DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe placement

Where in top of the mini 3 is the best place to place a strobe without interfering with the gps?
Apparently, there's no issue with GPS interference from a strobe on other DJI models. I've had no issues and while there have been concerns expressed here, I'm not aware of any reports of problems. I'd expect no problems with putting one on top of my Mini 3 Pro.

Apparently, there's no issue with GPS interference from a strobe on other DJI models. I've had no issues and while there have been concerns expressed here, I'm not aware of any reports of problems. I'd expect no problems with putting one on top of my Mini 3 Pro.
Trying to find the best place on top. Towards the front or back.

Attachments

• 46F68230-4627-4C6A-94F8-792616BC0E75.jpeg
    46F68230-4627-4C6A-94F8-792616BC0E75.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 33
Found this Mini 3 Pro teardown video. The GPS module is located right in the center of the drone's upper side.
So I think the best location to place the strobe light is closer to the front end rather than the back end, as this might interfere the backward obstacle detection. I still need to make sure placing it at the front does not interfere with the camera by shooting light into it.

Found this Mini 3 Pro teardown video. The GPS module is located right in the center of the drone's upper side.
So I think the best location to place the strobe light is closer to the front end rather than the back end, as this might interfere the backward obstacle detection. I still need to make sure placing it at the front does not interfere with the camera by shooting light into it.

I don’t have strobes myself, but on the mini 3 I would have thought best place would be at the rear on battery, then just by turning drone around you know which way it’s facing if that’s the object of the strobe, ease of location, cheers Len

For night flights, I I've been flying with a light centered on top. No problems with GPS or camera at night. (ViFly light in photo, Firehouse Arv V also used.)

I also have a Velcro patch on the rear of one of the batteries if I ever need better visibility from the ground.

temp.m3.strobe.jpg

For night flights, I I've been flying with a light centered on top. No problems with GPS or camera at night. (ViFly light in photo, Firehouse Arv V also used.)

I also have a Velcro patch on the rear of one of the batteries if I ever need better visibility from the ground.
I just got my ViFly today. Having watching that video, I think I'll stick it just a little bit closer to the front end, just to make sure I don't cover the GPS module. This is probably me being over cautious, since when I'm driving, my phone is usually placed in a tray located below the main console, and still yet, it gets the GPS signal without any problems...

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
I know the strobes are only a few grams, but wouldn't CoG be as much of a concern.
I try to mount lights near the CG. But the drone's software for motor speed control apparently copes with changes in weight and balance quite well. We've seen lots of examples of lights mounted far out on the motor arms, on only the front two arms, back two arms, or only one.

Reactions: Torque
Can you see the strobe from below when it's mounted on top?
No. For visibility from the ground, it's essentially worthless once the drone is about 10 feet above the ground. Mounting on top is the best option for visibility to manned aircraft and complying with the FAA requirements.

I've put a piece of Velcro on the battery door but haven't had occasion to need a light yet. A strobe in that position should be readily visible on the ground from aft of the drone.

The Vifly are so tiny
I put velcro on the butt of my batteries
I was worried that they might fall off, but zooming around a bit in sport mode took away that worry.
With them on the back it makes it much easier for my old eyes to locate the drone during the daytime.

Reactions: MarkTun
Just came back from my 1st night flight with the new ViFly. I eventually decided not to place exactly in the middle, since I know this is where the GPS module is located, but rather place it just a little bit closer to the front of the drone.

I was quite sure that 6 grams module will not affect the drone's stability in any way, and sure enough it didn't.
I was also concerned whether the strobe light will affect the camera, but it didn't. I went through all of the images I took this evening, and no issue there too.

Once the drone got to a height of ~10m, the strobe light could not be seen from the ground. I did see the two green lights on the drone's legs flickering throughout the flight, so for me - that is exactly how I wanted it to be.
While the drone was up, there were at least two manned aircraft passing at approximately 300-400 meters right above it. I'm pretty sure they saw the strobe light from above, and I was happy it was on the drone.
Come to think of it: dji should include both an ADS-B an a strobe light modules on every drone they make, the Mini family included.

On a side note: Night flights are so much fun.. :)Thumbswayup

20220809_230042.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard