DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Straight down descent - MPP "jumpy"?

Emsflyer84

Reactions
Hey all, been flying my MPP for a few weeks and have noticed, when coming straight down (full down stick), the MPP seems very jumpy. It will not descend at a smooth, constant rate, it's like the right side of the MPP will descent a bit, then the left, and back and forth at a fast rate of course. When descending slowly, for instance, when completing a RTH and landing, it's fine. Anyone else notice this shakiness during full speed, straight down descent? Thanks!

I think that when you come down quickly you are running into your own turbulence. That would be some pretty bumpy air that the Mavic has to constantly adjust for. You can also hear it making adjustments so if you want to be less noticeable, slow down the decent.

It will be bumpy... Your flying into ur on prop wash. If it had to descend and faster it will simply fall out of the sky because of the ring vortex state..... ( Descend rate faster than the thrust of the prop ). Search for it on the internet. You will never try it again [emoji39]

Or if you have to do a full down stick descent, come down in a spiral or zig zag, therefore staying out of prop wash.

Reactions: AnchorageAk
It will be bumpy... Your flying into ur on prop wash. If it had to descend and faster it will simply fall out of the sky because of the ring vortex state..... ( Descend rate faster than the thrust of the prop ). Search for it on the internet. You will never try it again [emoji39]

Mavic has zero problem with RVS. I routinely descend at 9-10m/s, it's very stable. Moreover, descending at only 3m/s or less just wastes battery for nothing.

Oh XDP I disagree, if you just drop thrust, with no positional input, you are in bad air....look out..

Thanks for the heads up. I've done many descents at high speed (6-10m/s), including multiple descents from 500m and a few from 1000-1200m, and never noticed any instability, and the battery loss was phenomenally low... all that must have been a fluke. :D

Reactions: Simmo
Thanks for the heads up. I've done many descents at high speed (6-10m/s), including multiple descents from 500m and a few from 1000-1200m, and never noticed any instability, and the battery loss was phenomenally low... all that must have been a fluke. :D
Hehe!! If you dive, no worries, you are never in the same place twice... but just dropping throttle, you are in the toilet bowl no?!

Hehe!! If you dive, no worries, you are never in the same place twice... but just dropping throttle, you are in the toilet bowl no?!

No toilet bowl for me... maybe I'm doing it wrong. :D I'm descending at 10m/s straight down... stable... never an issue... what do I need to do to make it go in the toilet bowl? Is there a special TB trick? :D

Reactions: NinjaNut
You must be special bro!!
Sheeze some of my multiwii FC's just give up and die.... even naza2 has a hard time.
But, I'm yet to see it so..........

You must be special bro!!
Sheeze some of my multiwii FC's just give up and die.... even naza2 has a hard time.
But, I'm yet to see it so..........

I thought we all were on Mavic forum, so I'm not special, anybody can try this with their Mavic. What naza2, etc. do at high descent rates, bears no relevance to what Mavic does.

Reactions: Kilrah and NinjaNut
No worries Bud, point taken, its not a you and me thread so let others chirp in about their experiences with terminal velocity in control of their mavic.....

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Mines not on a wire, and there’s bound to be some prop wash adjustments, but descending straight down full throttle...no worries whatsoever. Now the $300 Cheerson/ Phantom knockoff...TOILET BOWL CRASH CITY! ;)

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
The Platinum props turn lower rpms, especially during fast descents which makes things less stable. Borrow a set of standard props and try the same flight.

You can also try adjusting the flight control gain settings to trim PID issues.

Reactions: Brojon
FWIW I noticed the same thing. As the MPP descends it wobbles a bit back and forth. My Spark doesn't do that - it's descents are smooth and straight.

With real helicopters you can enter "Settling with Power" decending vertically at approximately 300' per minute, depending on the rotor system. To get out of it you would either fly horizontally or if your have the space below increase your rate of descent and drop out of it. Dependent on the rotor system you could have either a smooth or violent ride. As an advanced helicopter flight instructor I've been in it thousands of times!

I have only been on a few flights but that is one of the 1st 'odd' things I noticed was the unstable straight down decent. It concerned me a bit, but now that prop was is mentioned it makes sense (using the MPP)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk