DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange warning message

Barbara

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Flying yesterday and got this warning message:

Excessive attitude angle detected, forward obstacle avoidance has stopped working​

Some details:
  • Mavic 2 Zoom
  • Surface winds 20 kph out of the south, gusts 25 kph
  • Altitude 70 m
  • flying North at 40 kph, steady throttle
I did get a "High Wind Velocity" warning about 2 seconds before that. My guess is that I got a sudden, stronger gust from behind tilting the drone more than it liked and initiating the Excessive Attitude warning.

What I don't understand is why it would shut down the forward obstacle avoidance.

Any thoughts?

Because when the drone is tilting forward too much, the sensors aren't seeing ahead enough to function properly.
That's why OA doesn't work in Sport Mode too.
That makes sense. If the sensors point down too far, close to the ground, I suppose things could get interesting.

My next question would then be: Are the sensors disabled for the rest of the flight or only until the drone returns to a normal attitude?

I believe they were functioning again as I was landing, but can't say for certain.

Reactions: DoomMeister
My next question would then be: Are the sensors disabled for the rest of the flight or only until the drone returns to a normal attitude?
From the specs:
Sensing System Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing
Forward Precision Measurement Range: 0.5 - 20 m
Effective Sensing Speed: ≤ 14m/s

If you fly faster (or push into a headwind) , the drone pitches further and the sensors can't effectively see ahead.
When the forward pitch returns to an acceptable angle, the sensors will be working again.

From the specs:
Sensing System Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing
Forward Precision Measurement Range: 0.5 - 20 m
Effective Sensing Speed: ≤ 14m/s

If you fly faster (or push into a headwind) , the drone pitches further and the sensors can't effectively see ahead.
When the forward pitch returns to an acceptable angle, the sensors will be working again.
Thanks Meta4. Having the obstacle avoidance come back on line once the attitude returned to normal is what I thought would be the case.

Double checked my flight log. I was in error when I said I was flying north. I actually had full reverse stick, so I was flying backwards, south, directly into the wind. Effective sensing speed backward is ≤ 12m/s (43 kph). I was about 40 kph. A sudden gust would easily explain the warning then.

Amazing what you can find in the documentation. (if you look) Also love being able to review my flight logs so I can see, in detail, what happened. Thanks again.

Amazing what you can find in the documentation. (if you look) Also love being able to review my flight logs so I can see, in detail, what happened.
The recorded flight data would also show the pitch angle.
I would expect that to correlate with the warning message pretty closely.

Reactions: Barbara
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143