a much better drone.
I also understand I'm going to have to buy the Lichti software to get a decent waypoint program for the mavic pro.
We were in similar situations and that's how I decided my outcome. My guess is as it gets closer to the release of the new upgrade of the mavic 2 pro controller the mavic one pro price might even drop further.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I was in a similar situation to you. In the end I went with the MP1 and don't regret it. I purchased a DJI refurb fly more combo during an eBay sale at effectively the same price used MP1's sell for around here. MP2 cost was just too much to justify a purchase based on my requirements. My other option was the Mavic Air, however the additional flight time plus some other features swayed me in the MP1 direction.

I lost my Mavic 2 Zoom (my own fault) in October, and since then I've bought two Mavic Pro's on eBay (roughly $600 each.) Both are EXCELLENT drones - with FINE cameras. The M2 does have an optical zoom - whereas the Mavic Pro's zoom is digital. Frankly, I can't tell the difference for my purposes. If cost is a factor, I'd go with the Mavic Pro.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78