DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Storing the batteries in the Hub or Drone? Maybe not

Thanks for the video and info Ian.
Until now I've been keeping my batteries in the charger as a handy place to store them so good to be aware of this issue.

To clarify - if make sure I've discharged the batteries to 60-70% then is it perfectly safe to store them in the charger / drone?

And is the optimum storage level when 3 lights are fully lit?

Just took my Mini 2 out of the case for the first time in a month or so. I charged all 4 batteries before putting it away the last time, left three in the hub and one inside the drone. All of them were at 2 lights on and the third flashing when I put them in the AC. It appears they are self discharging, must be one of the lucky ones.

Hi all!
First, thanks to Ian for sharing this information.

Flying a M2Z for 1.5 years I was used to the fact that the batteries discharge automatically to 60-70 % after some days (configure this in the app).
Having bought a Mini 2 some month ago I was irritated that their batteries kept their charge. I read somewhere in a forum that Mini 2 batteries won't discharge automatically and was "pleased". Yes, LiPo's should be stored at 2/3 charge to be stable so I wasn't really pleased at all.

Having the fly more package I stored the 3 batteries in the charger but put the charger in a LiPo bag which was designed for keeping 3 Mavic Air batteries but fits perfect for the whole Mini 2 charger after having removed the inner separations of the bag.

Reading the different opinions in this thread I took one battery out of the charger for 48 hours and put all 3 of them in the Mini 2 to get the exact charge using the app afterwards.

The one out of the charger had 94%, the two stored in the charger had 93 resp. 94 %. Firmware is up to date, all batteries were fully charged aprox. 10 days ago.

So it seems not all of the Mini 2 batteries discharge like stated in the manual if they are stored outside the charger or drone. Or perhaps they need more time to do this. I will try to monitor this but it's something I didn't expect from DJI products.

I will keep them in the charger but separate the contacts with some removable isolation tape and put the charger in the LiPo bag. But I won't charge them after flying but store them more or less empty if they don't discharge automatically in the future.

Reactions: Ian in London
Some may know, but it seems many more don't. The auto-discharge function doesn't always work when you store the batteries inside the drone or an unplugged charging hub. Which has a real bad impact on your batteries.....

Ian, thanks for the info. Glad to see the guy who runs Ted’s drone channel have this info getting out there! We’ll spread the news.
Tom

Appreciate the heads up Ian, this really needs addressing by DJI.
Just knocked up a temporary cover to prevent the battery engaging the contacts in the hub - it simply hinges away when you need to charge but blocks during storage.
960465d319c179ae8f971fd61dc892ac.jpg
I just turn the batteries around away from the connectors and push them down until they bottom out. A tight squeeze but not too tight.

Every time you press the button on the battery to check the charge level, the daycounter resets and starts over again. This means that the battery will take ages to discharge when you check the charge level every day.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Update from DJI:-
"DJI is working on a firmware update for the Mini 2 and its battery system to initiate auto-discharge when batteries are in the drone or charging hub and have not been used recently. When placed in the drone or charging hub, the batteries use a minute amount of charge to maintain vital functions and does not initiate auto-discharge. DJI recommends that batteries are removed from the drone and/or charging hub when batteries need to be stored for a long time."

Thanks for the DJI update.
After having the batteries out of charger or drone for 2 weeks now (thanks to the bad weather here) I just checked them in the drone and they are down to 70%.
So the above comments are right, it takes some time until the automatic discharging gets started outside the charger/drone, but it works!
Thank all of you for sharing your knowledge!

Update from DJI:-
"DJI is working on a firmware update for the Mini 2 and its battery system to initiate auto-discharge when batteries are in the drone or charging hub and have not been used recently. When placed in the drone or charging hub, the batteries use a minute amount of charge to maintain vital functions and does not initiate auto-discharge. DJI recommends that batteries are removed from the drone and/or charging hub when batteries need to be stored for a long time."
Wow, did you hear that crash! I think it was GadgetGuy's ego and reputation imploding!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Ashjuk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys