DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Storing the batteries in the Hub or Drone? Maybe not

More errors. "Industry-standard view is that swelling batteries are a sign of Internal damage that can cause a failure in mid-flight" Exaggerate much? A hypothetically swollen Mini 2 battery would not fit inside the drone. It is not internal damage, but only the mild physical deformation of a Lipo battery that causes any potential electrical disconnection in flight from swelling. Swollen batteries do not fail. They still maintain an electrical charge and perform just as well as an undeformed battery, aside from impact of the physical deformation. When used as supplemental external batteries, swollen LiPo batteries perform just as well as unswollen batteries.

It's one thing to point out that an undocumented feature exists so that the user can prevent auto-discharge from occurring, but falsely claiming it is "the industry-standard view" that it will lead to crashes on the Mini 2 is alarmist hyperbole and fear mongering click bait just to get YT views! There is not a single documented case of any Mini 2 battery ever swelling, and the design of the Mini 2, unlike the Mavic 2, would prevent any hypothetical battery swelling from causing an in flight electrical disconnection. Much ado about nothing!

Every single RC website has the same advice on swollen batteries as did my CAA PfCO and A2CofC training, so from my view, it is an industry-standard view. If you have a different view and know better than practically every RC website and airspace regulatory body, then great.
I'm bored of you constantly claiming I'm full of errors and being alarmist because you have a different opinon; you're actually a rude know-it-all and really, I'm done pushing water up hill with you. Go fly your kite....

Every single RC website has the same advice on swollen batteries as did my CAA PfCO and A2CofC training, so from my view, it is an industry-standard view. If you have a different view and know better than practically every RC website and airspace regulatory body, then great.
I'm bored of you constantly claiming I'm full of errors and being alarmist because you have a different opinon; you're actually a rude know-it-all and really, I'm done pushing water up hill with you. Go fly your kite....
Agree. I've flown RC planes for many years with Lipo packs. My son flys as well. He use to leave his packs fully charged because he still works and wanted them ready to fly at all times. His packs started swelling after a few dozen flights and were shot by 50 flights or so. I am retired so I charge my packs just before I am ready to fly and leave them discharged until the next flight. I started recording the charge cycles and find I am getting on average around 300-400 cycles before my packs need replacement. I fly more aggressively then my son, so I can only assume it is because he leaves his packs charged all the time. His packs also swell early on and that is always a bad sign. Swollen packs will heat up faster when flying and have much greater voltage sag during flight which is very noticeable on RC planes. Leaving packs fully charged clearly reduces battery life.

Reactions: Ian in London
As many of us have different experiences here.. Could this have anyhting to do with the firmware in the batteries?

My Mini2 is brand new, but had an early manufacturing date (As I got a damaged box model with significant discount).. And I have never seen the battery firmware update.

Where as other talk of their batteries updating the firmware automatically.

This either means that there are different varients of batteries, some of which need different firmware.. Or the battery update logic is broken/inconsistent.

Reactions: Ian in London
Agree. I've flown RC planes for many years with Lipo packs. My son flys as well. He use to leave his packs fully charged because he still works and wanted them ready to fly at all times. His packs started swelling after a few dozen flights and were shot by 50 flights or so. I am retired so I charge my packs just before I am ready to fly and leave them discharged until the next flight. I started recording the charge cycles and find I am getting on average around 300-400 cycles before my packs need replacement. I fly more aggressively then my son, so I can only assume it is because he leaves his packs charged all the time. His packs also swell early on and that is always a bad sign. Swollen packs will heat up faster when flying and have much greater voltage sag during flight which is very noticeable on RC planes. Leaving packs fully charged clearly reduces battery life.
I concur.. I have a stock of LiPos for various Quads, Planes and Cars and they are all swollen and/or won't provide a full charge.

This is all happened because I am a bit spontanious with my hobbies and like to decide what to do on the fly.. So I always kept my batteries charged, just incase I wanted to fly.. And I rarely did.. So they sat there for months on end, fully charged and all are worthless now...

So I am going to treat my Mini2 batteries with a little more respect as its an expensive mistake to make, leaving them fully charged.

Reactions: RC_Adik
I have also independently verified that the onerous discharge to 96% after 24 hours is no longer present on Mini 2 batteries in the hub and in the drone. The battery in the drone loses only 1% after 4 days. Of two batteries left in the hub after 4 days, one has lost 2% and the other 3%. They are still discharging, just not under the Smart Battery algorithm. DJI claims the batteries left in the hub and the drone are assumed to be ready to be used, and therefore not discharged. I like that choice.
So you have independently verified that your batteries are NOT performing as they should (see section 2, page 21 of the official DJI Mini 2 user manual) and, therefore, there is either a problem with the batteries themselves or the information as provided by DJI.

It seems to me that you are saying you know more about how these batteries should behave than the manufacturer. Somehow I don't think a few years of flying drones makes you the expert on Li-Po batteries.

If DJI says the batteries should auto-discharge to 72% after five days then, that's what they should do, and if that requires you to store them out of the drone and/or hub then that's what I will do.

All due respect, I personally left 2 fully charged Mini 2 batteries in the hub and the third fully charged in the drone for 2 months in the bag in my car. After reading this I checked them. The two in the hub displayed only one remaining light of 4, while the one in the drone displayed only two lights of 4. Clearly, they are still discharging, even if only slowly over time, like any other Lipo, that loses up to 1% per day.

I am happy to know that they are not auto-discharging as aggressively as other DJI batteries, if left in the hub or in the drone! That's an undocumented feature I intend to take advantage of! Those that want the aggressive DJI discharge can simply keep the batteries out of the hub and the drone. Everybody is happy!

I have also independently verified that the onerous discharge to 96% after 24 hours is no longer present on Mini 2 batteries in the hub and in the drone. The battery in the drone loses only 1% after 4 days. Of two batteries left in the hub after 4 days, one has lost 2% and the other 3%. They are still discharging, just not under the Smart Battery algorithm. DJI claims the batteries left in the hub and the drone are assumed to be ready to be used, and therefore not discharged. I like that choice.
GadgetGuy: I don't understand your reply to me (as above). I was simply reporting that our Mini 2 batteries, when left fully charged in the hub, do not discharge at all. They remain at 100% charge several weeks later. Knowing that this is not good for this type of battery, I thanked Ian in London for his advice. I also stated that I'm not alone in having Mini 2 batteries that are not discharging as expected. I think this has already been recognised as a glitch that some of us are experiencing.

More errors. "Industry-standard view is that swelling batteries are a sign of Internal damage that can cause a failure in mid-flight" Exaggerate much? A hypothetically swollen Mini 2 battery would not fit inside the drone.
swelling is actually a sign of the battery vending due to incorrect use or fatigue, incorrect use could be over charging, discharging and not being able to deliver the requested peaks, overall condition of the cell/cells - all indicators of failure and risk hazard

hey still maintain an electrical charge and perform just as well as an undeformed battery, aside from impact of the physical deformation. When used as supplemental external batteries, swollen LiPo batteries perform just as well as unswollen batteries.

still doesnt confirm its proper operation as there structural damage in at least one cell which could lead to a failure at any given time - have we flown with swollen packs? sure, but you have to be aware of the risk, I have seen people losing their models due to this and have spiked/binned packs myself ... just the nature of the hobby
It's one thing to point out that an undocumented feature exists so that the user can prevent auto-discharge from occurring,
the feature of discharge is actually included in the manuals - nothing undocumented, question stands, do all batteries behave the way its documented which he challenges as per his observations and I have seen others claiming the same
but falsely claiming it is "the industry-standard view" that it will lead to crashes on the Mini 2 is alarmist hyperbole and fear mongering click bait just to get YT views!
a battery that doesnt behave as should and especially an electronic circuit makes me even think wider - faulty components from factory? design flaw?

the least he should do is make people aware of it, how many times are products recalled as manufacturing batches have been faulty, material been inconsistent in different production runs etc - which could all apply - no need to call him names or dispute his observations

This concern seems a little overblown and off track. My mini2 batteries appear to properly autodischarge whether or not they are in the charger or drone. And why not? Good work DJI!
Not overblown at all.

If your batteries are behaving as they should according to the manual, then you are one of a very small minority.

As you can see (if you have read this thread, and a number of similar threads both here and on the DJI Forum) it appears the vast majority of us have batteries that do NOT self-discharge as they should.

Not overblown at all.

If your batteries are behaving as they should according to the manual, then you are one of a very small minority.

As you can see (if you have read this thread, and a number of similar threads both here and on the DJI Forum) it appears the vast majority of us have batteries that do NOT self-discharge as they should.
Count me as one of them. I've placed the battery in the drone and the triple battery hub and they don't discharge as they allegedly should.

rcb seems to be under the impression that if it's not happening to him it's not happening to anyone else...​

Reactions: RC_Adik and Ashjuk
Just because you are claiming the sky is falling, doesn't make it so! You are engaging in fear mongering and grossly mischaracterizing the consequences of batteries not self discharging, as you deem they should. If you want them to self-discharge, don't leave them in the hub or in the drone. DJI states the batteries are operating as intended, as they presume batteries in the hub and the drone are intended for immediate use. Batteries not in the hub or the drone are presumed to be stored and properly enter self discharge as they describe, and as I have described, which you continue to misstate. Good luck with your alarmist, misleading You Tube channel!

swelling is actually a sign of the battery vending due to incorrect use or fatigue, incorrect use could be over charging, discharging and not being able to deliver the requested peaks, overall condition of the cell/cells - all indicators of failure and risk hazard

still doesnt confirm its proper operation as there structural damage in at least one cell which could lead to a failure at any given time - have we flown with swollen packs? sure, but you have to be aware of the risk, I have seen people losing their models due to this and have spiked/binned packs myself ... just the nature of the hobby

the feature of discharge is actually included in the manuals - nothing undocumented, question stands, do all batteries behave the way its documented which he challenges as per his observations and I have seen others claiming the same

a battery that doesnt behave as should and especially an electronic circuit makes me even think wider - faulty components from factory? design flaw?

the least he should do is make people aware of it, how many times are products recalled as manufacturing batches have been faulty, material been inconsistent in different production runs etc - which could all apply - no need to call him names or dispute his observations
It is one thing to point out and share that batteries left in the drone and in the hub do not auto-discharge. That, in and of itself is useful information. However, it is quite another matter to then claim that it will lead to crashes and that the sky is falling! That is fear-mongering click bait, which has everyone irrationally pulling their batteries out of their hubs and their drones, for fear of fires and resulting crashes! DJI has responded and says the batteries are working as intended. If you want them to discharge, don't leave them in the drone or the hub, where they are presumed to be ready for immediate use. You may disagree with their intent, but it is their design.

GadgetGuy: I don't understand your reply to me (as above). I was simply reporting that our Mini 2 batteries, when left fully charged in the hub, do not discharge at all. They remain at 100% charge several weeks later. Knowing that this is not good for this type of battery, I thanked Ian in London for his advice. I also stated that I'm not alone in having Mini 2 batteries that are not discharging as expected. I think this has already been recognised as a glitch that some of us are experiencing.
I was only pointing out that despite their not following the "expected" discharge algorithm when left in the hub or the drone, the batteries clearly still do discharge over time, like any other Lipo, and so they will never remain at 100% for more than a few days, and will continue to lose 1-2% charge per day, over time, and will still need to be recharged when they fall below 50% for optimal battery life. Again, the useful information is that if you don't want them immediately discharging, leave them in the hub or the drone. If you do, don't. Everything else about this leading to crashes and battery destruction is wild nonsense!

I was only pointing out that despite their not following the "expected" discharge algorithm when left in the hub or the drone, the batteries clearly still do discharge over time, like any other Lipo, and so they will never remain at 100% for more than a few days, and will continue to lose 1-2% charge per day, over time, and will still need to be recharged when they fall below 50% for optimal battery life. Again, the useful information is that if you don't want them immediately discharging, leave them in the hub or the drone. If you do, don't. Everything else about this leading to crashes and battery destruction is wild nonsense!
The one thing you seem to not acknowledge is that MANY/MOST M2 owners batteries do NOT discharge to storage voltage in or out of the M2 or hub as intended/designed/described.

Just my uninformed guess but I believe that everything is working as designed. If the batteries left in the hub or drone they do not discharge as that would mean you are getting ready to fly shortly.

Case in point you have a shoot to do early in the morning. You charge up the batteries the night before and leave them in the hub. In the morning they are still fully charged. You would not want them to start discharging. For longer term storage you take them out of the hub / drone.

I would say don't change the way that it works, just make it clearer in the manual of how it all works. I have had my 3 recently purchased batteries out of the hub for 4 days and they have discharged as should be expected.

As a side note: My batteries received a firmware update the first time I used them.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest